TDI Recall and Stop Sale notice.

JThiessen

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Sedan LE, DSG
Those of you who just bought yours may have had yours "fixed" on the assembly line. They would have started incorporating fixes there prior to coming out with a recall notice.

Briefly_TDI

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
I bought a new 2011 golf tdi on the October 5th- 2 days after dealerships were notified of the stop sale. Unfortunately this vw dealership only cared about a sale and sold me the car never telling me that this issue existed. The tire pressure light would not go off and also the dealer had only given me one key. So, yesterday I took the car in to get the light checked and retrieve my other key. After 45 minutes in the service lobby, they called me in to tell me they were "taking my car". I was told that the car was never supposed to be sold and that the reason I only had one key was because service took it and that the car was not even supposed to be on the lot. I was told I can have my tdi back after the fix comes in from vw which according to vw customer service likely won't happen til late November. After becoming irrate the manager asked what seems to be my problem!! An hour later I was given a run down base model jetta as a loaner that looks and smells like it was last cleaned with a bathroom mop. So to make a ling story short I now get to pay on my brand new TDi (which I loved for the brief time I got to enjoy it) while the dealership refuses to give ot back after selling it after a stop sale, refuses to cancel the deal and give me my trade back and the sales lady who sold me the car actually had the nerve to say "well at least your not putting miles on your brand new car" every day I drive this jetta (which retails $10k less than the TDi for very good reason) I get more and more angry.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
Go back to the general manager and tell him your issues. In most states, you have a three to five day window in which you can cancell the deal. As you stated, you should be able to get your trade in back and walk away. Otherwise, call your local TV station and have them raise a consumer advocate stink.

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
I bought a new 2011 golf tdi on the October 5th- 2 days after dealerships were notified of the stop sale. Unfortunately this vw dealership only cared about a sale and sold me the car never telling me that this issue existed. The tire pressure light would not go off and also the dealer had only given me one key. So, yesterday I took the car in to get the light checked and retrieve my other key. After 45 minutes in the service lobby, they called me in to tell me they were "taking my car". I was told that the car was never supposed to be sold and that the reason I only had one key was because service took it and that the car was not even supposed to be on the lot. I was told I can have my tdi back after the fix comes in from vw which according to vw customer service likely won't happen til late November. After becoming irrate the manager asked what seems to be my problem!! An hour later I was given a run down base model jetta as a loaner that looks and smells like it was last cleaned with a bathroom mop. So to make a ling story short I now get to pay on my brand new TDi (which I loved for the brief time I got to enjoy it) while the dealership refuses to give ot back after selling it after a stop sale, refuses to cancel the deal and give me my trade back and the sales lady who sold me the car actually had the nerve to say "well at least your not putting miles on your brand new car" every day I drive this jetta (which retails $10k less than the TDi for very good reason) I get more and more angry.

You sell me a car which you had knowledge of not to sell. Then take the car and give me a lessor loaner car and I still need to make the payments on the new car.

Man, if this was me, I'd prob be arrested from flipping out at the dealership.

zambaq

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan DSG [the Fix is in]
This will help.
http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/acms/docservlet/Artemis/Public/Recalls/2011/V/RCDNN-11V490-9955.pdf

Look at page 3 section 573.6.(c) (8) Proposed Remedial Program.

It says all cars will get resonance dampeners, but only certain build dates will get new fuel lines.
Yes, and the above-linked VWoA notification does more than just specify build dates of vehicles subject to the impending recall. At the top of page 3, it provides the range of specific VIN numbers of affected vehicles. So you can check your VIN there (why wait for the recall data to be updated on VW's website?) to find out whether to expect a recall notice to arrive next month.
I'll be checking my mail! :(

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
I took that to mean that all cars within that vin range and production dates would get dampers and some would get new fuel lines. Not to mean that all tdis for model years 2009-2011 would get dampers.

evanworld

TDI
2012 Golf Tech 2D 6M; United Gray
I picked up a 2012 Golf TDI Wed 10/5. The dealer disclosed the recall to me and let me know they had replaced the part in question. I trust these guys but curious if there's a way to prove it was completed?

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I picked up a 2012 Golf TDI Wed 10/5. The dealer disclosed the recall to me and let me know they had replaced the part in question. I trust these guys but curious if there's a way to prove it was completed?
Yeah, just pull off the engine cover (there is a ball & socket type connector at each corner) and look at the injector lines. There should be a rubber vibration (resonance) dampener on each of the four injector lines. It should be pretty obvious.

Have Fun!

Don

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
Evanworld, look at Post #54, I linked a picture of what mine looked like after the recall, would be interested to see if your dampeners are in the same places or if the mechanic just sticks them on willy nilly.... if you could post a picture we could compare?

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm > Briefly TDI
..they called me in to tell me they were "taking my car". I was told that the car was never supposed to be sold........​
Negligence on their part--
By the way, one should never be fearful of naming the dealership........

Fm >MPBsr
You sell me a car which you had knowledge of not to sell.​
Or should have had knowledge..

1analguy

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI 2dr 6-speed (loaded)
My Golf was a 10/10 car, but does not yet show up in the VIN search for this recall, so I'll have to wait for the letter before receiving my new fuel line and dampers.

