I just picked up an '03 manual ALH GLS wagon with 930,000km (578,000 miles) on it.

maxmoo

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 golf, 2001 golf, 2000 beetle, 2003 wagon, 2004 golf, 2004 jetta, all diesels
I just picked up an '03 manual ALH GLS wagon with 930,000km (578,000 miles) on it.

Bought it for parts from the original owner who was a salesman who traveled alot.
Aside from the usual suspension and brake wear parts the only things replaced on this car were:
-timing belt kit, numerous times
-alternator 1x
-clutch 1x
- both front fenders and the hatch, by vw

The engine and tranny have never been touched, head has never been off.
This car never had the starter or the turbo or the inj pump replaced or any injector work done!
All maintenance and repairs were done at one vw dealer (Pickering,ON).
Full synthetic oil always.

He finally parked it 2 yrs ago because it needed another clutch and had a bad miss at idle, (but runs perfect over 1500rpm).

When I went to pick it up it had not been running in 20 months.
Put a new battery in it and it fired up in about 8-10 seconds of cranking!
Rear brakes took some pounding to free up but within 1/2hr I was driving it.
Other than the miss at idle it runs perfect, accelerates normaly and dosen't smoke other than the first few seconds on a cold start.
The body is about a 7 out of 10, rockers are still good just a few minor dings and paint chips missing, and the interior (heated black leather) is a 9.

I bought it for parts but it seems like a shame to take it off the road.....it would be interesting to see how much further it would go.

MK4 TDI's are amazing! :D

VR6ix

Veteran Member
TDI
WVW-W 2dr ALH
You should drive it for atleast 70,001km more! Pretty awesome that road salt didn't destroy it.

Water4fire

TDI
02 Jetta TDi
my Jetta ALH 1.9 has 400,000 and same injection pump, Clutch, turbo, alternator and stuff on it. NO A/C.

But I just split the oil pan that took out the rear main seal, so I did a clutch main seal, and pan. Also Intake mani cleaning.

They are great cars. If taken care of. I plan on getting 200,000 more out of her. Another timing belt is coming due in 2000 miles. But all in all awesome.