Daily RANT thread - Ontario

Status
Not open for further replies.

Paulinski

Veteran Member
TDI
09 Jetta Wagon Highline
From the spec
Last Thursday, one of the company's dump trucks was driving on the Toronto-bound QEW when the truck's raised box smashed into an overhead truss and construction scaffolding on the Skyway, five metres above the road.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 M-B ML320 Diesel & '05 Passat TDI Manual 5-Speed
See the piece of large structural beam in the right top corner of the picture. Have a look at other pictures that show the bridge from the top and you'll see how that structural beam was cut in half first. The scafolding has little structural strenght when it comes to a large mass ploughing into it.

I'm in the traffic field too and everyone with a driver's licence thinks they are traffic experts. It's human nature. Some in the trades field have the same midset and that's fine. The engineers design it and the trades guys build it, its a team effort and works well if everone does whay they supposed to.

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Same apples to truckers hogging the centre lane for no reason with no other traffic around them, forced to go around either side causing congestion and potential accident .

Sent from my Current time and location
Just glad I don't drive fuel and in the city anymore. 5 months ago this post would have sent off the walls. :)

OhMagoo

Veteran Member
TDI
'05 Jetta, '05 Passat
Add Camrys to the list as well.
I think some of the car companies have started to mandate profile and aptitude tests before you're allowed to purchase one of their vehicles.

(magoo, self...ya butt is gonna get in trouble here)

Mercedes drivers... self righteous entitlement exam
BMW....anal retentive impatient sense of entitlement
Toyota...oblivion combined with little common sense
Honda...seems starting with the CRV they have copied the Toyota tests

Little Joe

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta HL
The engineers design it and the trades guys build it, its a team effort and works well if everone does whay they supposed to.[/QUOTE]

Almost spit my coffee on the keyboard:D. If the engineers who design it actually had to come up through the ranks where they had to build it first there A LOT less drama getting to an acceptable end product.

The BEST engineers (and they are few a far between) will take into consideration the experience and opinions of skilled trades and work together for a final solution:cool:

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
So, a couple of years ago, I gave a member a head. To my recollection it was functional, as I recall taking it off an engine that was running.
Few months ago, I had to look deep into the bowels of the thousands of messages I've sent and received over that period and lucky me, I figured out who he was and sent him a text. He had been planning on getting it rebuilt by a guy he knew, and I was to get the head from his car, it also being functional.
The other day, another member had a head mishap, so I got ahold of the guy with my head and am getting ready to pick it up.
Couldn't make it today, but during our text conversation, he now says the head is bad and can see broken cam followers.
That's great. So am assuming he used it on his own car and I'm getting his bad head back.
To top it off, had I not found his number I'd have never heard from him again.
I can't recall his user name on here or I'd post it.

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
He is on the hook for a good used head or to pay you for one (including HST). If he tries tonweezel his way out of this, post his name. I hate people that take advantage of other's generosity. I said tgis before, Aaron you are way too nice of a guy for your own good.

2ManyKMfor1Tank

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Jetta
He is on the hook for a good used head or to pay you for one (including HST). If he tries tonweezel his way out of this, post his name. I hate people that take advantage of other's generosity. I said tgis before, Aaron you are way too nice of a guy for your own good.
What I'm going to do in the future is get a log book and take pictures and keep everything in a file on my computer so I can keep track of stuff like this. Sad to have to do it, but as I get older my memory isn't what it used to be lol.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Speed limit is 100km/h
I had a co-worker that thought that way. You also do not have the legal right to enforce traffic laws.

In fact, it is illegal to drive in the left lane of any 400 series highway except to pass. I know I read that somewhere...and not on a forum.

You'd never survive on the autobahn in Germany where by the way, they have less fatalities than we do. Source: factual paper on international traffic fatalities.

JASONP

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI Comfortline 6spd
I had a co-worker that thought that way. You also do not have the legal right to enforce traffic laws.

In fact, it is illegal to drive in the left lane of any 400 series highway except to pass. I know I read that somewhere...and not on a forum.

You'd never survive on the autobahn in Germany where by the way, they have less fatalities than we do. Source: factual paper on international traffic fatalities.
It's also illegal to pass on the right as well but that doesn't stop morons from weaving in and out of blind spots especially around semis

Sent from my SM-G900W8 using Tapatalk

BuzzKen

Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
'10 Touareg TDI, '09 335D, '10 X5D

++++++1. Pull that crap in Europe and it is inevitable you will be hit or your license revoked on the side of the road. I loved driving overseas, drive like a dikwad and you won't be driving. When you see an A8 coming up behind you at 250+, I'm pretty damn sure you will move the F over real quick. And sure, if you feel like sitting in the left lane of the 407 at 100km/h, I hope you like soot.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Anyways, my turn...

• left lane dreamers, and by the way, that even though I pretty well do the speed limit. Make your pass and move over!
  • drivers who take forever to pass.
  • tinted driver and passenger side windows which are illegal unless clear.
  • licence plate covers which are also illegal.
  • faded or rusted licence plates.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
It's also illegal to pass on the right as well but that doesn't stop morons from weaving in and out of blind spots especially around semis.
Same in Germany where passing on the right is illegal and carries a huge fine.

But then you don't need to pass on the right there. 99.9% of drivers there know what the left lane is for.

It was worse back in the mid 90s when we had a lot of eastern block cars on the autobahns, but they have figured it out since. Two other plates that stand out were NL and B...but they are far better now.

I wish our driver's manual was like the one in Germany. Ours in comparison looks like a comic book. I'd like to know all the road rules...I always have in the flying business.

VR6ix

Veteran Member
TDI
WVW-W 2dr ALH

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None

steve6

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta tdi
In driver training years ago they told us the lines are just a guide, its not illegal to cross them to pass.

