I'm a new, proud TDi OWNER!!!

lordofTDi

TDI
2001 VW Golf Tdi GLS
Sup all! I'm new to these forums but i just recently purchased a 2001 vw golf tdi w/ 91k miles in great condition. It is an automatic, a lil disappointed cuz i hear the manuals are better on the mpg, but i can't just help but love this car. Everything about it screams reliability and economy. I just filled it up to max yesterday so i'll have to wait to see what my average mpg is going to be. I had this big plan in mind of sending off the ecu to Rocket chip and putting the bigger 550 injectors on etc......but i think i've come to the conclusion to keep the beauty just plain old stock. I think it would just be best that way. The only thing i've decided to do is adding a K&N replacement OEM filter and thats it. I'm hoping to maybe squeeze a couple more mpg out with that addon. Anyways any comments are welcome and thanks for putting out such a great board!!! :p

maniac1181

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Hey! Welcome to the world of TDI! One thing about your plan on chipping your TDI, that upgrade actualy helps increasing the MPG you're getting out of your car!

DrSmile

Veteran Member
TDI
05 GLS PD 5spd Wagon
Welcome to TDIClub!

You're gonna take some heat for the K&N... I hope you brought your flame retardant suit!

TDikook

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'06 Golf Anthracite Blue
Yup, welcome. do what you feel you need to do to your TDI, but I would read ALOT more than you have and research what you will be putting on. it will save you in the long run. this site is a very well put together wealth of GOOD information.
and yes, put your flame suit on. you'll get blasted.

and again welcome.

Eric B

AudiLikeA4

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 VW Golf GL Anthracite Blue Manual
K&N oil will ruin the MAF, not worth replacing maf's for. Just a fyi.
good luck with the car and welcome to the club.

mchapek

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta wagon, 2014 Passat, 2015 Golf Sportwagen
stock vs modified

I'm a newbie here too...picked up an 03 jetta wagon tdi Last august...had 92,000 on it (also in AWESOME condition)...coming up to 110,000 already! I'm just hammering the miles on the awesome car! I had GREAT plans to modify...nozzles, chip...and somewhere along the way I've totally fallen in love with the thing as is! I recently bought a custom made WESTACH dual Exhaust Gas Temp/Turbo Boost gauge on a TDI club group buy...and I doubt I'll install it now...prob sell it (it's an amazing gauge...not sure I WANT to sell it!) I get GREAT mileage as is, and getting better all the time as I drive smarter! One thing I would recommend is getting a ScanGauge II..it hooks up to your OBD II port. What an amazing little piece of equip that is...it gives you real time monitoring of a bunch of things...in gauge mode I have 4 displays up at the same time...MPH, MPG, Intake air temp and coolant temp...but you have many more to choose from. Then in Trip mode, it gives you MPG of the tank, miles driven, miles left on the tank..all that useful info. (AND, it also will read/clear any engine codes you should happen to get!) I'm continually getting over 700 miles on a tank now...averaging around 47mpg overall. I get a rock solid 52 on the highway at 65mph, and around 42 to 45 city/combined (driving to/from work). If your car hasnt' had it done yet, search for and do the VENTECTOMY on your fuel tank filler neck...simple to do, and it lets you use the ENTIRE fuel tank! (when I first filled the 'empty' tank it only took like 13.5 gallons...I was wondering what the deal was...as it really kills your overall range on a tank).

So anyway...welcome to the TDI world....and good luck! I LOVE this site...so much info, it's a total overload (in a good way!) Talk about a 'do it yourself-er' paradise!

terrydtdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 MK4 TDI Jetta 5spd
AudiLikeA4 said:
K&N oil will ruin the MAF, not worth replacing maf's for. Just a fyi.
good luck with the car and welcome to the club.
Yes get rid of the K&N filter not good for diesels you'll be buying a new maf sensor . You say your good with the car stock , but the more you read this forum the more you get the itch ,then after the first mod your ADDICTED .:D

dieseldorf

Top Post Dawg
TDI
ex- 1996 wagon, ex-2000 Jetta
Comic book:

Only a shill hired by K&N would be so foolhardy to discuss the ultimate anti-mod here at Fred's :)

Welcome aboard, Lord Shill!