PD130 + ALH EGR on 1Z/AHU?

tdtdi98

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
I'm a newbie / original owner -- after 210K miles my EGR diaphragm is no longer holding vacuum, with resulting CEL / P1403 DTC. I'm in California so have to keep the EGR functional. New 1Z/AHU intake manifold/EGR appear to be either unavailable or really expensive, and I don't want to install a used one with risk of a leaky diaphragm. I think a PD130 intake would work but not sure what to do about bolt on EGR valve (for an ALH?) and adapter, and if it would work interchangeably without throwing a CEL. Any ideas if this would work?

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
The pd130 and pd150 are the same part basically, and i think both # comes in left or right hand config, this intake is a fantastic upgrade as its bolt on and has all the holes you need for the EGR already.

The AHU runs on boost pressure for everything, ECU, Wastegate, N75 and so on.
The ALH does the same thing but on vacuum.
I am not sure, its been a while, but i think the AHU runs the EGR off the vacuum pump so you should be good. there are ones that bolt inline.
I happen to have an adapter to the stock intake rubber boot to the PD150 that i welded up, ill sell it to you for next to nothing compared to the alternative so that will get you this far. but i remember seeing a bolt on EGR valve but im not sure if its boost or vacuum, that im sure someone can comment on. most of us have the luxury of being able to delete them for (race car)!

Check the intake, if its mildly to highly cakes up in black crud you want to clean the hear intake ports BEFORE you run the engine. most members that skip this step blow the engine from a now freed up intake and a chunk on the head will break off and bend a valve of a rod. Its not hard to clean the head intake ports, just kinda a PITA.

ToddA1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'96 B4V, '97 B4 (sold), '97 Jetta (scrapped)
Search G60ing’s Corrado build thread. I believe he used an egr with his PD intake, but I don’t believe it was ALH.

-Todd

tdtdi98

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Thanks for the help. I'll do some more research...smog not due until next year so have some time. I did find a used original that is holding vacuum so will probably try that route in lieu of a bunch of mods beyond my capability.

Mongler98

Top Post Dawg
TDI
98 Jetta TDI AHU 1.9L (944 TDI swap in progress) I moved so now i got nothing but an AHU in a garage on a pallet.
Thanks for the help. I'll do some more research...smog not due until next year so have some time. I did find a used original that is holding vacuum so will probably try that route in lieu of a bunch of mods beyond my capability.
changing the intake manifold is the same work regardless. go with the pd130 and bolt on EGR and clean the head. its not hard to do, buy a few extra bolts for the head and a bolt extractor socket kit. you can make s torque wrench easily to get to the hard bolts.
no matter what you do, your buying parts for a 20+ year old car. i would not even touch the used EGR. Unless its NOS (new old stock) and never used.
its not a difficult job. and i have an adapter for you, all you need is the EGR and the pd130. Its about $85 bucks on ebay from overseas in the UK.