Daily RANT thread - Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

TDIDarryl

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta TDI
mathematicians....high speed equals high beams..
common denominator is alot of Toyota Corolla drivers and a number of Civic drivers
I think the dealers now require testing to purchase certain cars...
BMW purchasers require passing the @$$hole test
Corolla drivers the stupid @$$hole test
LOL. Let's not forget that when buying an Audi, you must be proficient at using the rear fog lights in all conditions. Especially clear nights! :D

TDIFred

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Sportwagen, 2009, Graphite
Burned Out

LOL. Let's not forget that when buying an Audi, you must be proficient at using the rear fog lights in all conditions. Especially clear nights! :D
so glad they (Audi) finally got around to installing turn signals in them! :D
oh and if you're driving an older model VW Anything (=Jetta, Golf, Beetle, Passat), do a visual inspection of ALL your lights occasionally. odds are you've got at least one burned out bulb! :rolleyes:

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
A suggestion from a local member. Instead of polluting other threads with off topic rants, here is a thread dedicated to RANTING.
Here's my rant - why is the Ontario subforum polluted with 99% off topic, chat, for sale or WTB threads?

Off topic / chat = take it elsewhere. Start a yahoo or google group.

Stuff for sale or something you're looking to buy? Post stuff for sale in the FOR SALE section and stuff you want to buy in your signature.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
Why is an American worried about what goes on in a Canadian sub forum?
Because the post pollution shows up when I use the New Posts link in the blue toolbar.

Because I don't just restrict myself to browsing my own regional subforum.

Because I think TDIClub should be about TDIs and related discussions only... which is why I'm especially glad we don't have a "General" or "Off Topic" forum. But your beloved Ontario subforum seems to be about as close as it gets, and with explicit permission from the moderators.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
Because the post pollution shows up when I use the New Posts link in the blue toolbar.
Because I don't just restrict myself to browsing my own regional subforum.
Because I think TDIClub should be about TDIs and related discussions only... which is why I'm especially glad we don't have a "General" or "Off Topic" forum. But your beloved Ontario subforum seems to be about as close as it gets, and with explicit permission from the moderators.
You can leave anytime :) I'm sure you won't be missed.

Left Coast Resident

Ubẽr Clubbie
TDI
2001, 2002 & 2003 Jettas
LOL. The Ontario forum is more about a community of TDI owners, hence the off-topic but related banter. We are not forcing anyone to read it.
I feel like you are forcing me to read it. And here are my rants:

1) Why isn't there a strong sense of community in the other regional groups? I feel left out, and I blame you guys with a strong sense of community for sucking it out of the rest of us.

2) Why is this thread only 5 pages long? It's cool enough it should be longer. Again, I blame you guys. A real thread would be like this one: http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=428585

It's 2800+ pages long and going strong . . .

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
LOL. The Ontario forum is more about a community of TDI owners, hence the off-topic but related banter. We are not forcing anyone to read it.

X2 the out of Ontario population is jealous of what we have...

Isn't scurvy a bone disease anyway? 2ManyKmfor1Tank says, "Say NO to Scurvy" lol ;p

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
Here's my rant - why is the Ontario subforum polluted with 99% off topic, chat, for sale or WTB threads?

Off topic / chat = take it elsewhere. Start a yahoo or google group.

Stuff for sale or something you're looking to buy? Post stuff for sale in the FOR SALE section and stuff you want to buy in your signature.

Ontario
Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
It is sure a lot easier to sell/buy and find stuff you're looking for in a specific area of the country. We up here in Canada get JACKED when it comes to shipping, maybe you don't realize this, Scurvy but that forces a lot of people to 'buy local' hence all the local advertising here.

scurvy

Good Ol' Boy
TDI
2006 Golf
You can leave anytime :) I'm sure you won't be missed.
Planning on staying as long as I have a TDI, thanks. You are free to ignore anyone you like if you find their posts offensive, though. Smooches!

I'd also like to ask Wingnut to enforce his own rule in post #1 of this thread as I don't appreciate the personal attacks.

As long as your 'community' posts show up in New Posts, you are, in a way, forcing others to wade through them. LCR apparently also feels the same way...

I feel like you are forcing me to read it.
I completely agree
Again, if you don't like my posts then put me on your ignore list.

X2 the out of Ontario population is jealous of what we have...
I am not jealous of the Ontario subforum in any way.

I do quite like your poutine, clean cities, typically friendly residents, natural beauty, industrious workforce & comedic entertainers.

LOL @ complaining about off-topic forum banter on the internet.
There's a reason why TDIClub doesn't have an off-topic subforum.

It is sure a lot easier to sell/buy and find stuff you're looking for in a specific area of the country. We up here in Canada get JACKED when it comes to shipping, maybe you don't realize this, Scurvy but that forces a lot of people to 'buy local' hence all the local advertising here.
I've been to Canada (mostly Ontario) several times and I do realize that your baseline prices are higher, shipping can be exorbitant and GST/HST doesn't help either... especially with our currencies being at or near parity. But there's already a Wanted/For Sale forum section for both parts and cars.

It would be a lot easier for me just to post the stuff I'm cleaning out of my garage in the Midwest forum (especially since most of it was local pickup only) but it gets much higher visibility in the existing W/FS forum.

