2010 TDI loves some B20 added

quadrun1

Veteran Member
TDI
past: 2013 Passat TDI SE 6M, 2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Well recently I found a station that carries B20 and D2 for cheaper than most other stations around here ($4.25/gal for either) and so I added some B20 to my tank of D2, and so far I'm liking the results!

There seems to be less clatter on startup and the engine seems smoother and more powerful on the highway. Doesn't seem to make sense as I thought biodiesel has less energy? But at this station at least, the B20 is labeled as 47 cetane (their D2 is labeled 40 cetane, as is almost all D2 around here).

Jason

Biffster

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 JSW TDI
Well recently I found a station that carries B20 and D2 for cheaper than most other stations around here ($4.25/gal for either) and so I added some B20 to my tank of D2, and so far I'm liking the results!

There seems to be less clatter on startup and the engine seems smoother and more powerful on the highway. Doesn't seem to make sense as I thought biodiesel has less energy? But at this station at least, the B20 is labeled as 47 cetane (their D2 is labeled 40 cetane, as is almost all D2 around here).

Jason
I wish I were in your shoes. I'd use nothing but B20 and skip D2 altogether.

I know some Chicken Littles will cry VW warranty foul, but I'd rather use straight B20 to potentially avoid future issues rather than experience them and pray VW ponies up on their warranty.

My best mileage has been on straight B20, and it's been proven that B20 does NOT dilute oil in the slightest after extended use (tens of thousands of miles).

I envy you.

Vin63

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3

Jason
Very cool. You're probably experiencing the lubricating qualities of the bio, and if the cetane level is posted at 47 (additive package perhaps?), then yes there is a power gain, as well.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Biodiesel does have less energy per volume or by weight than petroleum diesel. There are about 10% fewer BTU.
Does it feel more powerful at highway speeds? Absolutely it does, because at those less-than-peak-power engine operating ranges the slower burn rate permits the downward force to be maintained for a greater crank angle rotation. (more torque)
Is it less powerful? Absolutely it is. On a dyno the petro diesel will generate a maximum power output at full pump output at some specific rpm. Biodiesel (or bio blends) will make less power (multiplied torque and rpm) at those specific conditions of maximum pump output, and rpm. Since you almost never drive at those conditions you almost never realize there is less power.
At at many ranges of less than peak power rpm, and less than full accelerator pedal request, the power is equal or greater than the same output made from petrodiesel.

The cetane numbers are a guaranteed minimum. There is nothing to prevent a 50 cetane fuel from being dispensed from a minimum 40 cetane pump. It's probably a one in three chance that the "minimum 40" cetane fuel actually has a higher cetane than the "minimum 47", unless the bio is blended using the same petrodiesel.

Fixmy59bug

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat TDI SE
I wish I were in your shoes. I'd use nothing but B20 and skip D2 altogether.

I know some Chicken Littles will cry VW warranty foul, but I'd rather use straight B20 to potentially avoid future issues rather than experience them and pray VW ponies up on their warranty.
I am slowly inching my way towards B10.

I ran B5 for the first 9 months, B7 for the next 9 months, and have just started using B10. I only take the next step after verifying the fuel dilution of the oil via UOA from Blackstone.

I will be up at B20 in the next year or so. Of course, by then my warranty will be pretty much kaput.

B100

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Golf
So very nice. But what effective percentage of biodiesel do you have in your tank, fueling the engine? You tank holds, what, about 17 gallons? How much "B0" aka "D2" was in there when you added some "B20"? It's not hard to track, and you can keep a running log of the effective concentration of biodiesel in the tank, and see what mileage and performance you get on various blends.