Hard Start / No Start - Is your intercooler frozen? Check Here!

CBRacerX

TDI
JSW 2010
Repair Order

Some of you might be interested in what the repair consists of. The great tech at my dealer (North Penn in Colmar, PA) wrote a nice description of the process on my repair order:

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just received an email from VW of America regarding the question of me asking them if my brand new 2012 Jetta had the revised parts for the intercooler installed...this is their reply:

"Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for your inquiry about the intercooler freezing concern that could arise in your 2012 Jetta TDI.

Congratulations on your new Jetta TDI!

I was able to research and found that your Jetta TDI is equipped from the factory with parts designed to prevent the intercooler from freezing due to cold weather.

I apologize that comments made by other Volkswagen owners has caused you concern regarding the reliability of your car.

I hope you are enjoying the benefits of your clean diesel engine. We appreciate your patronage and I’m sure Mother Nature appreciates that you’re doing your part to go green!

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Nathan T.
Customer CARE Advocate"

CBRacerX

TDI
JSW 2010
Take a look for the charge air cooler regulator flap.

Just received an email from VW of America regarding the question of me asking them if my brand new 2012 Jetta had the revised parts for the intercooler installed...this is their reply:

"Dear Mr. XXXXXX:

Thank you for your inquiry about the intercooler freezing concern that could arise in your 2012 Jetta TDI.

Congratulations on your new Jetta TDI!

I was able to research and found that your Jetta TDI is equipped from the factory with parts designed to prevent the intercooler from freezing due to cold weather.

I apologize that comments made by other Volkswagen owners has caused you concern regarding the reliability of your car.

I hope you are enjoying the benefits of your clean diesel engine. We appreciate your patronage and I’m sure Mother Nature appreciates that you’re doing your part to go green!

If I may be of future assistance, please know our Customer CARE Center is at your disposal Monday through Friday 8 AM to 6 PM, local time, at (800) 822-8987. You are also always welcome to e-mail us again from the “Contact Us” page on www.vw.com.

In addition, you will soon be receiving a Volkswagen Customer Care satisfaction survey. Please take a few moments to complete this. Your feedback is important for it will allow us to serve you more effectively in the future.

Sincerely,

Nathan T.
Customer CARE Advocate"

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Where is that located? I've had the car about 2 weeks now. Barely getting used to engine bay.

ashutoshsm

TDI
JSW 6speed Manual
Fixed!

Mine was fixed about 2-3 weeks ago. Yes, it's a new IC. Yes, I had an (incidental) conversation with VWoA after dinging them on a regular survey. That got their attention.

Mine was one of the first few instaleld at the dealership, and the person who did the install had gotten quick at these (5-6 hours initially, and around 4 or less on mine - anecdotal from service manager)

The heat soak issue from the removed section being missing is now gone (of course).
Mileage seems marginally better (or maybe I just missed the winter-summer transition and it seems higher).

everything runs as it should, and time and cold weather will tell whether the fix was good.

Been too busy to even pop the hood and look, I might this weekend. What should I be looking for? Any visible changes? (yes I haven't kept up with the thread either)

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
look at the first post of the thread. easiest to spot is the new vacuum lines running down by the intake manifold

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Those pics are from my car. I am saying that when compared to the picture in the first post. there are no vacuum lines like there are in the first post.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Just got off of the phone with VWoA regarding my intercooler and whether or not it had the updated parts installed. The told me that the revised parts only applied up to the 2011 models, and that the 2012s were all modified from the factory. They could not tell me what parts were modified...I can tell you it's not the same as the after-the-fact kits that are being installed on the 2009-2011 cars...thats for sure.

CBRacerX

TDI
JSW 2010
Just got off of the phone with VWoA regarding my intercooler and whether or not it had the updated parts installed. The told me that the revised parts only applied up to the 2011 models, and that the 2012s were all modified from the factory. They could not tell me what parts were modified...I can tell you it's not the same as the after-the-fact kits that are being installed on the 2009-2011 cars...thats for sure.
You have these lines?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
its not only the lines but the temp actuator piece pointing at 12, thats' really easy to spot.

BTW ask VWoA what will they do if the 2012s also have this issue? There are quite a few 2012s that had it last year and probably more next year.

Unless they've reduced the size of the IC or changed how the LPEGR works the 2012's still have this issue regardless of what VWoA says they've changed.

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
its not only the lines but the temp actuator piece pointing at 12, thats' really easy to spot.

