2.0 Gen 1 post fix impressions, issues, etc.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I just filled up after driving 1 full tank after the fix. MPG's were 41.2 over the first tank. I was averaging right around this over my last few pre fix tanks, so I am happy with MPG results.

The changes in the shift points, and extra re gens do affect the MPG's. Under normal acceleration I feel the car is talking a larger hit to the MPG averages than they did before. I try to spot red lights in advance and coast into them to save fuel when possible. In the past if I was able to coast into a stop light, and accelerate back up to speed at a normal rate, I would see only a small dip in my MPG average for the drive that I was on. Post fix it is harder to keep the averages up during acceleration.

The shift points are something I need to adjust to also. I have a road by my house that i always set the cruse to 40 mph on. Pre fix the car would cruse in 6th gear at 40 mph, and post fix it seems the car will not make the shift into 6th until 42-43 mph. I find that the MPG's can be notably down during this section of road with the car staying in 5th gear. I can move the can manually move the car into 6th gear, and the MPG's do improve. My guess is that VW has moved the shift point up to help with the increase in the number of small re gens. The higher RPM's probably tolerate the re gens a little better.

I did have another odd thing happen a few days ago. I was at about 35 mph when I pressed the resume cruse button that would cause the car to accelerate back up to 60 mph. For some reason the car down shifted multiple gears, and the brought the RPM's up just shy of red line. The car accelerated very hard from 35-45, then normal up to 60. Kinda freaked me out a little bit because the RPM's shot up so fast due to the down shift I wasn't sure if they were going to stop.

MonsterTDI09

TDIClub Enthusiast, Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta DSG/ up keep on 2009 Jetta DSG 2006 Jetta Pag 2 in North SEA Green
Just got the car back from the dealer said it was fixed. Logged on the way home using vcds and the temps look a tad hot but I cant complain since I havent logged a VW before. Just pulled in the drive and ran a scan of the car and it came up with an error about the EGR.

1 Fault Found:
001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Priority: 2
Fault Frequency: 2
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 246784 k
Time Indication: 0
"
Date: 2013.02.28
Time: 15:03:42

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1656 /min
Speed: 84.0 km/h
Voltage: 13.98 V
Load: 95.7 %
Load: 100.0 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 370.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 390.0 mg/str

Not sure how to feel about this car runs good so might just let it go for a while
You have a cracked DPF.

tylerltr450

TDI
2010 DSG TDI, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 tuned by me
reset the code and did some data logging last night, Does anyone know normal egt temps?

Im used to big trucks and even my truck doesnt run as hot as this VW at the same operating speed and load.

trevinator

TDI
2009 Jetta Sedan
Sounds like your battery may be on it's last legs. Even if it tests out as ok, it may not be quite enough for the power these cars pull on start up. I'd start there, especially since "winter is coming".
Turns out it was the fuel filter. It wasn't quite due to be changed but putting in a new one solved the problem. Starts like normal again.

Another issue: When i'm cruising in 3rd or 4th gear and neutral throttle (neither accelerating or decelerating) the car lurches and hesitates like someone is tapping on the accelerator pedal to the beat of a song.
Dealer says since there is no codes/lights for warranty they won't help me unless I pay their diagnostic fees
I thought at first it was related to a dpf regen since sometimes it acts weird right before and during regenerating. Still happening 2 regens later and it's getting really annoying. Any ideas?

ksing44

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
Another issue: When i'm cruising in 3rd or 4th gear and neutral throttle (neither accelerating or decelerating) the car lurches and hesitates like someone is tapping on the accelerator pedal to the beat of a song.
Dealer says since there is no codes/lights for warranty they won't help me unless I pay their diagnostic fees
I thought at first it was related to a dpf regen since sometimes it acts weird right before and during regenerating. Still happening 2 regens later and it's getting really annoying. Any ideas?
I'm very confident that if you monitored exhaust gas temperature (EGT) you'd find that the lurching and hesitation are accompanied by spikes in EGT. I'm convinced it's the shorter NOx regens that are causing what I call herky-jerky behavior. There is also what some people have called "hill cresting flutter" or "stutter", that is caused by de-fueling under light throttle and light load. If you add that to the NOx regens, you can get some moments of very rough responses from a fixed TDI.

