www.tdiclub.com

Economy - Longevity - Performance
The #1 Source of TDI Information on the Web!
Forums Articles Links Meets
Orders TDI Club Cards TDIFest 2016 Gone, but not forgotten VAG-Com List Unit Conversions TDIClub Chat Thank You

Go Back   TDIClub Forums > VW TDI Discussion Areas > TDI Conversions

TDI Conversions Discussions on converting non TDIs into TDIS. More general items can be answered better in other sections. This is ideal for issues that don't have an overlap and are very special to swaping engines.

Old September 30th, 2016, 14:39   #241
Agent13

Talking sorry about the regurgitating an old post... But....

I'm trying to sort out some wiring in my swap.. This one is the most frightening of the lot , as it has to do with the k-line to my ecu! It appears that I am supposed to connect these gray/white wires (with brown plugs), but ALSO one brown/ white wire? Browns (in VWs) are usually some form of ground wire -just not in this instance? I'm dealing with a somewhat cut up harness here, and I don't have all the blocks. Everything here should be from a 96 passat...

Thanks,
Eric R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bblume View Post
So here's what it looks like

THE DLC connector has the grey/white wire that branches off in three places
One (two pin brown connector matching the brown connector on the DLC harness that continues on grey and white wire goes to ECU pin 61

ANother branch goes to a single pin brown connector that mates up to another brown connector that continues on with a brown and white wire heading to the instrument cluster (this is a mk3 tdi harness goiing to a mk3 tdi cluster but it's the same going to the passat cluster and harness (this looks right, but I'm not sure)

Then I'm left with the third branch of grey and white witt this white connector which I'll have to go back and look on the passat fuse box in the daylight to find where it conncected, but its the mystery of the moment...

Thanks again for all insights...
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 3rd, 2016, 10:14   #242
Agent13

Turns out that the single brown/white wire off the Passat cluster harness is for the trunk indicator! Glad I didn't fry the ECU
Agent13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old October 20th, 2016, 18:57   #243
bblume
Veteran Member

Just saw your question then the solution! Glad to hear nothing was fried!
bblume is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 26th, 2017, 20:24   #244
bblume
Veteran Member

Long time no post....been driving the GTD now and then. It lived at berg performance for a spell getting the cluster wiring resorted. Now I've got tach and speedo and MIL and turn indicators and temp and fuel level gauges working.

Just gotta sort out a glow plug code and brake sensor code and she will be legal!

I also ended up selling my Audi wagon to get a bigger wagonish Audi with too many bells and whistles.

Old January 27th, 2017, 06:26   #245
jhax
Veteran Member

Welcome back!
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 14th, 2017, 14:10   #246
bblume
Veteran Member

First off photobucket sucks!

Secondly, I got the conversion inspected. All passed except for the 3 codes still popping and the lack of a cat.
Cat is being installed as I type at exhaust pros.

So close to have this car legit and legal. Still have a code for brake light and glow plug light and a code for a warning lamps :banghead:

Shout out to the DPD for the $110 expired tags ticket I got ON THE WAY TO GETTING THE CAT INSTALLED !!!

I'm sure I'm the guy they need to be pulling over...and not the people doing hit and runs and the people stealing high end mtn bikes and the punks that are vandalizing peoples' cars. It's me. The guy trying to get his Tdi swap legal!
End rant/
Old July 14th, 2017, 15:03   #247
Vwscream
Veteran Member

Quote:

Secondly, I got the conversion inspected. All passed except for the 3 codes still popping and the lack of a cat.

So close to have this car legit and legal. Still have a code for brake light and glow plug light and a code for a warning lamps :banghead:

Shout out to the DPD for the $110 expired tags ticket I got ON THE WAY TO GETTING THE CAT INSTALLED !!!

I'm sure I'm the guy they need to be pulling over...and not the people doing hit and runs and the people stealing high end mtn bikes and the punks that are vandalizing peoples' cars. It's me. The guy trying to get his Tdi swap legal!
End rant/
Wish it was that easy to get inspection done in Illinois. No one can point you in correct direction in this state. My next swap planned it for the eurovan
Vwscream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old July 20th, 2017, 10:15   #248
jhax
Veteran Member

Brake light as in the ECU is attempting to find an ABS sensor that isn't there? Glow plug light as in the LED in the cluster?
jhax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old August 29th, 2017, 12:13   #249
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
No ****, looks like all my conversion photos (and others) posted here are now gone. I will not be upgrading my pbucket just to host those photos so I hope people aren't pissed but they're not coming back.

Quote:

End rant/
Sorry to hear about your ticket, lmk if you need anymore wiring assist to get those codes resolved so you can get on the road.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old January 4th, 2018, 20:08   #250
bblume
Veteran Member

Passed emissions today
One step closer to a legal car
Still have a brake light code and a glow plug code
But it's running good!

Ironically popped an IC coupler on the way to the testers...even though I'd been driving it now and then without issue. Had to get it back snug before the tester ran it on the Dyno. ..

Here one phot replaced since photosucket

[IMG]image by Brock Blume, on Flickr[/IMG]
Old January 5th, 2018, 15:36   #251
bblume
Veteran Member

Talking

And she's legal.
Thanks all for the help!
Especially Steve Addy

That said there's still work to do but at least now I can drive it legally
Old January 13th, 2018, 11:53   #252
Steve Addy
Veteran Member

TDI(s): 97 Mk3

Quote:
And she's legal.
Thanks all for the help!
Especially Steve Addy

That said there's still work to do but at least now I can drive it legally
I was actually in here looking for this thread, wondering if you ever got that thing on the road.

Congrats!

PS - post up part number for the cat you had installed, some of the ones that the Mk3/B4 guys use are being replaced with new stuff, looking to add one to my wagon I think even though law says I don't have to.

Steve

You didn't poison the coffee, did you? Not anymore than I usually do.

Last edited by Steve Addy; January 13th, 2018 at 12:03.
Steve Addy is offline   Reply With Quote