BTW ask VWoA what will they do if the 2012s also have this issue? There are quite a few 2012s that had it last year and probably more next year.

Unless they've reduced the size of the IC or changed how the LPEGR works the 2012's still have this issue regardless of what VWoA says they've changed.
I agree with you. They wouldn't expand on "what" was changed with the 2012s, other than the parts kit doesn't apply to this MY vehicle.

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Hey guys, fairly long time since I've posted, been really busy with finishing school (finally summer!!) Anyway, here are some updates on our JSW TDI.

Around the time when we brought the j wagen in for the fuel line damper recall I mentioned to our service adviser (Tim at Dorschel VW, Rochester NY) that I'd been in contact with VWoA regarding a cold start stumble... I asked VWoA to contact Dorschel to authorize the IC kit, and what do you know, when I'm getting the fuel line recall performed, Tim said that they had parts on order :D Just got them put on after a 5-7 week wait, and it went pretty well. Took about 5 hours to complete, and the only problem was a defective o-ring clamp from the factory which caused an IC pipe to slip partially off, causing I guess a vacuum leak, which threw a CEL on the way home from the dealer. Drove back, they put the car back in the air, scanned it, replaced the o-ring, reconnected everything, and all is well.

Haven't had the car long enough to do a mileage comparison, but it seems it is the same. Car seems good, currently at 36,2xx miles, the work was performed technically at 35,9xx but Dorschel said this would have been put on anyway (even 36K+). Can't say enough about Dorschel VW, they have been great to work with, really nice and knowledgeable staff, professional, and their techs seem to know what they are doing. Really confidence inspiring. Next VW (hopefully many, many gallons of diesel from now) will certainly be purchased from them again. I even considered doing the big 40k service with them. I most likely won't, in reality, as it's cheaper at my indy German car shop, and I'd have more access to the service being performed (ie, a pic of the fuel filter canister) and I know the guys well. I just need to make sure they are comfortable with a FF change (priming via vagcom/vcds!!!!) and DSG fluid, etc. I suppose I'll buy the parts, and have them do the labor.

Attached (hopefully?) are a few pics of the intake manifold area to show the new bits... (got em. hah!)

^^^ Follow the arrows (amazing paint skills, I know..) from the flapper valve vacuum lines (??? educate me on what this thing is and what it does) near the intake that travel to this silver little drum (from what I could see) marked with the red dot up top near the exhaust/turbo. Any thoughts? Please correct me on anything/everything, I haven't gotten up to speed on the repair kit(s).

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
***, over?

It has now been 184 days since we were towed into the dealer mid January. Still no ETA from VWoC or the dealer who are waiting for word from VWoC who say the dealer will know before they will...

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
great news! I now feel lucky I had mine installed last October

How bad is this winter going to be with the fleet of 2012s?

VeeDubTDI

Wanderluster, Traveler, TDIClub Enthusiast
TDI
‘18 Tesla Model 3D+, ‘14 Cadillac ELR, ‘13 Fiat 500e
You mean they haven't been knocking these problems out during the summer when there's plenty of time? Shocker! ;)

Tick tock goes the warranty. "Sorry, sir - you are out of warranty now and there's nothing we can do for you."

My recommendation is that all of you folks who have IC issues that haven't been solved keep the pressure on VWoA over the summer!

Ghostrider

TDI
2012 JSW TDI
'12 JSW Intercooler kit installed today

I got my '12 JSW back today with the intercooler kit installed. I had accumulated moisture/gunk in the hose, thankfully not experiencing anything worse. The kit was approved and ordered around June 5 so the wait wasn't too bad.

They put me in a '12 Jetta overnight. It was transportation - but it sure feels good to be back in my JSW!

My dealer, VW of Langhorne, Pa. took good care of things with VWoA. I won't be worrying next winter. :)

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
Blending valve or Bleeding valve?

***************************************************************************************
UPDATE 01/18/12

GraniteRooster's Frozen Charge Air Cooler (Intercooler) FAQ / Problem Summary

In an attempt to provide to most relevant details to the forum in summary format, I have compiled the following brief of the issues. This is multifaceted problem whose unresolved issues and discussion runs much deeper than this summary - I'd encourage folks to read the thread in detail for best understanding. At 1900+ posts and counting, you'll need a cup of coffee/tea and comfy chair ;)

Problem
When driving in winter conditions (below ~20-25°F), external airflow over the air-air intercooler (IC) is cold enough to cause internal ice buildup in the IC and outlet charge hose assembly. Ice buildup may lead to a variety of operational difficulties including restricted intake, reduced power, LIMP mode, engine stumbling, melt water or ice ingestion, and catastrophic engine damage.

