www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > TDI Model Specific Discussions Areas > VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD)

VW MKIV-A4 TDIs (VE and PD) This is a general discussion about A4/MkIV Jetta (99.5-~2005), Golf(99.5-2006), and New Beetle(98-2006). Both VE and PD engines are covered here.

Old January 14th, 2018, 16:19   #16
turbotorq
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 45ish

Nice! What's the point of the silicone around the edges, does the heater not have an adhesive tear off pad
Old January 14th, 2018, 16:25   #17
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by turbotorq View Post
Ok thanks I'll try it and report back. It may be a cheap option for those not wanting a frost heater
is the pump still working on your frost heater? if so maybe you can just stick it the frost heater's housing? ... that way you can still circulate the warmed coolant
Old January 14th, 2018, 16:50   #18
ScottySK
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 03 Jetta GLS
Default Oil pan heater stuck to PD150 oil cooler for warm up

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimbote View Post
is the pump still working on your frost heater? if so maybe you can just stick it the frost heater's housing? ... that way you can still circulate the warmed coolant

The Zerostart heaters in the kit do not have a pump, they are convection type. Just a heating element in there.

I’ve had an element die on me, must have had an airlock in the housing; bought a replacement Zerostart & swapped the heating element instead of the whole assembly.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Have KII VCDS, will trade time for good microbrews.
ScottySK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 17:19   #19
jimbote

Fuel Economy: golf=38-43mpg...tacoma tdi=29-33mpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottySK View Post
The Zerostart heaters in the kit do not have a pump, they are convection type. Just a heating element in there.

I’ve had an element die on me, must have had an airlock in the housing; bought a replacement Zerostart & swapped the heating element instead of the whole assembly.

my bad, i thought they had an integral pump

Last edited by jimbote; January 15th, 2018 at 04:01.
jimbote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 14th, 2018, 22:16   #20
turbotorq
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 04 Jetta TDI
Fuel Economy: 45ish

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScottySK View Post

Your absolutely right there is no pump. I was actually surprised to find this out myself. My element burned out due to airlock. Then I got black soot circulating through my coolant. Must of been the outer skin of the element. A paper filter solved that issue quick , and also plugged off quick