Fuel economy on 97 jetta 1.9 aaz (idi)

Ricosuave

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature!
hi all,

i was looking at some similar cars for sale and some of them mentioned '900km, 1000km' per tank. now keep in mind this is for the 1.9 idi (aaz), not the tdi engine. so, since i get around 850km average, with my best being around 900km, i fell a bit short changed.

so for all of you that have similar cars, engines, what do you get, realistically? km or mpg wise?

finally, if i am lacking a bit in the mpg department, where can i go locally (calgary) to get it repaired, and what sort of things would i look for? fuel filter? injectors? timing belt? what would help me with that magic km amount?

thanks,

rico

TDJohn

TDI
95 VW Golf TD
Well you are doing better than me right now, my 95 1.9td golf gets 700-750/tank. I think that my timeing might be a little off and I want to get my injectors checked. I also live in Calgary and I think GCL diesel or 2square would be good options.

Very recently I accidently abbreviated my exhaust system from the resonator back. This now gives me 750-800/tank, zero back pressure on the turbo and it's not that much louder.
I also hope to get my eccomony up to around 1000/tank in the near future.

TDJohn

Ricosuave

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature!
thx for the tips guys -

stay in touch john, always good to have someone local with similar...

and smog, ive done the turbo timing bypass thing where the switch get 12v all the time instead of just at certain rpms, not sure how i feel about it yet. anyway, id kill to do your mods, but find the translation is dificult, and for something like that, ive got to be sure. can you email me with a accurate email translation?

thanks,
rico

Ricosuave

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature!
ive tired 2square - they seem ok, but not 100% sure yet - maybe will try the other one you listed. thanks.

ps best fuel ive found is husky on 37th st sw

rico

neimis

Veteran Member
TDI
'92 Passat TD, '01 Golf GL TDI, '15 Golf Trendline TDI
Rico, I generally get about 900 to 950 km. per tank in mixed/city driving. (going to 950 km. makes me pretty nervous, though) Keep in mind that my Passat has a 70 litre tank; I don't think the Golf or Jetta tanks are that big.

Having said that, this summer I drove to Edmonton from North Vancouver on one tank of diesel (odometer read almost exactly 1200 kms.) of course this was all highway, but speeds ranged from 90 km/hr to 120 km/hr. There was still about 5 litres left in the tank based on the fillup amount. Then, on the way home, I did it again - 1200 km/tank. You can bet I was crowing to the relatives a bit!

I think the mileage you are seeing is pretty normal, and probably better than mine if you are basing it on a 55 litre tank.

Micboo

hi I have A 95 golf TD. I get 47MPG. comebined. Sucks compared to 54 that I got on my 86. But I do like the power increase. Hope that helps.

Micboo

hi guy. no mods. i'de have to say at least 50%. highway.i never mat it. usually half throttle. no more. shift around 2 to 2500 rpm.seems two like operating in that range.highway speed is 100kmh. I try to allways use the cruise.i'm not good with the kilometer stuff. could you convert. and let me no in MPG what you get. oh and as far as high RPMS. NOT. this thing falls on its face at 3500 rpm.Later Gater.

Ricosuave

Veteran Member
TDI
See signature!
my fuel economy works out to around 40mpg, so thats why i was curious that you were getting 47. will try mimicing your driving habits to see.

thx,
rico

chrisvb

Veteran Member
TDI
1.9 jetta
hi all,

i was looking at some similar cars for sale and some of them mentioned '900km, 1000km' per tank. now keep in mind this is for the 1.9 idi (aaz), not the tdi engine. so, since i get around 850km average, with my best being around 900km, i fell a bit short changed.

so for all of you that have similar cars, engines, what do you get, realistically? km or mpg wise?

finally, if i am lacking a bit in the mpg department, where can i go locally (calgary) to get it repaired, and what sort of things would i look for? fuel filter? injectors? timing belt? what would help me with that magic km amount?

thanks,

rico
i get mostly around the same 850 , my engine has over 450000 and pŕetty worn though.