That elusive element...Unobtanium

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
For those of us living in NA, our Volkswagen lineup includes Atlas in a nice gasoline engine equipped mega-thing. Aren't we lucky (an obvious rhetorical question, so I will leave off the question mark).

Any trip across the Atlantic to VW paradise will reveal to us unfortunates just what VW actually makes, and sells. I am forced, willingly it turns out, to visit in-laws in Spain on a nearly annual rate, and every time I do, I am treated to a grueling depressing exposure to wonderful food (yay) and extremely loving family, and the same old reality of what I CANNOT buy from VW.

NO, you can't buy an ATLAS in Spain. Boo Hoo. I am so sure that they are crying about that.

Yes, there was Scirocco (FAST little TDI gocart -gone this year), but still available Polo TDI, Golf GTD (another gasp), the new Golf Sportsvan (yes can get TDI), Sharan TDI (a minivan), Tiguan TDI (the new model), a new Tiguan "allspace" extended rear space version! (but alas, TSI only, I think), T-ROC TDI available (new crossover that would sell FAST here (https://www.volkswagen.es/es/modelos/t-roc.html)), and yes Golf Variant TDI (wagen) typically sold with 6 speed transmission...
And now for the real pain. Passat TDI, Passat Alltrack TDI, STILL available in 2019.
Oh, there is more. Transporters are available too. Here is one I spotted in a small mountain village in the foothills of the Pyranees. And yes, there was a 6 speed gear shift on the dash, and a clutch on the floor. And do you see that pop-up roof cap? Yes. That was on the Euro California model. This one is just a lowly transporter.
TransporterBluemotion1

TransporterBluemotion2

And here is the T-ROC

T-rock

And that is just what Volkwagen sells (commercial vehicles still include Amarok, and various cab chassis flatbed with flipsides, and transporter versions (gee). Believe me, there are lots of Audi, BMW, MB, and lots of other vehicles you can buy right now (!) that just makes you cry.

Last edited:

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
That T-Rock is awesome! It has a cayenne kinda look to it, and it’s available in a diesel , 6 speed AWD model?

dubStrom

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 A4 Jetta (sold), 2010 JSW (sold), 2013 Passat 6MT traded for 2014 JSW with 6MT-TOTALED in November 2016, 2003 ALH 5MT conversion (sold), wheezing 2015 GSW/DSG and a new 2021 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 p'up
That T-Rock is awesome! It has a cayenne kinda look to it, and it’s available in a diesel , 6 speed AWD model?
Yes,
The T-ROC I saw was TDI (not available in 4Motion). I also saw a few of the new body style Tiguan TDI, in both 4 motion and FWD forms. My wife wants one. I saw a few new Passat TDIs, including a gorgeous 4Motion with 6MT. I nearly cried. There is a 7sp DSG for that if you want it. It is so painful to witness. About $45k will get you a NICELY optioned Passat TDI with a 6sp MT.

Traditionally, Volkswagens with manual transmissions in the US just didn't get high end options. I guess the assumption is that 6MT drivers are frugal cheapskates, or they would spring for the DSG and join the human race. In europe, manual transmissions are equipped in Volkswagens with lots of options, especially TDIs. Different cultural assumptions.

Last edited:

JSWTDI09

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 JSW TDI (gone but not forgotten)
I wonder if they look over here and lust after our full size trucks and cheap gas?

I work with international students every day. The answer to your question is a distinct yes and no. They do lust after our cheap gas and occasionally our muscle cars. However, I have never met someone who lusted after a Ford Excursion or an Escalade or a Hummer. They often would not fit on some European streets.

Have Fun!

Don

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
dubStrom, lucky you for getting to go every year :) I am fortunate to be able to go every other year ... and I feel also fortunate to be able to continue driving a safe and efficient non-SUV, my 2004 Passat TDI wagon!

Yes travel by train, and what is that by the way? :eek:

In the US 'convenience' comes first. Bigger, automatic transmission passenger vehicles that are boxy in shape comes to mind. Trains are definitively inconvenient, slow, expensive, etc. It can easily become a 'self fulfilling prophesy'. Building more highways and toll roads plus perhaps more airports is 'the low hanging fruit' right now. Even in flat regions between two not-too-distant metropolitan cities (Houston and Dallas comes to mind) building a high speed train is controversial to say the least :(

I count my blessing for what I have ...

DIVISIONINCISION

TDI
2011 JSW TDI, 2015 Passat TDI SE
dEven in flat regions between two not-too-distant metropolitan cities (Houston and Dallas comes to mind) building a high speed train is controversial to say the least :(
I count my blessing for what I have ...
In a state like Texas, light rail and trains are perfect due to all the flatland and vast amount of space. Dallas already uses light rail.

Controversial how? The only issue with it is that Texans are notoriously cheap when it comes to ballot measures and they wouldn't want to pay for it.

Light rail connecting Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio would definitely be utilized.

Texans are slow to change, but once they realize how economical it is, they would adopt it.

As a native Californian, it astounds me how ignorant many Texans are when it comes to modern day living.

:rolleyes:

tikal

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Passat Wagon (chainless + 5 MT + GDE tune)
In a state like Texas, light rail and trains are perfect due to all the flatland and vast amount of space. Dallas already uses light rail.
Controversial how? The only issue with it is that Texans are notoriously cheap when it comes to ballot measures and they wouldn't want to pay for it.
Light rail connecting Dallas, Houston, Austin and San Antonio would definitely be utilized.
Texans are slow to change, but once they realize how economical it is, they would adopt it.
As a native Californian, it astounds me how ignorant many Texans are when it comes to modern day living.
:rolleyes:
Ok let's take it easy on the Texans, we have our ways ... :):confused::eek:

But seriously, trains have had a very limited traction in the US and only in certain, very high density areas, such as the Washington DC to Boston corridor, the Chicago area (mostly for daily commuting) and perhaps the Portland to Seattle route.

It is not impossible to bring high speed train to routes such as Dallas to Houston but the attitude of the people and the various kinds of airline lobbying, among other non-technical human factors, has to change indeed for the endeavor to be successful in a not too distant future.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
The difference in trains in Europe and North America is not just putting on faster trains.

The roadbeds in North America cannot handle high speed trains with the ancient wooden ties and individual rails.

They use concrete ties and continuously welded rails plus over 90% is electric powered in Europe including Russia and even in China.