1.9 alh injection pump jumped time

Kpeford89

TDI
2001 jetta
I have a 2001 jetta alh motor 5 speed and I rebuilt 40 thousand miles ago the car has 180,000 on it. The other night I was driving home and it started running bad would not rev and smoked I got it home and shut it off the next day it would not start so after looking it over I got to the belt and put crank to tdc and pulled valve cover to make shure the cam was still in time did not pull vac pump to tool on yet I found the the ip was 1 to 2 teeth off hole was toward the fire wall the bolts were tight so I loosen the bolts and alined holes and car started so im wondering how it moved the belt only has 40 grand on it and is not lose has anyone else had this problem im wondering if the ip is going bad or tried to lock up I would like to fined out more befor I spend 300 on another belt kit
Thanks

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Was the tensioner adjusted properly when belt was installed? In CW direction? Quality parts?

Please use punctuation and paragraphs. Makes it so much easier for others to read.

For a moment I was wondering why you shut it off the next day.

Kpeford89

TDI
2001 jetta
Yes CW direction and yes Quality parts I was wondering if the belt stretched and the tensioner could not keep up I do drive the car a bit hard

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
Yes CW direction and yes Quality parts I was wondering if the belt stretched and the tensioner could not keep up I do drive the car a bit hard
two posts now...

Did you learn to use periods at the end of sentences or was it optional in your schooling? Really curious why you keep doing that.

Do us a favor and put one at the end. It's actually very easy if you are using a mobile device. Just double tap the space bar. It will automatically put a period AND capitalize the next letter. If you are not, then I presume ignorance at the rules of grammar on your part.

BobnOH

not-a-mechanic
TDI
New Beetle 2003 manual
Possible the cam sprocket moved or IP pulley bolts? It's not stretch.
We're gonna assume it was all installed O.K. because this came on sudden like.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
I would assume without any other obvious reason that this is a case of installer error. ALH timing belts do not just "jump" around on their own. Either the belt was not tensioned properly OR substandard (prothe, hans, etc.) parts were used.

I saw an ALH with the tensioner tensioned backwards run for quite a while, and some run for about 20 minutes.

burn_your_money

Veteran Member
TDI
99 Beetle, 96 B4V, 05 Passat wagon
Any missing teeth on the belt? Anyone know how far off the pump is if it's in the sucker hole?

Vince Waldon

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 ALH Jetta, 2003 ALH Wagon, 2005 BEW Wagon
Put another way... these belts don't stretch in any significant way. At least, not until the microsecond before they break. :)

Meaning, your issues probably lie someone other than the belt stretching two teeth... and whatever happened may happen again... this time with valves meeting pistons?! :)

Kpeford89

TDI
2001 jetta
Any missing teeth on the belt? Anyone know how far off the pump is if it's in the sucker hole?
No teeth missing. The hole was about 1/2 to 7/16 from lining up. I am going to ck the cam to see if that moved any on sat. Im thinking I'll pull the balancer to make sure there is not a problem with the crank sprocket.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2000 & 2003 Golf GLS (2005 Mercedes E320 CDI)
No teeth missing. The hole was about 1/2 to 7/16 from lining up. I am going to ck the cam to see if that moved any on sat. Im thinking I'll pull the balancer to make sure there is not a problem with the crank sprocket.
Unless you've got the cam indexed ("locked") you're not accurate here.

Is there good tensioning on the belt? (tensioner failed?)

Tensioner issue or cam gear has spun.

Bottom line: things work, until they don't.

When I do TB jobs (like I do a ton of them- ha ha, NOT! [only have done two]) I have mirrors and a camera to get up-close shots of all my key components (it can be easy to get thrown off by "error of parallax").

I did something on my first TB that I'm not going to disclose until it's changed next (whether it goes to interval or not [now have 50k miles on it]). As it's still working I have no reason to confess!;) You, OP, however, since you have a problem, need to state everything that you may have had doubts about when you did all the work (those 40k miles ago).

Kpeford89

TDI
2001 jetta
So I checked the cam with the tool and found it did not jump time. So I took the belt off. And found a broken tensioner. Guess I need a higher quality tensioner.
Thanks everyone for there help.

KyleMillione

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Jetta, 03 Jetta
If it was me, I'd order a new timing belt kit from one of the vendors on this site. It will provide you good quality replacement components for everything on the timing belt. If you got a cheap kit and the tensioner died, whats to say other components (water pump most likely) aren't gonna die next. You got lucky this time, next time maybe not.

Kpeford89

TDI
2001 jetta
If it was me, I'd order a new timing belt kit from one of the vendors on this site. It will provide you good quality replacement components for everything on the timing belt. If you got a cheap kit and the tensioner died, whats to say other components (water pump most likely) aren't gonna die next. You got lucky this time, next time maybe not.
My thoughts exactly. I plan on calling frank monday

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
So I checked the cam with the tool and found it did not jump time. So I took the belt off. And found a broken tensioner. Guess I need a higher quality tensioner.
Thanks everyone for there help.
What's the brand of that tensioner?

I'd be thinking hard about whether the tensioner was installed correctly. Doesn't matter how high-quality a part is, if it's not installed correctly it will be compromised.

Steve P.

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I have a similar problem. After setting crank and cam to TDC my pump if off more like 1 1/2".
When I remove the timing belt can I turn the pump clockwise to align with the locking pin hole and not damaging anything? Then replace the timing belt.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Nevada, you are not wrong. Could even turn it, gasp! backwards if necessary.

But one wonders how Steve P's pump got so far out of time. Shouldn't have moved at all if it was set up properly when installed. How about it Steve? Wuhappened?

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
Pretty hard for the components to move independently of each other w/o the belt loosing tension or "teeth" other than bolt(s) failed, which is usually an installation error.

Steve P.

TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
The car stopped suddenly while driving. Looking at it last night, I found that the tensioner was not in the proper position. I'm thinking it allowed the pump to slip on the belt, stopping the car. Thankful that nothing else slipped. 11/2" was not an accurate measurement either. :geek:

jokila

Vendor
TDI
2003 Jetta GLS, Manual
In your later posts you say the camshaft timing was right-on compared to crankshaft, what tool did you use to check?
You are replying to a comment from 2018. Steve P did one of those bad forum etiquette of hijacking-an-old-thread-instead-of-starting-his-own-thread thing and you ended up commenting on the old stuff.

UhOh

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Steve, as noted, start your own thread (to keep things straight): and try to use something other than "injection pump jumped time" as it's rarely the pump that's the cause of these sorts of problems [it's for sure a timing problem, but don't needlessly stigmatize IPs!]; start your own thread and it'll get figured out!