foggedz

TDI
2013 Jetta TDI
I'm very confident that if you monitored exhaust gas temperature (EGT) you'd find that the lurching and hesitation are accompanied by spikes in EGT. I'm convinced it's the shorter NOx regens that are causing what I call herky-jerky behavior. There is also what some people have called "hill cresting flutter" or "stutter", that is caused by de-fueling under light throttle and light load. If you add that to the NOx regens, you can get some moments of very rough responses from a fixed TDI.
I agree. After the fix I drove my car around with the Torque app running and saw a large increase in short regens. Depending on your speed you could notice some jerking if you are at the lower RPM range of the particular gear that you are in. IMO VW tried to adjust for this be raising the shift RPM's slightly. The higher the engine RPM's the easier the engine will be able to burn the extra fuel being pumped in by a regen. Unfortunately all of this means lower MPG's....

Samcar222

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Salsa Red JSW TDI
Hey everyone, long time 2010 TDI DSG owner, bought back at 90k (DMF was starting to rattle, lol). Replaced with a new then 17 Alltrack SEL DSG. Awesome car, minus lack of TDI, and the new 6DSG is a POS.

Just found a CPO fixed 2014 JSW 6mt with 7000 miles. Yes, 7k miles.. $16k. Taking a look tomorrow..

*EDIT* Has anyone had a fixed car long enough to see how the intercooler icing flaw is 'working' with all the new software and hardware? We had the flap valve IC surface area bypass fix on our pre-dieselgate 2010 and it was manageable with grill blocks.

Last edited:

tylerltr450

TDI
2010 DSG TDI, 2006 Dodge Ram 2500 tuned by me
Re-scanned the car again and got more codes
Looks like a call to VW might be in order.

3 Faults Found:
001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 001 - Insufficient Flow - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100001
Fault Frequency: 28
Mileage: 248265 km
Date: 2013.03.08
Time: 21:13:55

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1403 /min
Speed: 44.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.14 V
Load: 93.3 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 360.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 390.0 mg/str

008194 - Particulate Trap Bank 1
P2002 - 007 - Efficiency Below Threshold - MIL ON
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 11100111
Fault Frequency: 1
Mileage: 248426 km
Date: 2013.03.09
Time: 16:35:56

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1748 /min
Speed: 88.0 km/h
(no units): 81.6
(no units): 20.4
(no units): 2.75
Pressure: 326 mbar
Pressure: 41 mbar

001025 - EGR System
P0401 - 002 - Insufficient Flow - Intermittent
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 00100010
Fault Frequency: 3
Mileage: 248710 km
Date: 2013.03.11
Time: 17:29:47

Freeze Frame:
RPM: 1794 /min
Speed: 91.0 km/h
Voltage: 14.14 V
Load: 95.7 %
Mass Air / Rev.: 470.0 mg/str
Mass Air / Rev.: 485.0 mg/str

peterdaniel

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL 5 spd TDi, 2003 Jetta GLS Indigo blue 5spd wagon. 2003 Jetta GLS Candy white wagon 5 speed
Wait... did they use a different DSG for the 15's or later? Are they different than the '14's?

METZDUP

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
2011 golf tdi 6m about 125k at fix

Fix done Spring 2018. I'm now at about 138k (12k post-fix) and I've had nothing but issues.

Immediately noticeable was a lag in power.
Fuel economy was down a bit as expected.

The larger issue was a shutter at highway speeds that began as an occasional flutter and become a regular hesitation that built up to the point of my car going into "shutdown mode" on the highway less than 2 weeks after the "fix". Not a fun experience with kids in the car.

Towed to dealer where they replaced several emissions-related parts (including the DPF).

SIDE NOTE: At time of fix I had a major service done including timing belt. Bye-bye VW kick-back.

I've since had the clutch replaced and things seemed fine.

