Metal in Fuel Filter ... Should you change it?

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Simple question, if you find metal in your fuel filter, should you:

1. Change immediately

2. Just wait and change it a the appropriate service intervals.

Just did the first check at about 8K miles and found a small amount of metal flakes. See pics below.

Note: I have used 1/3 - 1/2 gal of B100 and 4 oz of PS at every fill up from Day 1.

Thanks!

PS - not trying to start a debate or contribute to fear mongering ...

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Have you not seen all the posts on this subject??and fuel system failures on these cars.....
Yes I have, but I could not find a general consensus on whether or not the filter should be changed immediately if metal flakes are present.

That is all I want to know ...

CedarPark68

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta TDI Wagen
First and foremost, you have the better of the two versions of fuel filters ..... the 'other version' with 'two holes' has a design which is predicated on a simple fact which cannot always be maintained.

Secondly, since you opened your canister, you should do everything in your power to get the fuel and filter out of there before you reseal. ( probably too late now )

Why?
Because whatever is floating around in your fuel was 'outside' your filter.... with your lid open and the seal from the filter to the fuel system open there is a chance that some of those particles float, dance, dive, etc into what would have been the inside or filtered area and thus taken into the HPFP.

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Why?
Because whatever is floating around in your fuel was 'outside' your filter.... with your lid open and the seal from the filter to the fuel system open there is a chance that some of those particles float, dance, dive, etc into what would have been the inside or filtered area and thus taken into the HPFP.
Yeah, and I read in the Bentley manual that you need to change the the seal, which prompted my post. I wanted to wait until my 10K "free" service from the dealer, but could not wait to take a peek. 2K for a fuel filter though? Hey, at least I will get to see if anything else accumulates in that short time ...

I did start it and let it run for about a minute to double check for leaks :eek:

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Fuel Filters are prescribed to be changed every 20k miles, according to the owners manual.

That said, since you peeled it open found metal flakes it would be a prudent idea to suck out all the contaminated fuel and replace the filter right now.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Und tschüss! 2009 Jetta 12/23/2012
DWalk, did you check the metering valve for metal particles?

Last edited:

nj1266

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf
That said, since you peeled it open found metal flakes it would be a prudent idea to suck out all the contaminated fuel and replace the filter right now.
That is the prudent thing to do if you find flakes in the filter canister. Take a turkey baster and empty the D2, change the filter, and the rubber seal.

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Thanks guys,

I went ahead and changed it out this morning. Plus 3, I did not see anything on the metering valve. Also, I didn't see any additional metal flakes on the bottom of the filter housing but it was hard to tell.

Time to drive on ... still love this car and the TDI community.

Everyone have a Happy New Year!

epc

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI
With your consistent use of biodiesel and fuel treatment since the first tank, it follows:

1) There should be no question on the lack of lubricity. And it then follows that the most popular hypothesis on hpfp failure (low lubricity killing the hpfp) should be called into doubt.

2) Or, the specks you saw were not metal shavings, but just some physical contaminants.

3) Or, the specks you saw were metal shavings, but they were not caused by the fuel you put in (biodiesel + fuel treatment); rather, they were caused by the dealer accidentally putting gasoline in your car and then draining it prior to delivery to you. This was the hypothesis put forth by a forum member who cited it from a VW rep whom the forum member met.

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
How many miles on your car? Will you still be under warranty for the next FF change? If so, have the dealer do it and observe closely. If there are any metal flakes present, make sure it gets documented.

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
How many miles on your car? Will you still be under warranty for the next FF change? If so, have the dealer do it and observe closely. If there are any metal flakes present, make sure it gets documented.
8K, and yes, at the 20K service by the dealer.

I sweet talked the cashier at the dealership when I was buying the filter and she pointed out the "nice" service person I should talk to. I tried to strike up a conversation with said service consultant scheduling my 10K maintenance and didn't have much luck. She didn't bat an eye when I told her I found metal flakes and was changing the fuel filter.

gui_from_nice

TDI
Golf TDI 2010
Hello guys,
I just done my 30k (km) service at the dealer.
I insisted to view when fuel filter will be opened.
We found lot of metal flakes.
Here is the picture.

pictured was taken, and they will call the vw tech line next week.
He finally decided to not change the fuel filter, if the vw tech rep want to see the flakes. Hope it was not a bad choice...

can you have a look and tell me if it is that bad.
My mind is, there is too much metal...

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
This is what the VW tech told the dealer to do when I took my car in for metal specks at about 26k miles. Posts 35 and 41 are updates on my metal specks.

So, I am hoping that my metal specks at 26k miles were a one-off event and my HPFP will have a long life. As I've said before, I will continue to check my FF periodically for metal contamination. If metal specks reappear, at that time I will make an informed judgement of what I to do going forward taking into account that the powertrain warranty expires at 60k miles.