Affected Engines
All 2.0L CR TDI engines (CJAA/CBEA) installed in all 2009-2012 model year Jetta TDI, Jetta Sportwagen TDI, and Golf TDI vehicles. Vehicles in both US and Canada are affected.

Occurrence
Ice buildup occurs while driving in cold winter conditions, typically below ~20-25°F. Melt water and ice ingestion may be experienced on subsequent engine start if the car is allowed to thaw while parked (such as in a warm garage, or warm parking lot above freezing temperatures).

Causes
This is a thermodynamic phenomenon caused by condensation and subsequent freezing or direct vapor deposition of water vapor as the turbo-compressed charge air is cooled through the IC and outlet charge hose assembly. Two main aspects of engine design contribute to the problem:

1. Low-pressure EGR is used to control NOx formation for emissions compliance, however, this recirculates water vapor rich exhaust back to the turbo and IC.
  2. The IC design on these vehicles is very efficient, providing good heat transfer and economy (and good ice formation under proper conditions)
Symptoms

Ice
  • Restricted Intake & Reduced Power
  • LIMP Mode (flashing MIL’s, “Service Now” message)
  • Engine will not turn over (complete ice obstruction of intake)
  • Catastrophic engine damage (ice chip ingestion)
Water

• Engine will not turn over, "dead battery" starter action (due to hydraulic resistance in cylinder)
  • Starter/electrical fires (due to starter overheating during attempts to start locked engine)
  • Engine will turn over slow / not start (drowning)
  • Engine will misfire, stumble, and run roughly upon starting (water ingestion)
  • Engine will misfire, stumble and run roughly upon acceleration (water ingestion)
  • Catastrophic engine damage (water ingestion – hydrolock)
Solutions
VW has issued Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) TSB # 21 11 06 / 2025464 Frozen Charge Air Cooler. The kit may be installed by dealers on documented vehicles under original 36k warranty. Customers outside 36k warranty have often been denied installation under 60k powertrain warranty.

A (basically ineffective placebo) temporary solution implemented by VW involves removal of the forward facing cold air intake "snorkle" so that the airbox draws air from the engine bay, which allegedly may be warmer. In practice, TDIClub member testing has shown this modification to make insignificant changes to intake air temperatures, and is therefore ineffective.

What to Do - Frozen IC happened to me! :eek: :( :mad:
If the car won't start after one attempt, or stumbles and dies after an initial attempt, ***STOP!*** You have some decision making to do...

Further attempts to start the engine may (or may not) cause damage from minor to catastrophic. Depending on the amount of water in the intake and engine, damage may occur to pistons, connecting rods, glow plugs, injectors, head gaskets, etc. due to hydraulic lock. There is also risk of starter and electrical system damage from repeated start attempts against a locked engine. You will need to choose:

• Service the car (preferred) , or
  • Attempt to start the engine and get where you are going (risky)
The best solution is to clear the intake and engine of water and ice before starting. However, it seems the engines are often able to pass melt water with undetectable or no damage. The preferred actions are:

• Option 1: If under 36k warranty period, have the car towed to a VW dealer by VWoA to have the water and ice drained out and problem documented for installation of Technical Service Bulletin (TSB) TSB # 21 11 06 / 2025464 Frozen Charge Air Cooler. Dealers typically will require this hands-on service and documentation to gain required approval from VWoA for installation of the IC TSB under warranty.
  • Option 2: Elevate the front of the car on jackstands, remove belly pan and lower IC outlet charge hose, remove water and ice from assembly. Reassemble and drive. This option will not be convenient for a typical owner in most typical situations, given need for jacks, stands, tools, light, etc. plus safe environment and time to complete the repair.
  • Option 3: Have vehicle towed to appropriate repair facility for removal of water and ice from the IC assembly
Owners should report problems to their VW dealer and VWoA (1-800-822-8987) (or VWoC, etc.) as they occur. VWoA has the ultimate say in warranty installation of IC Kits; they rely on dealers to be gatekeepers on diagnosis, therefore dissatisfied owners having difficulty with installation approval should increase negotiations directly with both dealer and VWoA. Owners with safety concerns due to this issue should contact NHTSA and report their concerns.