BUT then the DPF light came on (something that I'd only seen ONCE in the first 125K of driving this car ... I drive 70 miles one way to work) ... This time, the DPF light didn't clear and it wouldn't regenerate. At this time the engine was idling SUPER rough even for a VW diesel ... teeth-rattling.

Back at the dealer they also could not get the DPF to regenerate until they drained the fuel (which they claim was bad) and put in "good" diesel fuel. (I've used diesel fuel since the 90's and have never had bad fuel.) Anyway ... the dealer attributed the rough idle to the flywheel going ...

I now have the my Golf at a service place I trust to trouble-shoot the rough idle (no codes thrown for that, btw). To be continued.

What I've learned is the "fix" has rendered the most reliable car I've ever owned into a virtually useless money-pit of problems. My unscientific opinion is that this universal "fix" reacts differently depending on model and seemingly unrelated, circumstantial issues arise as a result.

Peytron

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta
Fix done Spring 2018. I'm now at about 138k (12k post-fix) and I've had nothing but issues.

Immediately noticeable was a lag in power.
Fuel economy was down a bit as expected.

The larger issue was a shutter at highway speeds that began as an occasional flutter and become a regular hesitation that built up to the point of my car going into "shutdown mode" on the highway less than 2 weeks after the "fix". Not a fun experience with kids in the car.

Towed to dealer where they replaced several emissions-related parts (including the DPF).

SIDE NOTE: At time of fix I had a major service done including timing belt. Bye-bye VW kick-back.

I've since had the clutch replaced and things seemed fine.

BUT then the DPF light came on (something that I'd only seen ONCE in the first 125K of driving this car ... I drive 70 miles one way to work) ... This time, the DPF light didn't clear and it wouldn't regenerate. At this time the engine was idling SUPER rough even for a VW diesel ... teeth-rattling.

Back at the dealer they also could not get the DPF to regenerate until they drained the fuel (which they claim was bad) and put in "good" diesel fuel. (I've used diesel fuel since the 90's and have never had bad fuel.) Anyway ... the dealer attributed the rough idle to the flywheel going ...

I now have the my Golf at a service place I trust to trouble-shoot the rough idle (no codes thrown for that, btw). To be continued.

What I've learned is the "fix" has rendered the most reliable car I've ever owned into a virtually useless money-pit of problems. My unscientific opinion is that this universal "fix" reacts differently depending on model and seemingly unrelated, circumstantial issues arise as a result.

The occasional flutter is certainly annoying. I notice it more at low speeds when the engine hasn't warmed up yet, and I end up manually shifting up a gear. Can you give us more details on the "shutdown" mode?

Thanks

METZDUP

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
The occasional flutter is certainly annoying. I notice it more at low speeds when the engine hasn't warmed up yet, and I end up manually shifting up a gear. Can you give us more details on the "shutdown" mode?

Thanks
Sure. These cars are designed to go into a shutdown mode or "limp mode" as a fail safe to avoid potential catastrophic engine failure. Basically, every light in the dash turns on and the car immediately decelerates to about 20mph. In theory, this allows the driver to get the car to a safe place. Not fun on the highway.

If your car does what mine did, the fluttering will increase and it's a matter of time before it goes to limp mode.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
I just read through this entire thread. I did the BB on my '13 Jetta TDI, but I'm now looking for a car for my son and I just put a deposit down on a 2014 Golf TDI with 38k miles that had the fix done. I test drove it today, and I gotta say, it did NOT feel like my (unfixed) Jetta. Hard to put my finger on exactly what the differences were, I only drove it for 10 minutes, but there undoubtedly were differences. It did seem noisier at idle and low rpm, like others have said. But more important, it doesn't have the same zip or sportiness of my (unfixed) Jetta. Since it was only a short test drive, I don't have any data on the mpg. First I thought that maybe there was something wrong with the car, but I don't think so.

Also, maybe I should know this, but I don't: what are the "regens" and "regenerations" everyone is referring to? Can someone explain this to me?

Thank you.

