ABS light on/BRAKE flashing and three beeps

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta GLS TDI Silver Arrow
Ok....I solved the leaking injector problem (removed fuel line from injector, reinstalled it and no more leak), changed my driver side headlamp bulb (which required me to remove the battery cause I have gorilla hands) and in the process I broke the positive battery terminal tension bolt...

Now when I start the car, sometimes I have to crank it a second time..it turns over and almost starts but doesn't... AND
sometimes while driving, I'll get three beeps followed by an ABS light and flashing BRAKE light on the dash.....***? Could the broken battery terminal be the cause for this? I'm going to replace the battery terminal tension bolt tomorrow when the stealershit opens..

Can you please give me your thoughts about this? Could it be the battery terminal? Am I about to experience a problem with my ABS or brakes? /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif /images/graemlins/confused.gif

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
Those are the exact same symptoms I had when my ABS pump went on the fritz. It was replaced under the recall issued back in 2002, IIRC. Long story short, at my 20K service shortly after the recall was issued the tech that checked the car for the ABS recall misdiagnosed the problem. 18 months later the pump went nuts. It does something to the communications bus or something like that, so that the different computers in the car have a hard time talking to each other.

Have your car checked ASAP because there were a few rare cases of the pump shorting out and causing fires.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
With 83,000 on the clock...I doubt the stealershit will offer me any assistance with this... /images/graemlins/eek.gif

Let's see... I need a new tie rod assmbly, new ABS pump, new glove box hinge, new tires, new brakes and rotors....

Anyone wanna buy an 02 Jetta TDI GLS? /images/graemlins/tongue.gif /images/graemlins/grin.gif

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
By the way, don't underestimate the amount of havoc that a loose electrical connection will cause - particularly if the symptom started at the same time (or shortly after) your battery terminal adventure.

And don't overlook simple things - like the fluid level in the reservoir.

And if it's none of that ... get a proper diagnostic done before you go replacing expensive parts!

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
I think it's too coincidental that BradleyRas has the exact same symptoms that I and other's had when their ABS pumps went on the fritz.

Try this, find a nice deserted stretch of road and stand on the brake pedal. If you go into a 4 wheel lock-up, the ABS pump is definitely faulty. The morning I was taking my car in for the pump change a deer ran out in front of me. I hit the pedal pretty hard at about 45mph and went into a 4 wheel lock-up. Pretty scary if you're not expecting it.

Well, that might not be such a good test. have someone with VAG-COM scan your car. If their computer has a hard time communicating with your car, the pump is suspect.

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
If it falls under the RECALL, and the problem involves those parts, then it will not cost you a thing to get that fixed.

[/ QUOTE ]

Just got back from the stealershit.... Man what a bunch of idiots.. aFirst I sked the service manager if there were/are recalls on A4 Jettas pretaining to the brake systems... He said "none that I have ever heard of" and stood there looking at me like I had a vagina on my forehead.... So I asked him to please check his recall notice book sitting directly behind him.. His response was "I don't think there were any, and if there was, we are usually the last to know" ...10 mins later he says, "nope, no recalls" , so I asked him if he could call VW Customer Care and check, just to be sure. His response was "well I can run your vin thru the computer and if there are any recalls pertaining to your vehicle, it will show up because this database is the same as what VW CC uses" ....Hmmm...nothing based on my vin..

so off to the parts counter I go to buy a new battery terminal tension bolt... stood there for 15mins before the guy behind the counter acknowledged my existance... He pulled up the parts diagram for a 00 Jetta TDI and surprise!!!! THERE IS NO FREAKING BOLT, YOU HAVE TO REPLACE THE ENTIRE BATTER TERMINAL and cable that runs to the starter... BUT WAIT, the service mgr told me that you do carry the tension bolt because your mechanics often break them when installing batteies and they replace just the tension bolt. an hour later, a mechanic comes into the parts dept and shows the parts guy what part will work from a 96 jetta.... $4.80 later I am off to lunch... I have the worste VW dealershit! I really hate dealing with them!

Can someone please give me a reference number for the brake system recall?

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
[ QUOTE ]
NHSTA Try this website. Print out the report and bring it to the dealer.

[/ QUOTE ]

The only recall listed for the Y2K Jetta is the brake light switch and child seat anchor..

UPDATE!!! After replacing the batter terminal tension bolt (be very carefull when tightning, it breaks easily) the ABS, flashing brake light and three beeps have not happened.

I believe the loose terminal was the cause of this... Also, the car cranks normally and starts like it used to..

SO NOTE TO ALL: A loose battery terminal can cause problems!

Thanks everyone for your input on this.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
When I saw 2002 Jetta in your signature and no mention of a second car, I figured you were talking about the 2002.

In the event that you did mean the 2002, here's a C&P job from the website:

Make: VOLKSWAGEN
Model: JETTA
Year: 2002
Recall Number: 02V031000
Summary:
ON SOME PASSENGER VEHICLES, SHORT CIRCUITS CAN OCCUR WITHIN THE ELECTRONIC CONTROL UNIT OF THE ANTI-LOCK BRAKING SYSTEM (ABS).
Consequence:
THIS CAN RESULT IN A FIRE.
Remedy:
DEALERS WILL REPLACE THE ABS CONTROL UNIT. OWNER NOTIFICATION BEGAN MARCH 8, 2002. OWNERS WHO TAKE THEIR VEHICLES TO AN AUTHORIZED DEALER ON AN AGREED UPON SERVICE DATE AND DO NOT RECEIVE THE FREE REMEDY WITHIN A REASONABLE TIME SHOULD CONTACT VOLKSWAGEN AT 1-800-822-8987.
Notes:
ALSO CONTACT THE NATIONAL HIGHWAY TRAFFIC SAFETY ADMINISTRATION'S AUTO SAFETY HOTLINE AT 1-888-DASH-2-DOT (1-888-327-4236).

BradleyRas

Veteran Member
TDI
I edited my info to correct the year. I have no idea if/when/why or why it read 02..Thanks for the c&p.

It appears the loose battery terminal was the cause of the ABS and flahing BRAKE light...... it hasn't happened since I fixed the terminal tension bolt.

glennat

TDI
'05 Jetta Wagon GLS
ABS light on, three beeps, "Brake" light flashes

I'm seeing a lot of posts describing the same symptoms. Here are mine: A friend was trying to help me change a brake light bulb. Didn't listen when I said the cyclops light was working, so he thought we needed to test everything instead of just replacing the bulb. While I was sitting in the car with my foot on the brake, his hand slipped and he touched the wrong thing, I heard a click, lights went out, etc., After replacing the fuse we blew and the brake light bulbs, the original problem has been solved. But, now, I am getting three beeps, ABS light and "Brake" flashing on the dash. And, although the light indicates that the cruise control is on, it isn't working, but so far, everything else I've checked does. Lots of detective work to do now...