Close to 10% increase in mileage!

kilo69

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
So polling timing in VAG-COM last month showed me that my timing was really really retarded.... like below the chart retarded *insert comments now*.

So couple weekends ago I fixed that problem and brought it back to the upper limit of the advanced timing and now have completed a full tank on the "new" timing.

Typically my Scanguage is within .5L when I fill. This time Scanguage read I used 60.2L when it actually only took 55L to fill (I vent and fill until I see the Diesel).

So that's almost 10% better mileage, of course I forgot to record the trip so I can't get a true reading (Now that was me being retarded). But I'll make sure to next fill up.

It's also completely solved my cold but not cold enough for glow-plugs starting issues. Cranks and fires great within 2-3 secs just like it was warmed up!

Glad I checked the timing, since it was fine when the belt went on and I was only hoping on bumping it up a little.

Kristian

Fyrman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Black
Nice! Sadly, we get used to our cars driving a cerain way and don't always realize when they're under performing. Now wait til they switch to summer fuel, you'll go like a scalded cat! ;)

kilo69

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon TDI, 98 Jetta TDI
Fyrman said:
Nice! Sadly, we get used to our cars driving a cerain way and don't always realize when they're under performing. Now wait til they switch to summer fuel, you'll go like a scalded cat! ;)
I wonder how fast a scalded cat would go...
My Girl-friend does have 3! That's a pretty good test group!