***************************************************************************************
UPDATE 01/17/12

Click hyperlink for .PDF copy of TSB # 21 11 06 / 2025464

(Credit 740GLE Post #1352)

UPDATE 09/14/11

TSB # 21 11 01 / 2025464 dated May 24, 2011 has been super-ceded by TSB # 21 11 02 / 2025464 dated June 14, 2011 and most recently, TSB # 21 11 06 / 2025464 dated September 6, 2011. The latest TSB referenced updates to warranty table and labor information. It may be helpful to reference the latest TSB when requesting warranty work.

(Credit Aerox Post #1003)

UPDATE 6/2011

There is now a TSB with a fix for this issue. TSB # 21 11 01 / 2025464 dated May 24, 2011, titled "Frozen Charge Air Cooler – Engine Will Not Start". It calls for installing a 1K0-198-803-B Cold Weather Intercooler Kit.

The kit includes:

• New Intercooler (IC) with internal vacuum-actuated flap valve
  • Vacuum Sensor
  • Intake Elbow with Temperature Probe & Vacuum Actuator
  • required plumbing
Installation requires 3-4 hours labor and corresponding ECU software update. This kit was installed on my car by VW on 07/06/2011. Here are pictures of the kit installed on my '10 JSW, as seen from the front of the engine compartment. The post-IC intake charge temperature/vacuum actuator are circled in red. The rest of the kit is not easily viewed without removing the engine belly pan, etc.

EDIT 03/07/2012: Member UberVW_TDI posted nice pictures of the components of the kit in Post 792.

Integrated Temperature Sensor and Vacuum Switch / Blending Valve mounted on Elbow

Intercooler with vacuum actuated diverter valve

03G-906-051-K (VACUUM SENSOR)

EDIT 03/07/2012: Member PAJettaTDI posted good photos of his installation in his photo thread.

ORIGINAL POST 12-17-2010

**I posted this at the end of the "Cold Start/Scare" thread in the MK5 forum - but thought I would post here in Mk6 JSW as well for the benefit of MK6 owners who do not frequent the MK5 forum... I hope that is OK.**

After a longtime lurking I have something to say and its not good - my car has been having significant icing problems as well.

I commute 100 miles each way from Northern NH to Southern NH 4 times a week. I leave at 5am and return at 5pm. Obviously NH is subject to freeze thaw cycles and we have been having some very rainy, humid conditions this November/Early December.

I have had rough starts with symptoms of water being drawn through the engine 4-5 times in the last 3 weeks. I have had the engine not turn over once.... paused 5-10 sec, checked myself, tried again, and cranked but caught rough and stumbled for 45-60sec...., and then again once pulling out of parking lot, engine RPM's (and airflow) rising, more stumble.

Then, Tuesday Dec 14th driving home, left South NH in 27 F degrees, rain, snow mix and temperature falling rapidly. 25 minutes into the drive, precip has transitioned to mostly snow, and temperature now 14 F degrees and still falling. 72mph in left lane, power cuts, Service NOW message, Glow Plug lights flashing. Finished 70 mile drive home with engine in LIMP mode and 10 degree external temperatures, wondering if my HPFP was expired. I was low on fuel, so left engine idling in LIMP and filled up with my favorite B5 before continuing home and shut it off. Read most of this thread... holy cow this is not good.

Next morning, 8deg, car fires up, no CEL's, drive 100 miles to dealer and drop it off. They let it sit till lunch outside in freezing temps. Bring it into shop, they drained almost a cup of water and ice out of the intercooler lines.

This is major spooky as I have already had one start that was "hydro-locked", but I didn;t know what was going on at this time so I forced it and it started horrible. I am real concerned about major long term engine damage from regular ingestion of big slugs of water caused by this icing/melt problem. This car is 10 months old with 33,000 miles, driven very regular route, broken in well and driven accordingly, 2 out of 3 fillups with B5 and the rest straight ULSD always from the same two stations, so the average bio-concentration in the tank is is usually B2-B4..... I intended to keep this car a long time, but having it ice up a couple times a week for several months of the year is just not going to work.

Dealer considers car fixed until it throws another code... and it doesn't throw a code when it hydrolocks or or rough starts. I question how many more times this can happen before I have bent or broken rods and worse.

Thanks to all for very cool and informative forum here - I have learned a lot and enjoyed my TDI very much until now. Thought I would let you all know of another iced up intercooler.