Last edited:

METZDUP

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Also, maybe I should know, this but I don't: what are the "regens" and "regenerations" everyone is referring to? Can someone explain this to me?

Thank you.
NON-EXPERT EXPLANATION: The Regens / Regeneration is related to the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which is designed to incinerate diesel emissions. If the car isn't driven enough, or long enough, the DPF may start to clog and need to "regenerate" by simply driving on the highway for about 30 miles—allowing the DPF to do it's job and basically clear the build up.

There will be a light indicator light in the dash that appears when the DPF needs to regenerate.

DieselMann99

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Jetta TDI w/ Premium, DSG (Buyback Nov 2018); 2013 Jetta TDI (bought Dec 2018); also, bought a CPO 2017 Passat TSI (Nov 2018)
NON-EXPERT EXPLANATION: The Regens / Regeneration is related to the DPF (diesel particulate filter) which is designed to incinerate diesel emissions. If the car isn't driven enough, or long enough, the DPF may start to clog and need to "regenerate" by simply driving on the highway for about 30 miles—allowing the DPF to do it's job and basically clear the build up.

There will be a light indicator light in the dash that appears when the DPF needs to regenerate.
Thank you, Metz.

So when the DPF starts to clog, is engine performance diminished until you regen it?

Also, is the indicator light the CEL, or a specific light?

METZDUP

TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Thank you, Metz.

So when the DPF starts to clog, is engine performance diminished until you regen it?

Also, is the indicator light the CEL, or a specific light?

Not a significant noticeable performance difference.

It's a specific DPF light.

kjclow

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2010 JSW TDI silver and black. 2017 Ram Ecodiesel dark red with brown and beige interior.
When the DPF gets filled with diesel particulates to a specified limit, it will either do a passive regeneration at highway speeds and temps that you should barely notice. If that doesn't happen or your engine is not up to operating temperature, the computer will request an active regeneration and supply excess fuel (blow by) to the exhaust to burn the particulates into ash. Prior to the fix, the regens (either type) usually occurred about once a tank. Since the fix, it's been reported that the regens seem to be shorter in duration but happening more frequently, about every 100 miles.

What I typically notice is that the rpm at idle kicks up to about 1000 for a few minutes. Maybe as much as 10 if the car is not hot enough. You might detect a burning rubber or paint smell from the outside if you either shut it down during a regen or shortly after. The can may also shudder slightly.

If your dpf cel comes on, you have issues and need to get it checked.

Last edited:

flargabarg

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Touareg Lux TDI
With a short test drive I would remind you of two things. First, not all cars are identical. You could have been driving a "bad one". This is true even of brand new vehicles. Second, several of the systems on these cars are adaptive and so may act slightly differently if they have been driven by someone with very different driving habits. So you might want to drive a second one before you decide.

Diesl

Veteran Member
TDI
'78 Golf Diesel (long gone); 2012 Jetta Sportwagen TDI w/ DSG
Minimal Change in Diesel Mileage

My diesel mileage went from 34.8 mpg for the last full year before the change to 34.5 mpg for the first 10k miles and nine months after the emissions fix. The car is a 2012 Jetta Sportwagon 2.0L TDI with now 92k miles.

craigldavis

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 JSW M/T; 2014 Q7
I wanted to post a long-term followup after my fix (all is still well)...
I have an '09 JSW 2.0 TDI with Manual Trans.
I had my fix done in August of 2017 with 276,000 miles on the car at the time.
As of today (December 2018) I have 323,000 miles on the car.
So, I've driven it for 47,000 miles and 16 months and still am glad I got the fix, with no issues to report.
MPG, Drivability, Etc all barely noticeable. I'd buy another one just like it in a heartbeat (and actually got my wife a "fixed" '14 Q7 TDI which she loves).
Summary of issues (all handled and nothing worrisome):
  • 5 miles after fix - Alternator Pulley Failure (must be coincidence -- DIY replacement)
  • 5 miles after fix - Battery failure (2.9 years into a parts store 3 year battery -- coincidence and free replacement at parts store)
  • 5K miles after fix - Intake Manifold replaced under the new "fix" warranty (it was starting to throw codes before the fix but was able to behave itself to get the fix so not related to the fix, but replaced for free because of the fix warranty)
  • 8K miles after fix - Turbo actuator replaced (threw code, tech at dealer wanted to replace entire turbo, VW warranty claims said actuator only. Tech installed new actuator under fix warranty, all well since then)
  • 47K miles after fix -- main radiator cooling fan starting to wobble (seems reasonable that it has only lasted 320K miles). Will likely replace myself from a boneyard. It may be taking additional wear from more frequent or longer regens but I'm not even going to bother the dealer with it as a potential warranty fix.
Otherwise, all is still well. normal maintenance, fluids, filters, tires all performed to schedule.