I know I'm just living up to my user name here but I'm kind of into technical writing and, in reading the whole VW notice, I was gratified that they were properly referring to the remedial devices as dampers. Then, near the end of page 3, they regressed and began improperly referring to them as dampeners. A damper is a device that quells oscillation, vibration, pressure spikes, etc. A dampener is a device that makes things moist or wet...ironically, precisely the condition that we're trying to alleviate here! :eek:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Then, near the end of page 3, they regressed and began improperly referring to them as dampeners. A damper is a device that quells oscillation, vibration, pressure spikes, etc. A dampener is a device that makes things moist or wet...ironically, precisely the condition that we're trying to alleviate here! :eek:
LOL, I hadn't noticed that before, but you are correct. I guess you chose an apt username.:rolleyes: Good catch.

Have Fun!

Don

GraniteRooster

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW 6MT
My Golf was a 10/10 car, but does not yet show up in the VIN search for this recall, so I'll have to wait for the letter before receiving my new fuel line and dampers.

I know I'm just living up to my user name here but I'm kind of into technical writing and, in reading the whole VW notice, I was gratified that they were properly referring to the remedial devices as dampers. Then, near the end of page 3, they regressed and began improperly referring to them as dampeners. A damper is a device that quells oscillation, vibration, pressure spikes, etc. A dampener is a device that makes things moist or wet...ironically, precisely the condition that we're trying to alleviate here! :eek:
A widely abused parlance, for sure! I noticed that too and said shame, they should know better.

ReFreSh

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI with DSG
Hello,
I got my Jetta TDI on 10/19 last week.
Based on VIN#, mine is affected by this issue.
And, I just realized the mandatory stop-sale notice.
What do I have to do if my dealer sold mine without this issued part fixed?
Any advice will be appreciated.
Thanks.

pdt165

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta 6 speed (Bought Back)
Hello,
Thanks.
In order for them to sell it to you it would have had to been fixed already. If not then you will take it in for the recall like everyone else has to do, that is once the official recall notice is given. There was one user who took delivery of their TDI that the dealer should not have let be sold, when they went back to the dealer they were told that the dealer would hold it until the fix could be completed a few weeks later.

ReFreSh

TDI
2012 Jetta TDI with DSG
Hello,
Can anyone let me know if my TDI has the recall corrected? Seems there are some rubber dampers on the issues injector lines.
Thanks.

Edited.
I attached my TDI engine pictures. But, I have no idea why they are not shown.
They can be opened and shown in the new tab/window.

Last edited:

MPBsr

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 TDI....Traded in
Hello,
Thanks.
If I was you, I'd find out if it was fixed.

If not, I'll start calling VW headquarters right at their desk to find out how to get my money back (giving the car back of course) since they sold me a car that wasn't supposed to be sold..

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Hello,
Can anyone let me know if my TDI has the recall corrected? Seems there are some rubber dampers on the issues injector lines.
Thanks.

If your injector lines have the rubber dampers on them - the problem has been corrected. This means your dealer did not sell you a car they shouldn't have sold. Don't worry about it - it has been fixed.

Have Fun!

Don

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Took the 11 golf in last week and was told that it was not effected by the recall. It was outside of the listed VINs, so I had already assumed it was not part of the recall. Also supports my assumption that only those VINs listed will either get the fuel line replaced, the dampers installed, or both.

Had to take the car back in to get the state safety inspection done again since they are now linked to the plates and not the car. Thanks NC for keeping my wife and I from going to the movies.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
KJ Clow:

May I suggest that you still, personally, check to see if your VIN falls within those that fall within the recall.....

>Here<. And

NHTSA's acknowledgment
>Here<

One simply cannot rely on what you are 'told'.......check the actual list....from NHTSA....:rolleyes:

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
KJ Clow:

May I suggest that you still, personally, check to see if your VIN falls within those that fall within the recall.....

>Here<. And

NHTSA's acknowledgment
>Here<

One simply cannot rely on what you are 'told'.......check the actual list....from NHTSA....:rolleyes:
As I mentioned, I had already checked my vin on both cars against the official list. I just had the VW service desk pull it up on thier computer to confirm that I was correct in not being part of this recall.

NorthernMage

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta TDI, 6MT, Platinum Grey
As I mentioned, I had already checked my vin on both cars against the official list. I just had the VW service desk pull it up on thier computer to confirm that I was correct in not being part of this recall.
Always good to double check, now you also have a record of going in to the dealer to confirm that the car was done. I would have asked for the rubber dampers (or dampeners) anyway just to make sure there were no issues in the future.

> Luke <

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf 2011 TDi DSG
Fm > KJ Clow
As I mentioned, I had already checked my vin​
Oooooooops...........:(

Fm > Northern Mage
now you also have a record of going in to the dealer to confirm that the car was done. ...​
Only if it has been written on the work order, with results appearing on the receipt copy......I mention this, because many service writers have been told what not to write down when the car owner makes a request....

moshi

TDI
'11 Golf
Before I bought my car I pulled the VIN of the car I wanted off the dealer's website and told them nothing would be signed unless the recall was completed.

The next day the recall was completed and the car delivered to my office.

bryanviper

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI
Does this recall/fix only effect TDI's in the USA or does it effect Canada as well?

We got our car in Aug and I checked the other day and do not have those supports installed on it and have not heard anything from VW Canada about the recall either.

Thanks

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
This recall was issued by NHTSA and is therefore only for the US. Not sure what your equivilent is up North but ask your VW dealer when/if the Canadian government or dealers are going to start applying the same fixes. Can't imagine that this problem would go away just by moving a little north.