11th Annual Detroit Auto Show GTG - NAIAS 2018 - January 20 (aka WINTERFEST)

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
Had a great time, guys. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks so much, loved seeing you all! :)

The Golf got a year's worth of suspension wear and tear in one weekend. Not sure how the roads could be THAT BAD, but Michigan really needs some help on that. Wow. :eek:

Oh, and it was really great to see this guy again:

:D

Last edited:
TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
As an employee of MDOT for near 30 years (which I'm kinda embarrassed to admit) tell me about it! Without decent roads everything at NAIAS becomes moot and after all the lipservice from politicians, who control the purse strings, is over, they still don't take the problem seriously and punt it down the road where it only gets more serious and expensive... alright, off soapbox... sigh!:eek:

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
As an employee of MDOT for near 30 years (which I'm kinda embarrassed to admit) tell me about it! Without decent roads everything at NAIAS becomes moot and after all the lipservice from politicians, who control the purse strings, is over, they still don't take the problem seriously and punt it down the road where it only gets more serious and expensive... alright, off soapbox... sigh!:eek:
No snowplowing today, uh Mark?

TDI
Jetta, 2006, Campanella White, Anthracite Int. DSG, Pkg. 1; New Beetle, 1998, Yellow, black leather Int., 2013 Passat TDI SEL Night blue, grey Int. given back to VW (well, not given... ;) ) 2018 Tiguan; first gasser in years
Nah, we've run into a bit of a snow drought but there's still a long way to go. :rolleyes:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Hey Mark - nobody is personally blaming you for the condition of the roads in the Detroit area. Now if you were stationed at one of MDOT's Detroit road maintenance garages be a different story! No wonder you stay up north where summer only lasts a mere two months! :p

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Had a great time, guys. I have not laughed that hard in a long time. Thanks so much, loved seeing you all! :)

The Golf got a year's worth of suspension wear and tear in one weekend. Not sure how the roads could be THAT BAD, but Michigan really needs some help on that. Wow. :eek:

:D
Happy to hear you enjoyed it! Was good to meet you in person at long last!

One of the benefits of traveling is that it makes one appreciate one's local road conditions more. Missouri's roads look MUCH better to you now, no? ;)

oilhammer

TDI
Actually, Indiana, Ohio, AND Missouri's roads are better. Illinois not too bad either, but there were so many cops all over that state that the roads were of secondary concern. I did tip it over 100 a couple times though. :D

r90sKirk

Veteran Member
TDI
All TDI's - No gassers! Luxo-Tourer = 13 Passat (hands down, the nicest car we've ever owned), Most fun = MK4 Golf
Don't forget, you were traveling on the east side of the state, Detroit area is tight on funds, and when they do get some in their coffers, the mayor walks off with it!

While I agree Michigan roads aren't the best, in general our roads on the West side are in better shape than the armpit area of Michigan.

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
Get together was great fun, thanks for organizing this, Lawson.

Was anyone else disappointed by the actual debuts? I mean, if you're into pickups, sure, but beyond that?

I feel like it says something when the car I found most interesting is a car that was debuted at the 2016 show, and is the one that I could easily fall asleep while sitting in (the Pacifica Hybrid).
The auto show has its good years and its bad years. There was nothing particularly exciting this year, but that's the way it goes, I guess.

I'm glad everyone had a good time. The turnout was fantastic and we had people from all over the country. Long live Winterfest! :D

VeeDubTDI

TDI
Was great to finally be back to winterfest again!
Sorry missed some of you Sunday morning and especially carting!! Had to rush back to KY to finish working on a car.
Clint
We ended up going to The Henry Ford Museum on Sunday, as everyone who stuck around did the factory tour on Saturday. The museum is great... so much to see from cars to trains to old machinery and futuristic homes from decades ago.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I describe the Ford Museum as a "millionaire's attic." It's a random collection of stuff, but it's also really interesting stuff. I've been a Buckminster Fuller fan since I was a kid, and it was great to see the Dymaxion House. And the first Ford Mustang convertible, the first Honda assembled in the US, the Lincoln that carried Kennedy in Dallas, and on and on. What a great place.

PeterV

TDIClub Enthusiast, HO5G Doyen & Zen Master
TDI
2000 Jetta 5 sp.
And the 604 ton Locomotive inside you do not want to bump your head on ANY part of that monster... That would really ouch all over!

VeeDubTDI

TDI
And the 604 ton Locomotive inside you do not want to bump your head on ANY part of that monster... That would really ouch all over!
What a machine that thing is. Looking over all of the controls and valves, it’s a wonder anyone was able to make it work. Incredible to think back on the wild and dangerous age of steam. :cool:

Jetter_Sprinta

Veteran Member - TDIClub Contributor
TDI
2 Peeps sharing 1 UseYerName//an array of cars
The only thing that would make the Henry Ford Museum better is to have gone with my dad about 10 years ago. He would spend a day in the steam engine section alone.

oilhammer

TDI
What a machine that thing is. Looking over all of the controls and valves, it’s a wonder anyone was able to make it work. Incredible to think back on the wild and dangerous age of steam. :cool:
The Union Pacific 844 is still in operation, as are a few dozen in China and South Africa.

Local group actually organizes "steam vacations" around them. :) I went and saw the newly restored 844 running to Tennessee a couple years ago. Quite a sight, and that beast looked, sounded, and smelled awesome. Although a large chunk of its train was its own fuel and water (since they no longer have facilities for those).

Last edited:

TDI Owner/Operator
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL
Mid to end of October would be best for the colors around the area. Earlier in October is better North...
Probably not much of an issue down by Detroit in early October but in areas popular with tourists during peak fall color hotel room prices may be higher. That would be the only potential negative with this change in dates I'd think.

For me October is more likely to conflict with other events/plans. Comes down to who announces what first and what I commit to first. I do see the logic in moving the show to October as January is a crap shoot for snow and cold factors.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
October would be fine, although I find it somehow appealing to head to Detroit in January.

The more surprising part of that story is the Mercedes won't be at the 2019 show. With a number of significant brands already missing, I may have to make my way to LA this year.

If they move it, will they not have a show until October 2019?

oilhammer

TDI
It seems the Detroit show just isn't what it once was. LA would be neat to see. Heck, Chicago is probably better now.

VeeDubTDI

TDI
It really feels like the Detroit show is in decline. Lots of missing brands this year and if Mercedes skips it next year, it's just another nail in the coffin.

We're considering taking the train up to New York City this year for the auto show.

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
It sounds like there'll be a January 2019 show, it's just the 2020 show that would be changed. (To October 2019? Or to October 2020?)

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
I usually go to the NY show and it's less than the Detroit show. Fun to go, nevertheless.
I agree. I usually go with my brother. NYC Auto Show usually has lots of concepts. And April’s nice too!

But Chicago would work too.

Last edited: