NEW 28F6/T9 Glow plug recall for 04-05 TDI

kjetta

TDI
jetta gls 2004 wheat
new glow plugs

I took advantage of the 2nd recall for glowplugs for my 04 BEW, a couple of years ago.

This past week, I got a Code 4 and one has to be replaced.

kjetta

TDI
jetta gls 2004 wheat
still getting code 4 for 2nd recall glow plug

Harness wiring will be checked to see what is causing the MIL Code 4 to come back on. Everything is appearing OK.

EXrider

TDI
04 Jetta TDI GLS 5 Speed
Rough starts below 20F

Ever since I had the recall performed on my 04 TDI, cold starts below 20F have been rougher and smokier than they were with the old glow plugs.
This morning we had record low temps at -10F, it started on the first try but it was EXTRA grumpy, clattery and smokey. It's extremely rare that we have temps this cold around here, but it has me a little concerned anyways. I could tell at least one cyl was missing bad until it warmed up for about 45 seconds.
I can't imagine that this recall would be good for PD's up further North where negative temps are far more frequent.

chrisroser

Veteran Member
TDI
2005 Passat GLS TDI, 05 NB GLS TDI
On really cold starts I show her some love by cycling the glow plugs 3 times. Seems to help get the old girl churning without sounding like she smoked a pack of Camels the previous night. :rolleyes:

Carsonjk

TDI
2005 Jetta Wagon GLS TDI Manual
I just put the new plugs in my 05, seems slightly better but still took a couple of starts to get going. Not ideal here in WY.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
If you guys don't store vehicle in a garage. I would invest in the Frostheater(or whatever it is called now) for the cold starts. For winter, this is the best investment you can make! We have had them for years with no trouble and its easier on the engine than having it rattle itself apart until it smooths out. Also very nice to get in car and have up to operating temp!

turbocharged798

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 black ALH Jetta;09 Gasser Jetta
Electricity is really expensive here and it doesn't help when you don't have an outlet to plug into when you leave the house.

pyankura

Vendor
TDI
2005 golf a4 body style
I never did a calculation on the cost of operation but....I know this thing saved me atleast 10 mins each cold morning and I never really saw an impact on my electric bill. Yea, having power somewhere when you leave home can be an issue. I guess to each their own but I dig mine and would not go with out it.

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
I you put a timer on the heater to start about 2hrs before you leave home, I can't see the utility cost as significant.

EXrider

TDI
04 Jetta TDI GLS 5 Speed
I you put a timer on the heater to start about 2hrs before you leave home, I can't see the utility cost as significant.
Yeah, I used to use a high wattage timer to start the block heater on my old F250 PSD 2hrs in advance. I think it was 1600W, pretty much like running a space heater a couple hours a day, NBD really.
I keep the TDI in the garage though, just wanted to see what it could handle if I ever travelled further North in the winter.

EXrider

TDI
04 Jetta TDI GLS 5 Speed
GP Recall Update = ECU Tune Wipe

A glow glow plug recall update will wipe out a tune!:eek:
Yes it will wipe your tune, very much so. Also, if you read the recall notice, they absolve themselves of responsibility of anything going wrong as a result of you having a custom tune. They also claim that they have the ability to charge you extra if they have to wipe the tune from the ECU to proceed with the update, which was not the case for me. Kerma also said that they aren't aware of anyone being charged.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
2007 Audi A4 Quattro Avant 2.0TDI 6spd manual
AFAIK the recall is over in Canada. I take it you have a BEW in there. Lots of options without going to the dealer. You in Brooklin, ON as in just north of Whitby?

Brooklin Express

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 TDI jetta Wagon 5spd 2014 Audi Q 5 TDI
On a good note I picked up the car last night. It was parked out in this cold from Saturday waited for the glow plugs to go out and she started right up.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm pretty sure they expire because they are not manditory safety recalls.

Best bet is to drop in the $10 OEM version ending in 09. You may need a new glow plug control module with it and a tune. I wouldn't bother going to the dealer because you'll end up doing it cheaper yourself and can get a performance tune while your at it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
You won't need anything if the car was never re-flashed to 5v in the first recall. If it was, you'll need a re-flash. Module is fine.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
You won't need anything if the car was never re-flashed to 5v in the first recall. If it was, you'll need a re-flash. Module is fine.
This is true... you just won't benefit from the newer design.

