Crank Position Sensor as a PM item?

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Do any of you guys change out the Crank Position Sensor as a Preventative Maint. item?

I had to change it out on my daughter's 2000 2.0 gasser when it went bad at 58,000 miles ( 11 years old though ) and left her stranded.

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
Same here, I haven't really heard anything about it on TDI's. There is a good bit of info about it on the gassers sites I noticed from when I was researchiong the problem.

AndyBees

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta TDI, Silver 2000 Jetta TDI (sold), '84 Vanagon with '02 ALH engine
I've removed the on the gasser engines..........cleaned the sludge off and put 'em back on!

I have never changed one on a TDI!

j29

TDI
04 Jetta wagon, 98 Multivan TDI
my 04PD shows an intermittent fault code with the camshaft position sensor but the engine runs great. I Will change it with the next tb change I believe it is hiding in there somewhere.

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
my 04PD shows an intermittent fault code with the camshaft position sensor but the engine runs great. I Will change it with the next tb change I believe it is hiding in there somewhere.
Its the wiring most likely, there is a TSB on it.

ncroadwarrior

Veteran Member
TDI
04 JSW bew
Mine was a connection problem,

had one go out after a timing belt job....unsettling ...it was a wire degrading at the plug junction...

.Dan144 installed one from his 05, fixed my old one and is still running it

hgsmith

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta
I had to replace mine. It did throw a code. The car would just shut down after running fine on the freeway.

josh8loop

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 VW Jetta TDI Manual(performed 01M to 5-speed swap) - 183,000 miles and climbing!
If I bought another ALH powered car I would put it on the maintenance to-do list and prioritize it according to all other service that would need to be performed on the car. I say this because when I was doing some other unrelated work on my car I had to disconnect that crank position sensor plug and it broke off in my hands. I thought no big deal, I would just trim it back, get another connector and repair the connection. What I found was that the entire sensor insulation on the wires was so brittle that you could just look at it and it would fall off. I was forced to buy another CPS. The wire for the CPS does run pretty much right against the side of the engine, so over time the insulation breaks down I guess. IMHO it would be better to preemptively replace it before it leaves you stranded or before you run into the situation I ran into on a holiday weekend with no way to order parts to fix it quickly. Food for thought.

latigereye

TDI
2004 Jetta TDI 1.9L
I had the Crankshaft Position ( aka Engine Speed) fail. It stranded me until I got a VAG-COM, identified this as the problem, and replaced it. Tip: on a 2004 Jetta 1.9L TDI the mounting bolt's head is 10 mm requiring a 12 point socket. It took longer to find the right socket than to actually change the sensor.

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Pull the TB cover and it's at 5 o'clock on the cam. one 5 mm bolt. It is the grey connection on the front of the block behind the oil filter assembley.

NOT a PM item. It's a rare failure. Done 5-6 in 7 years.