jack57

TDI
2009 jetta
MPG drop after emissions fix

I have noticed pretty much the same as everyone else except for more reduced mpg's. I was getting about 580 to 600 miles per tank (100 miles/day commute to work) now I am down to about 490-500. Mostly highway driving at 75-80 mph.

I'm also seeing about a 10% drop in mpg when calculated with pen and paper (well by xls) post fix. Car is 2009 gen 1 manual and fix was completed back in August. What really irks me is that mfd shows that I'm getting same or better mpg as before. Its pretty obviously they tweaked the settings so that people would think they're getting better mpg. Isn't this how they got into trouble in the first place?

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Just got our '10 A3 TDI back today from the fix. Drove it 100k home.

Less power
Engine sounds different under load at lower RPM
While cruising down the highway @ 105kph I get an occasional flutter like it's loosing power. Very annoying. It sometimes will do it cruising between 80-90 kph too. I find this unacceptable as part of the fix. I'm waiting for Audi service to call back and address my complaint.
They deleted all of the convenience module programming, including unlocking the doors when you shut the car off. Also unacceptable, it had nothing to do with the recall.

toneman

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 JSW
Just got mine back yesterday, so 20 miles in it seems a tad louder, a tad less efficient. Got a regen almost immediately. Also got the Chase notice of $6200 headed my way. Wait and see mode.

ytjetta

TDI
2014 Jetta SportWagen TDI DSG
It's been one week and about 400 miles of use since i bought a post-fix cpo 2014 jetta sportwagen. One thing i noticed is that the car tends to lug a little longer, i.e., it doesn't downshift after the speed reduces, for e.g., when slowing down or starting to go uphill. So in some cases, I have to go manual mode and downshift and then go back to DSG mode after a while. I know part of the emission fix involved changing the DSG shift points when accelerating but nothing when deccelerating. Want to know if anyone is having similar issue?

ytjetta
2014 jetta sportwagen tdi @ 26k miles

Uberhare

Veteran Member
TDI
Too many.
Total fail! I finally lifted the hood today to see the stickers they add after the recall to find they didn't even put my airbox back together. The warm air valve had been replaced but they just left the top of the box flopping around. Not very impressed, we drove it for 4 days like that.

jbright

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta DSG
I'm also seeing about a 10% drop in mpg when calculated with pen and paper (well by xls) post fix. Car is 2009 gen 1 manual and fix was completed back in August. What really irks me is that mfd shows that I'm getting same or better mpg as before. Its pretty obviously they tweaked the settings so that people would think they're getting better mpg. Isn't this how they got into trouble in the first place?

My MFD is much more inaccurate after the fix than before. I calculate every tank with pen and paper. MFD shows I'm getting about the same mpg as before but mileage is 3 to 4 mpg less this past year after getting the fix. Car still drives the same, however (except more regens).

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Total fail! I finally lifted the hood today to see the stickers they add after the recall to find they didn't even put my airbox back together. The warm air valve had been replaced but they just left the top of the box flopping around. Not very impressed, we drove it for 4 days like that.
Your responsibility to lift the hood and at least do a cursory check of everything before departing the dealership. Good thing you found it sooner rather than later. Always do an inspection post service work. What did the dealership have to say?