TDI73

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI
I'd like to clarify my previous post - to me, it seems that the Ontario subforum is defined as a place for Local discussions for those in the Ontario, Canada area.
Why would a post about driving experience in Ontario be off topic?

Also, New Posts link is just a shortcut to a search function for all new posts in all of the forums.
It provides a list of topics, does not force you to actually open any of them. :confused:

http://forums.tdiclub.com/search.php?do=getnew

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
Planning on staying as long as I have a TDI, thanks. You are free to ignore anyone you like if you find their posts offensive, though. Smooches!
Just like you are free to ignore post titles that you are not interested in. I just clicked the 'NEW POST' link in the blue bar. The very first post was a question about a B5 coolant sensor. I don't own a B5, so would have very little interest in reading that thread....skip to the next. A few more threads down, a question about NY State TDI inspections. Again, irrelevant to 99% of the people on this forum....skip to the next.

The bottom line is you can choose whether you want to click it or not. If it doesn't interest you, move on. It seems as though you were interested (that's why you clicked) and came in here just to stir the pot.

I'd also like to ask Wingnut to enforce his own rule in post #1 of this thread as I don't appreciate the personal attacks.
While I agree 100% with that statement, I didn't see anyone attacking you, calling you a name, spreading false information about you, etc. You were invited to leave. That's all. I didn't agree with it. I don't like to see people talk that way, but it was not an attack. If someone does do something inappropriate, report it and i will deal with it.

As long as your 'community' posts show up in New Posts, you are, in a way, forcing others to wade through them. LCR apparently also feels the same way...
You are not being forced to wade through threads....only titles (ONE LINE). Do you click on every single thread in the list? if there is a question about a car you do not own, or a question about a part of the country you do not live in, do you click on it or move to the next title? Different titles interest different people. You have the choice to skip past thread titles you do not want to have to 'wade through'.

Again, if you don't like my posts then put me on your ignore list.
Again, if you are not interested in a topic, skip past it.

I've been to Canada (mostly Ontario) several times and I do realize that your baseline prices are higher, shipping can be exorbitant and GST/HST doesn't help either... especially with our currencies being at or near parity. But there's already a Wanted/For Sale forum section for both parts and cars.
I do not want to compare TDI club to Vortex, but they have region specific for sale sections. Heck, they have regional, parts type, body type, etc. sections. A total of 40 sections, and some of them have sub sections. There are hundreds of specific sections just for classifieds. Granted, the Vortex is much larger in membership, but TDI Club has grown quite large in the last decade and perhaps there should be some changes to how we post for sale items. I see no reason why we can't add them to the regional sections?

It would be a lot easier for me just to post the stuff I'm cleaning out of my garage in the Midwest forum (especially since most of it was local pickup only) but it gets much higher visibility in the existing W/FS forum.
You are absolutely correct. It does get much more visibility in the general FS section. And if you are willing to ship items, then that would be the place to put it. But if you are selling something too large, heavy or bulky to ship, why not be allowed to post it in the local section? I allow it in the Ontario forum because it makes sense. If your moderator does not allow it, perhaps we can start some dialogue on the subject and figure something out. I will propose a change to the current rule of 'No posting for sale items outside of the classifieds' to include 'classifieds and regional forums'.

It has been a long time since the forum went through a re-org. With the increased membership we now have, perhaps we can make a few changes. I would prefer not to add a whole bunch of more forums. The Vortex has WAY too many and its difficult to navigate through. But allowing people to post LOCAL for sale item in their LOCAL forum is just common sense to me. It will be seen by lots of people regardless of where it is. If they don't see it on the New posts list, they will find it if they are searching for a particular part.

BTW, regardless of which forum the thread is being posted, it will still come up on the New posts list. So if someone in Ontario is selling an item and lists it in the Classifieds forum, as you are suggesting, instead of in the regional section, it will still show up on your new posts list and you will still have to 'wade through it'. Where it is being posted will not solve your problem of having to decide whether to skip past it or not.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Strikes me that this sticky has only been available for a few days. seems a lot of posts and views for a few days.
It's functionality will serve well, also...especially for cynical opinionated crusty old codgers like me who spend 13 hours a day out there enabling everyone else to piss me off.

LNXGUY

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Jetta TDI Wagon
My apologies if I offended anyone, I personally thought it was a little off-putting that someone that doesn't add or contribute anything to the Ontario forum has the stones to come in here and complain about it.

I do apologize on behalf of the Ontario forum if your browsing experience has somehow been tainted by such an active sub forum. We will work more diligently in the future to hopefully improve this experience for you.

:)

petea4

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Golf GLS
I like posting FS in the local section because I end up giving away my stuff for almost nothing to the locals. More often that not, coffee or beers are the dealmakers.

Good times.

Rant? The puddle of diesel on the ground at some stations right in front of the pump.

mecne

Veteran Member
TDI
15 Jetta TDI
Wet diesel handles.....ugh.
Ya *** .. some stations are so brutal .. do guys just keep spraying fuel after they filled up the tank.
Our local station in Brighton at No Frills is a few years old .. the diesel pump was great and clean for the longest time , but now it's a disgusting mess .

Another bad one was the west bound 401 service center at Newcastle , they recently replaced all the pumps thou..

On the station owners side , Is it that hard to keep the pumps clean?

Status
Not open for further replies.