The new module+tune gives a controlled burst of energy when you first turn the key on before it goes into voltage regulation mode. This burst helps speed up the heating time. I've tested this on the bench and could see the difference both in the heating time and control used via oscilloscope.

Not a big deal unless you are picky about how your diesel starts in the cold. Either way it will start.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Wasn't aware of that. I haven't seen any part number supersessions in the module. I'll check again. And it's not really a tune, it's a re-flash, correct? The only thing that would be different is the glow plug operation.

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
They may have never used in on the BHWs but it was used on the BEW and if I'm not mistaken came from the factor with this on the BRM.

Older control module 038 907 281 C
Newer control module 038 907 281 B

Glow Plugs.
N 105 916 01 (discontinued)
N 105 916 04 (discontinued)
N 105 916 07 BOSCH 5V Steel
N 105 916 08 NGK 7V Ceramic Tip with Steel Sleeve
N 105 916 09 NGK 7V Cermaic Tip with Steel Sleeve

The 09 version is only ~$10 at the dealer whereas the 08 version is ~$45 or more at the dealer. The only real difference between the two is a few mm in length.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
The C module is the one for late 2002 and later A4 platform cars as well as the B5.5 TDI. The B module is an early BRM module, won't fit in the BHW or BEW engined cars, or at least it isn't indicated for them. And the N 105 906 08 plug is indicated for BRM only. Never was a recall on that engine's glow plugs.

rotarykid

Top Post Dawg
Piedmont of N.C. & the plains of Colorado
TDI
1997 Passat TDI White,99.5 Blue Jetta TDI
O4 Passat TDI sedan with original factory installed glow plugs

had a friend call in about the glow plug recall, he was told that it had expired on his 04 Passat TDI car?? I did not realize these recalls ever expired????
can I still get similar to the factory installed glow plugs?. can I just replace one or two if that is all that is bad??

Going to do resistance check of all the plugs this weekend. What should the resistance be on these if they are still good?

Is there a special socket to remove these to avoid breaking the plug when pulling it?

O4 Passat TDI sedan with original factory installed glow plugs...

Demon Diesel

Veteran Member
TDI
Interesting that they would still do it. I thought forsure they ended that program. Some of the BEWs got new injectors with the recal. They found a work around real quick that didn't include new injectors.

I've definately confused the module numbers up. I looked into all the common options for my conversion. BHW has the module installed in the engine bay so the module connector is intended to protect it from the elements. Not sure on the BEW but I know in my car it's housed inside with the ECU so it's a standard module package. I think the new CRs use the same module ending in D.

As for GPs. I've actually tested all the part numbers that I listed above. The ....07s (5V Steel) work but are a little slower. The ...08s and ...09s are basically the same (7V ceramic tip) except for the length and huge price difference. Both work relatively the same.

In either case you need the right voltage in your tune to match the GPs. You can switch between them and as a single unit as long as the voltage matches.

I actually ran through one winter on 5V steels with 7V code and they survived. Not that I recommend this but it did work. I think this was also due to the newer GP module that is capable of controling burst energy on startup.

tkwyo12

TDI
04 New Beetle
Interesting that they would still do it. I thought forsure they ended that program. Some of the BEWs got new injectors with the recal. They found a work around real quick that didn't include new injectors.

I've definately confused the module numbers up. I looked into all the common options for my conversion. BHW has the module installed in the engine bay so the module connector is intended to protect it from the elements. Not sure on the BEW but I know in my car it's housed inside with the ECU so it's a standard module package. I think the new CRs use the same module ending in D.

As for GPs. I've actually tested all the part numbers that I listed above. The ....07s (5V Steel) work but are a little slower. The ...08s and ...09s are basically the same (7V ceramic tip) except for the length and huge price difference. Both work relatively the same.

In either case you need the right voltage in your tune to match the GPs. You can switch between them and as a single unit as long as the voltage matches.

I actually ran through one winter on 5V steels with 7V code and they survived. Not that I recommend this but it did work. I think this was also due to the newer GP module that is capable of controling burst energy on startup.
I wonder how many people ended up with 5v steel glow plugs and still have them because they didn't get the second recall/update to 7v. I know my new to me 04 TDI has the outdated 5v and speaking to dealer/VW group have been unsuccessful so far. However I am still trying to get the car updated will see who ends up paying as its rather useless if it won't start/run.