how does Wetterauer chip affect MPG?

tomo366

TDI Lifer, Member #68
TDI
2015 Jetta SEL TDI
A chip upgrade be it, Upsolute or Wett, actually will make your fuel mileage go up if not using the extra power all the time. If you are into the power all the time it will go down 2-3 MPG depending on how hard you excercise the go-pedal

M

mickey

I'd say the Wett will probably have little effect either way. The UPsolute has a greater potential to improve economy because it actually changes injection timing.

In reality, your mileage will go down a bit because you won't be able to resist the urge to USE the power! Everybody says they will, but nobody can. It's like crack.

-mickey

Steve Mato

I'm thinking about purchasing a TDI Golf or Beetle to mostly be my fuel efficient commuting vehicle. But I like performance too...

Anyone know how the Wetterauer Chip upgrade (or equivalent) affects MPG? What percentage decrease in MPG if any could I expect?

Thanx,
Steve Mato

BawlsyTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
jetta, someday a getta, 2001, baltic green
I've noticed a 3-5mpg increase since upsolution. I don't drive it hard all the time, and I fill up with good fuel. If i drive it hard, for a tank, my mpg will be the same as before the chip.

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
The Upsolute Chip is one of the safest and smartest mods you can perform on your TDI. Even some with strong beliefs of keeping the car 100% stock have made an exception to this software upgrade.

In reality, the Chip does indeed improve your MPG (overall) as it advances the Injection Timing closer to what European TDI's are set at and better optimizes the combustion process with more effective controls on key components.

In short, I like to refer to the Upsolute Software as similar to the ECU folks in Germany benefit from.

Moreover, in city driving people use whatever power is available, so Forum members are naturally reporting a little less MPG than before, but admitting they're also working the engine harder around town too, with this small trade-off being "well worth it."

As for freeway driving, more often than not, the Chip Upsolutely increases MPG due to a more efficient software program and emissions are a nonissue with the Chip.

GeWilli

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none in the fleet (99.5 Golf RIP, 96 B4V sold)
There have been fewer complaints with teh Wett chips than the Upsolute chips - but then there are quite a few more Up chips running around.

The only clear cut issue where Wett is better than UP is the 99.5 TDI Automatics.

I acutally adj my timing slightly when I was chipped and well my mileage actually increased after chipping - even using all the extra HP and Torque.

Be prepared to pay for a new clutch and flywheel at somepoint withing probably 40,000 miles of bieng chipped. Or go with an auto tranny.