Wingnut

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Silver 2003 Jetta Wagon
What about passing on the shoulder (paved or gravel) on a single lane highway. I heard it is illegal, yet everybody does it.

Here is another one. Passing on a double yellow line. A police officer once told me it is legal, but you are at fault should there be an accident.
You are correct, no passing on the shoulder as per section 150-2:

Passing to right of vehicle
150. (1) The driver of a motor vehicle may overtake and pass to the right of another vehicle only where the movement can be made in safety and,

(a) the vehicle overtaken is making or about to make a left turn or its driver has signalled his or her intention to make a left turn;

(b) is made on a highway with unobstructed pavement of sufficient width for two or more lines of vehicles in each direction; or

(c) is made on a highway designated for the use of one-way traffic only. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (1).

Driving off roadway prohibited
150. (2) No driver of a motor vehicle shall overtake and pass another vehicle by driving off the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (2).

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
You are correct, no passing on the shoulder as per section 150-2:

Driving off roadway prohibited
150. (2) No driver of a motor vehicle shall overtake and pass another vehicle by driving off the roadway. R.S.O. 1990, c. H.8, s. 150 (2).
What do they define as a "roadway"? Pavement? If the shoulder is paved, is that part of the roadway? Or do they define it as the paved portion between the center (or left on a multi-laner) and right painted lines.

Just asking.

VR6ix

Veteran Member
TDI
WVW-W 2dr ALH
What do they define as a "roadway"? Pavement? If the shoulder is paved, is that part of the roadway? Or do they define it as the paved portion between the center (or left on a multi-laner) and right painted lines.

Just asking.
“roadway” means the part of the highway that is improved, designed or ordinarily used for vehicular traffic, but does not include the shoulder, and, where a highway includes two or more separate roadways, the term “roadway” refers to any one roadway separately and not to all of the roadways collectively;
It's in all the definitions listed after the table of contents :)

imo000

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Everyone should read the HTA to get an idea what is and isn't alowed. Most people have no idea pavement markings are not enforcable. Traffic signs on the other hand are. U turn are allowed unles itnis signed otherwise and has a valid by-law for it. There are a bunch of other ones that urban legend tells otherwise. There is an entire section on what a mechanic needs to look for when conducting ansafety inspection. It's scarry how little is needed to pass it.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Everyone should read the HTA to get an idea what is and isn't allowed.
I'd like to know why most of it isn't in the Ontario Driver's Handbook, the one used for getting a driver's licence.

As I mentioned a few posts up our handbook looks like a comic book in comparison to the one I saw in Germany a couple of years ago.

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Don't you just love inbred idiots like this. They knew enough to get a new sticker good till Feb 2016. Hard to read the plate though (857 EWN).

Last edited:

rwolff

Veteran Member
TDI
None yet
I used to LOVE seeing this in my old mk3 Golf. I would park as close as humanly possible to their driver door, forcing them to crawl through the passenger side.
Bonus points if someone else gets ticked off at the "I need 4 spaces to park my car" guy and does the same on his passenger side.

almost makes me want to go out and buy an old Plymouth Fury ex-cop car with the 'push bars' and the six-pack 440, and do some 'pushing' if y'all know what I mean. in that bedliner black those guys are so fond of 'painting' those cars. :D
Don't take halfway measures - get a 379 Pete with a moose bumper.

I basically paid $100 for a Drive Clean pass on a car with NO PROBLEMS. \/\/TF Drive Clean...really??
It's only meant to drive all the money out of your wallet...
They use the short form of "Driver's wallet clean" when talking about it.

Firstly...$240.00 for an oil/filter change including 3 liters of synth oil. That's double what the VW dealers want. Oh sorry, they topped up the windshield fluid too...it holds just over a liter of fluid. (insert serious face palm here)
That's more than what one of my oil changes costs - and my crankcase holds 10 GALLONS of 15W40 CJ-4.

VR6ix

Veteran Member
TDI
WVW-W 2dr ALH
Oh $#!T it snowed again...

Oh sweet Jesus Farking Christmas! Tis the season for idiot drivers on all-season tires!!!

Let's skip the idea of making winter tires mandatory in Ontario and move right into a 2-tierd driver & vehicle licensing system: everyone/everything qualifies for Spring/Summer/Fall, but if you want to drive in Winter each driver must pass "special" vehicle control tests and your vehicle must be inspected/equipped/plated to match. Ma$$ive fines for infractions & instantly at-fault for insurance. Doubt it would work in the end...

For the Cambridge locals, there was a LINE UP of morons on Cheese Factory Road at Maple Manor Road both South-bound down the hill and West-bound up Maple Manor because of idiots that couldn't drive it. Yet I managed 80-90-100kph on the rest of my back-roads drive to Woodstock without incident, albeit once the snow died-down and visibility recovered. Still... and it's only November?!?!?

I can't wait to get a proper Quattro TDI daily driver... end rant! Golly I need a Pilsner... :)

993er

Veteran Member
TDI
None
Saw some smart person quadruple parking in a shopping centre parking lot.
People always do things for a reason.

When people learn how to open their doors without hitting the door of the next car, taking the above action would never be necessary. That driver just got fed up of it happening.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
I guess it's the good part about having an 06. I lost count of all the door dings. (It doesn't help that my space at my condo building is next to the "Deliveries Only" space...) Thankfully, the plastic door moulding has taken the majority of them.

nkgagne

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Sportwagen 6M, 2006 Golf GLS TDI (sold)
My rant today: How stupid do you have to be to drive with headlights off in the dark in a snowstorm?! It's November, dammit. On a good day, there's a solid 2h maybe where it's ok to have headlights off... Just turn the damn lights on and leave them on 24/7 until like April.

Status
Not open for further replies.