I am also starting a case with VWoA - the more the merrier.
Integrated Temperature Sensor and Vacuum Switch / Blending Valve mounted on Elbow

Should this caption read Bleeding Valve? Where does the water condesate go? Into the intake amanifold?

HKS

Last edited:

crashtested

Veteran Member
TDI
2016 Q5 TDI Technik, 2014 GSW CL 6MT (RIP), 2004 Jetta GLS 5MT (sold), 2010 GSW HL 6MT (buy back)
Bloody hell!!

Just for sh1ts & giggles I called my dealer... Guess what, apparently they have the kits in stock and ready to go. Guess someone forgot to give us a call 'as soon as it arrives' :rolleyes:

In their defence the SM I was dealing with left for a Honda dealership so maybe, just maybe the paper work slipped through the cracks.

Again though there was no call from VWoC either.

We just moved off the coast up to the interior of BC, and there isn't a dealer closer than a 4 hr drive, one way. Of those 3 options god only knows what the service departments are like.

fjhil1

TDI
2012 VW Golf
VWoA & Gurnee VW clueless and useless

I have a 2012 Golf TDI and just had an exceedingly frustrating conversation with VWoA. I had a no start this past March while up at our cottage in Minocqua, Wisconsin (this is long before I learned about "intercooler icing"). It eventually started and I drove the 5 hours home to northern Illinois. Brought it up to my dealer - Gurnee VW - and they played absolutely dumb. In the mean time I've been reading about intercooler icing and wrote with my concerns (and the problem that I had) to VWoA. I feel that it was an iced intercooler based upon the symptoms. I received a call from VWoA yesterday and the gal said "We've never even heard of this intercooler issue". VWoA called me back today and said "VW won't do anything unless we can verify the issue". To which I said "So that means that my family has to become stranded in the northwoods of Wisconsin, in the winter time, in a car with a known fault, that VW refuses to repair?" To which she said "Yes". To say that I'm frustrated with VWoA is an understatement.

PlaneCrazy

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Gone...
You wasting your breath.....
Yep. Unless you have a sympathetic dealer. Mine at first said "unable to reproduce...blablabla". But then I brought the car in for scheduled service last February, mentioned the issue again and got the reply "we just received your intercooler kit, can we keep the car another day to install it?".

Not sure how that happened. I was pleased until in May my car lost its coolant because they forgot a rad hose bracket and the fan ate through the rad hose. :mad:

Can't VW do ANYTHING right???

PS after I had the problem and until my kit was installed, I took the initiative to drive in 5th all the time when driving at highway speeds, and take the fuel consumption hit. I can't say for sure if it worked but I can say that while I did this I didn't have another icing incident even on days that seemed ideal for icing to occur. On the bright side the car is much more responsive at 100 km/h in 5th when you need to pass. :eek:

JBell

Veteran Member
TDI
None
I have a 2012 Golf TDI and just had an exceedingly frustrating conversation with VWoA. I had a no start this past March while up at our cottage in Minocqua, Wisconsin (this is long before I learned about "intercooler icing"). It eventually started and I drove the 5 hours home to northern Illinois. Brought it up to my dealer - Gurnee VW - and they played absolutely dumb. In the mean time I've been reading about intercooler icing and wrote with my concerns (and the problem that I had) to VWoA. I feel that it was an iced intercooler based upon the symptoms. I received a call from VWoA yesterday and the gal said "We've never even heard of this intercooler issue". VWoA called me back today and said "VW won't do anything unless we can verify the issue". To which I said "So that means that my family has to become stranded in the northwoods of Wisconsin, in the winter time, in a car with a known fault, that VW refuses to repair?" To which she said "Yes". To say that I'm frustrated with VWoA is an understatement.
That's just dandy to hear. I called VWoA regarding the icing conditions, and at least they didn't lie to you. They told me that my 2012 had the updated parts on it. Everything I've read indicates that it doesn't.

One would think that this scenario calls for another class action lawsuit to FORCE VWoA to fix all cars.

HKS

TDI
2009 Jetta
GM Intercooler

Chevrolet is introducing a smal diesel car for 2013. I wonder how they will solve the intercooler icing problem?

HKS

bhtooefr

TDIClub Enthusiast, ToofTek Inventor
TDI
None
Or if they use a water-cooled intercooler, that allows for a certain minimum coolant temperature.