ASZ PD130 rear main seal - crankcase pressure ?

T25

TDI
PD130
Hi,
Do I maybe have a crankcase pressure problem please ?
I have a PD130 ASZ in an old vw camper, its a low miles engine about 30k miles and last week the turbo oil feed cracked and she ran low on oil. Changed the pipe, cleaned up the mess, but as I drove home the clutch was slipping and could see oil around bell housing, lots of oil lost again, several pints.
As the engine was dry before it's a strange coincidence to have both these oil loss faults together. The turbo pipe was leaking at the pipe joint to the banjo.
Before I pull the gearbox and replace the seal is it possible I have a crankcase pressure problem please? How do I check? Is the breather in the rocker cover replaceable?
Thanks for any advice please
Rgds

Franko6

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
Jetta, 99, Silver`
First, I doubt I'd worry with replacing the CCV.

Excessive crank case pressure is easy to see when you pull the oil fill cap off. If you put the cap over the hole and it blows off, you got too much blowby

The only way these two items relate is if you allowed the oil to go nearly completely empty and you wrecked rings or cylinder bores. Insufficient due to low oil can be dangerous. A couple of pints won't do it. Running out of oil can.

T25

TDI
PD130
Thanks Frank, my very embarrassing conclusion - now that I took gearbox out and can see no evidence of leak or seal failure is that the garage had not actually filled to correct top dipstick mark (easily done as engine lays over beyond standard). That led me to assume I'd lost oil in the drive home but I suspect what I was seeing was oil residue that found its way into the bellhousing from the cracked turbo pipe. Oh well I least I got to clean up the oil on the clutch etc.

T25

TDI
PD130
Ok over a year later have the same problem. Oil coming out the bottom of the bell housing. Due to bereavement and Covid etc I have barely used the van since changing the rear oil seal. Went for a vehicle test last week and noticed the clutch slipping under load. looked under and Engine oil is dripping from bottom of bell housing, When I replaced rear seal a year ago on careful inspection I could see absolutely no evidence of leaking but changed seal anyway and cleaned up clutch plate with clutch cleaner. I did worry back then that I had not found the problem. Engine seems to run feeling much as it did before problem a year ago but I suppose I have to consider possibility of more serious damage when oil ran very low. I don't feel there is excess crankcase pressure with rocker cap off, will check again tomorrow, Any thoughts please ? What checks can I do please?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So, when you changed the seal it was leaking oil or not?
Did you put gasket maker on the corners?
Did you notice any wear kn the crank at all, any dark marking or resess where the seal seats?

T25

TDI
PD130
So, when you changed the seal it was leaking oil or not?
Did you put gasket maker on the corners?
Did you notice any wear kn the crank at all, any dark marking or resess where the seal seats?
Thanks for reply, there had been oil at the bottom of the bellhousing but when I stripped it down and changed the seal I could see no leaks, the seal looked perfect. I recall I was was really puzzled where the oil had come from so eventually came to the conclusion I mention Nov 10th above. Yes I did use a gasket maker from memory where the seal frame meets the sump, (not sure what you mean re corners.) The crank looked fine, no wear, it has only 30k miles.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
So my #1 question is how is the flywheel getting oil on it and the clutch? if the rear main seal lakes, its behind the flywheel
Maybe i'm missing something

T25

TDI
PD130
So my #1 question is how is the flywheel getting oil on it and the clutch? if the rear main seal lakes, its behind the flywheel
Maybe i'm missing something
Mmmm, good point. I guess its possibly getting thrown out from the back of the flywheel and dripping down off the bell housing. Or perhaps the clutch is still slipping because it got oil on it when the turbo oil feed pipe broke last year and dumped on on top of the bell housing joint. The clutch was cleaned up real good on disassembly with clutch cleaner (but not sanded to rekey). But as I was saying above, although the symptoms are the same (oil leak and slipping clutch) I could see no problem when I looked in there last year.

My main concern is why I have a significant oil leak.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
chances are good that its not leaking or leaking bad, and its the clutch that is just in need or replacement and the flywheel resurfaced.
Is there any chance that the valve cover is leaking or something in that area and it's going down the timing mark hole? Or the intake leaking at the head, there isn't much of a seal on those engines on the side at the bell housing.

How much oil is being replaced and how often?
I would add some UV detector to the oil and see where its coming from with a UV light.