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Plus 3, thanks for your thoughts. I have read your thread before and followed your experience. This is exactly the approach I am taking, maybe the metal flakes are a part of the break-in process of the car? This is why I wanted to know whether I should change my fuel filter before the 20k. I understand now that if you break the seal (open it up), you have to change it. This kind of sucks but makes sense.

Gui from Nice: Based on other recommendations, I would get the dealer to change the fuel filter immediately. The pictures should be enough for the VW tech in my opinion. It is strange that everyone here recommended an immediate change, but the dealer didn't change it so they can wait for a second opinion? Even before I posted on the forum, I was leaning towards changing it out right away.

PS - If you are from Nice, FR ... I was just there in April and loved it!

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
Yeah, unfortunately with the new filter like yours there's a chance that contamination can enter the inside of the filter (filtered fuel side) when the lid is removed. So, to be safe a filter change at each inspection would be appropriate.

With the older filter like mine it's virtually impossible for contamination to get to the filtered side of the filter when the FF canister lid is removed.

Plus 3 Golfer

Veteran Member
TDI
When did VW change fuel filter designs on the 2010's? Didn't know this was changed...
From http://www.myturbodiesel.com/1000q/a5/2009-2010-VW-TDI-fuel-filter.htm
2009-2011 TDI use 2 different fuel filters. 2009-2010 Jetta TDI built up to about 8/2010 used the 2 hole wide mouth filters (1k0127434 or 1k0127434a). 2010 VW Jetta TDI built after 9/2010 and 2010 Golf TDI should use the 1 hole narrow mouth filter 1k0127434b. The difference in the part number is no suffix, suffix "a", or suffix "b".
The difference in the part is 1 hole narrow mouth (filter B) or 2 hole wide mouth (no suffix filter and A). They use different housings and the 2 hole wide mouth filter is taller. I believe the difference in filters was due to rolling changes and parts availability during production. VW switched from one style, to another, then back to the first, and now I think they are trying to get rid of the leftovers. My opinion is that during the transition periods, which part equipped on your car could be as random as the guy on the assembly line grabbing something from the bin on the left vs. the bin on the right. Even though the 2010 Audi A3 TDI engine and basic chassis are the same as the Golf and Jetta TDI, it also uses a different housing, adding to the amusement.
2009 VW Jetta sedan and sportwagen and 2010 Audi A3 TDI have a "CBEA" engine code. All others have CJAA engines. The fuel filters are not correlated to engine type.

gui_from_nice

TDI
Golf TDI 2010
Plus 3, thanks for your thoughts. I have read your thread before and followed your experience. This is exactly the approach I am taking, maybe the metal flakes are a part of the break-in process of the car? This is why I wanted to know whether I should change my fuel filter before the 20k. I understand now that if you break the seal (open it up), you have to change it. This kind of sucks but makes sense.

Gui from Nice: Based on other recommendations, I would get the dealer to change the fuel filter immediately. The pictures should be enough for the VW tech in my opinion. It is strange that everyone here recommended an immediate change, but the dealer didn't change it so they can wait for a second opinion? Even before I posted on the forum, I was leaning towards changing it out right away.

PS - If you are from Nice, FR ... I was just there in April and loved it!
Yeah I lived in Nice. I grow up right there. I leave 4 years ago for canada.
Cool you enjoyed the city :p

for my car, I go back the day after to the dealer, to change the fuel filter. there was few or no metal shavings inside the fuel canister. Hope they didn't travel to the hpfp.
The car run fine. I put 100km on it, and no problem.
I willhave more news about vwoc next week.

DWalk

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI DSG
Yeah I lived in Nice. I grow up right there. I leave 4 years ago for canada.
Cool you enjoyed the city :p

for my car, I go back the day after to the dealer, to change the fuel filter. there was few or no metal shavings inside the fuel canister. Hope they didn't travel to the hpfp.
The car run fine. I put 100km on it, and no problem.
I willhave more news about vwoc next week.
Good luck with your TDI. I think the probability of us having fuel system issues is still relatively low.

Hurricane Drew

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Jetta TDI Sedan
Digging up an old thread, but should these "metal" flakes be ferrous? Ran a magnet over the literally 4-5 I found in my canister, but they weren't attracted to the magnet. Random physical object and not metal wear from the HPFP, most likely, or am I off base? Seemed a brownish almost copper color.

fred1331

TDI
2010 jetta
brass is non ferrous an brass is what the rotor vanes are made of in the hpfp hense the copper or goldish color in housing

MayorDJQ

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'10 Golf 2dr 6m, sold.
brass is non ferrous an brass is what the rotor vanes are made of in the hpfp hense the copper or goldish color in housing
What "rotor vanes"? Inside the pump is shaft with two cam lobes that operate a piston. None of the pics I've seen of the guts of an HPFP have looked like brass. I wouldn't think brass would hold up very long in the HPFP.