TB Change No Start and VCDS Code P3008 19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
Looking for help from the gurus on this one. I replaced the TB with a Dieselgeek kit today in my 2005 Jetta TDI. Used the same procedure from the club that I did for the 100K TB change. Car will not start and VCDC has an error for the camshaft positoin sensor.

Here is the exact report

1 Fault Found:
19464 - Camshaft Position Sensor (G40)
P3008 - 000 - Signal Out of Range
Freeze Frame:
RPM: 252 /min
Torque: 168.0 Nm
Speed: 0.0 km/h
Load: 0.0 %
Voltage: 9.88 V
Bin. Bits: 00101100
Idle Stabilization: 0.0°KW
(no units): 35.0

Readiness: 0 0 1 1 1

I am almost complete with tearing everything back down and going through the installation again.

Please advise on what has caused this. Camshaft off by a small margin with the tensioner was set? Going back to the Army auto craft shop in the morning at 7am.

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
The camshaft position sensor is that wire that comes into the TB area just below the edge of the front of the valve cover. There's a little sensor on the end of it that reads those tabs behind the cam sprocket. The other end of it is a plug in that is mounted on the other side of the oil pump housing. Right next to the crank position sensor plug in. Did you compromise the sensor end while replacing the belt? Break the wire or unplug it?

Did you turn the engine at least twice by hand before attempting restart? How far did you take the fuel hoses loose? Did you prime the system by keying the lift pump on and off several times? Can you hear the lift pump working when you turn the key to on?

Many times people don't realize their lift pump has failed until they do a belt job or otherwise have the fuel system apart for some reason.

armyschus

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf S TDI, Blue Silk Metalic, 6M
Camshaft was off just enough to cause the error and no start condition. I went back and reset everything and it started just fine. Getting the torsion set took a couple of attempts but have it set also.