semi-newbie e-code question and comment/question..

PhotonBoy

TDI
'04 shadow blue Jetta wagon by the name of Linda w ventectomy, Dieselgeek short shift, - DRLs, Monster mats, PD100 injectors and a Tempest Blue '11 Jetta Sportwagen, hasn't told me her name yet, Dieselgeek short shift, more to come..
First the question: I have noticed that alot of folks in different threads say that e-codes are great, awesome, fantastic, way better than stock, etc. but I don't recall anyone saying exactly why this is the case. What's the deal with these lights? What makes them better? My '04 Jetta lights seem ok but not great. Since it's the only nice car I've ever had I don't really have a comparison.

Now the comment/question: I often notice when driving at night that many of the newer cars have headlights that are almost blinding if they are coming towards you or even if they are in the side or rearview mirrors. They seem to have some super bright, eye piercing bluish beam. After one of them hits my eyes I loose my night vision for a couple of seconds and have to blink and try to look away and keep looking at the road at the same time. It seems to me that these are actually dangerous to oncoming traffic and should be regulated or something. Will e-codes have me doing that to other drivers?

Chris

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
:)2002 A4 TDI , 2006 A5:)
e-codes are only different in the beam pattern which puts more light on the road than the DOT units. They also light up the right side of the road so that you better see wildlife and road signs.

What you see on other cars (bright blueish lights) are HID (High Intensity Discharge) lights. They are marginally better than e-codes in that they shine whiter and have a better light output. Some units, especially on some japanese brands like Nissan, are poorly designed and aimed and therefore blind people. These are also available for your car but the cost is aroung $1100 vs $350 for e-codes.

Golf_GTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Golf GLS
Re: semi-newbie e-code question and comment/questi

HIDs are wonderful... its the folks who try to add them to systems not made to be HIDs that are screwing it up for everyone.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Re: semi-newbie e-code question and comment/questi

HIDs are wonderful... its the folks who try to add them to systems not made to be HIDs that are screwing it up for everyone.
I also have trouble dealing with the glare from what I have to assume are OE ones when they're behind me--Ford products in particular. But I've always had trouble with glare from Ford lights of all kinds, especially in the pickups. But get a Navigator on your tail with those HIDs and your corneas are toast!

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Oh, and your question. E-codes were one of the first mods I made to my Jetta Wagon. They have several advantages: better light pattern for suburban use, especially good at lighting the side of the road; built in fog lights which are great in the snow as well; much brighter high beams; and city lights, which are little bulbs that illuminate the reflector without really projecting any light. Those are great when you want to be seen (at first sign of dusk) but don't want your headlights on. You need a euro switch to take advantge of these lights, but they're great. Not easy to install, either, IMO, because you have to remove the front bumper cover.

But if you drive where it's dark (not in lighted areas all the time) they make a world of difference.

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Aren't those conversion kits illegal now???
That is out of control! The OE ones that bother me the most are on Nissan Maxima's and the Lexus cars. As soon as the car hits a bumb, the lights shake and blind you. Very anoying. It almost has a stobe effect...

PhotonBoy

TDI
'04 shadow blue Jetta wagon by the name of Linda w ventectomy, Dieselgeek short shift, - DRLs, Monster mats, PD100 injectors and a Tempest Blue '11 Jetta Sportwagen, hasn't told me her name yet, Dieselgeek short shift, more to come..
Thanks for the responses. Sounds like the e-codes might make it onto my (ever growing) to do list of mods. I do think that the HIDs are just too bright for anything but highbeams and should only be used when you are the only one on the road. I mean, hey, you could actually kill someone with those things! I have certainly had my eyeballs scalded a good many times, from the front and from the rear. I like the idea of having foglights since I live near San Francisco. I wonder how long it will be until LEDs make it into headlights...

Chris

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
"To me, truth is not some vague, foggy notion. Truth is
real. And, at the same time, unreal. Fiction and fact and
everything in between, plus some things I can't remember,
all rolled into one big 'thing.' This is truth, to me."

- Jack Handey

pepper10

Veteran Member
TDI
Bear in mind that good HID units are self-leveling. When properly aimed, they do not blind oncoming cars. It's a combination of poor and/or cheap design and lack of proper mechanic training (dealer prep, etc) that makes HID's dangerous to others.

MTB_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf MT indigo blue pearl 4 dr & '15 Touareg TDI
Proper aim is the key to any light set up. I just put ecodes in my car and I love them. they light up the wildlife and roadsigns. I have 65W low beams and no one has brighted me yet, but I took the time and aimed them properly!

weedeater

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta, 2001, Baltic Green
If the lights are aimed correctly, you should not see the brightness in your mirrors. The problem is that these JERKS have their lights aimed too high and don't give a sh!t about blinding or killing anyone.

There's not much that can be done with trucks and SUVs. The lights are up higher than a sedan driver's sitting height hence they will always shine in his eyes. Since I also drive a truck I try to remember and be courteous by turning off my lights if they're shining in someones eyes at a light. Though once I had a cop stop by me and command me to turn them back on. Idiot.