Letting the air in!

rdkern

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Passat 1997 silver (sold after 11 years), Jetta 2000 atlantic blue
rolling down the windows? Opening the sunroof? Two I can think of without using the .45

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
I realize you have an '06, but on my A4 ('99.5), if the manual ventilation selector is set to direct air only to the upper dash vents, the fan is on zero (and the RECIRC button is not depressed), the two middle dash vents will allow outside air to enter, assuming the car is in motion (higher speed = more air).

Is that what you meant about venting with no fan?

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Why NOT use the fan?

The fan allows FILTERED air to be drawn into the car thus eliminating dust and pollen. This also prevents the dirt buildup that occurs inside the car in the electronic components such as the radio, electrical relays etc.

These are just a few of the reasons why I suggest leaving the windows closed and use the modern climate control system as it was intended.

DB

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Drivbiwire,

Um, what is the air-flow path when it goes the way I described? Isn't the air coming in the same way and passively moving the fan?

Your response suggests that it does it not start by entering the car via the pollen filter...

I think the OP might be wishing to reduce accessory load, but I could be mistaken.

Dcrowley69

TDI
2006 Jetta
Reducing accessory load was one thought, but mainly just wondering what's wrong with unfiltered fresh air being vented into the cabin directly...without fan noise...or humming sunroof noise...or open window noise? We don't seem to be set up to do this.

Mike_Van

Veteran Member
TDI
(SOLD) 2010 Golf, 2 door
Dcrowley69,

Do you, or don't you get fresh air from the two middle dash vents (assuming they are open) when the fan is on speed 0, RECIRC is OFF, and the car is in motion?

maverick06

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 jetta TDI
On my 98 Jetta you definitely get a small amount of air movement in from the vents with the fan on zero and in motion. This is obvious when you have the heat on, but no fan. The hot air still comes out. Its a small amount of movement though. I would have thought you could easily make a ram air intake and use that instead of the fan for highway driving. But it would be overly complex with minimal benefit (zero fan load and maybe cooler intake air?)

ATLSilverTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006.5 Special Edition Jetta - Silver
I use the sunroof and the windows in the morning before it gets to hot.
Yea, I get a little dust and pollen, but a good cleaning takes care of that.

Without the AC the air is too warm to be drawn throught the ventilation system. Outside air is cooler than what is drawn in.
John.

Dcrowley69

TDI
2006 Jetta
Mike_Van said:
Dcrowley69,

Do you, or don't you get fresh air from the two middle dash vents (assuming they are open) when the fan is on speed 0, RECIRC is OFF, and the car is in motion?
I do not.

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI
Use the fan, there is NO penalty in terms of load on the motor with the fan running.

Consider how many kilowatts are being produced my the motor only to extract a few watts or 1/10,000th of the total engine output with the fan on 1 vs 0.

You have more drag by opening a window than what you would be penalized in fuel consumption by running the fan.

To put it more bluntly, if you can't afford the one gram of fuel extra per 24 hours of run time then you may want to sell the car and ride a bike...Then again you may start asking how to reduce the tire wear on the said bike in which case that's between you and the bike forum that supports the type of bike you purchase.

Do you not see the lunacy in asking this type of question?

Run the damn fan!

DB

fase2000TDI

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jettawagon TDI; 2015 GSW 6MT
Drivbiwire said:
Use the fan, there is NO penalty in terms of load on the motor with the fan running.

Consider how many kilowatts are being produced my the motor only to extract a few watts or 1/10,000th of the total engine output with the fan on 1 vs 0.

You have more drag by opening a window than what you would be penalized in fuel consumption by running the fan.

To put it more bluntly, if you can't afford the one gram of fuel extra per 24 hours of run time then you may want to sell the car and ride a bike...Then again you may start asking how to reduce the tire wear on the said bike in which case that's between you and the bike forum that supports the type of bike you purchase.

Run the damn fan!

DB
I <3 you.

Dcrowley69

TDI
2006 Jetta
Drivbiwire said:

Run the damn fan!

DB
Dude. I could care less about fuel consumption in this respect. I'm averaging 50 MPG, and am quite pleased with that. I just think it would be nice to be able to listen to the radio at "normal" decibles, with the windows and sunroof shut, and without the fan turned up full blast to get a decent breeze flowing.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
larithmos said:
My fan is only noticeable on 3 and 4... on 1 I can't tell the difference between on and off. Driving noises are going to drown out the radio more than the fan at most speeds.
It should not be like that your controls to the flap that change where the air goes may need adjusted. On my 01 I can put is on 1 and feel it fine on every car I have had it has been so. I will open the Passenger side window about 3 in. and turn the fan on low and be fin with very little noise.

Birdman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta 2001 Died by Truck one snowy day. Jetta 2003
I guess I was not clear either on 1 or 2 a can not hear the fan over the radio. I have worked with sound, running concerts, studios and so on for over 40 years and I love music so i do not want extra noise to bother me.the road noise should be louder then the fan and I have measured the sounds levels at 70 with just the fan on and the rear window down about 2-3 in. at around 65 DB which would not be considered load by most standards. Most cars will put out air with the fan on off and the selector switch set on the top vents which is how I like to drive at night when it is cool out.

JoeBleed

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta, 2005 A4, Reflex Silver
Doesn't yours do that now? If not, you may want to check your cabin air filter and duct work.

Mine does it, but to me it is only usefull in the winter. Durring the summer it isn't really helpfull. But that is me.

Dimitri16V

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Golf, 04 Golf
Dcrowley69 said:
Dude. I could care less about fuel consumption in this respect. I'm averaging 50 MPG, and am quite pleased with that. I just think it would be nice to be able to listen to the radio at "normal" decibles, with the windows and sunroof shut, and without the fan turned up full blast to get a decent breeze flowing.
replace drivers window with plexiglass with a NASCAR style scoop intake ?
These cars are well insulated, ran the AC on high/rec to initially cool car, then set AC to draw outside air and the fan on 1.

Brock_from_WI

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 wagon
I would say swap out the filters. I was surprised when I changed mine how much more air came in without the fan on. I often tilt the sunroof and leave the inside part shut to reduce noise, it makes a noticeable difference in air passing though, although "cracking" the back windows even 1/2 inch helps a lot as well, but more noise. Also if you close the passenger side vents you will get more air as well