What model would you prefer?

• Pro VW?

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Pro diesel?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters

debensey

Veteran Member
Let me put the question this way. If no diesels were available, would you still buy a VW? If many diesels were available that met your needs would you buy something other than a VW?

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Ouch VW! Shows that it isn't really the car dosen't it. It's the engine.

AutoDiesel

Veteran Member
2006/2007 Ford F150 V6 diesel.
30mpg. Next new vehicle.

If VW builds a factory here and starts building a full-size 1/2 ton pick-up I might consider them again.

When is that going to happen?

Anyone?

philh

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta Wagon
I guess I'm one of the 4. Of the 6 cars I've bought over the last 7 years, all but one ('82 GMC diesel) were Volkswagens.

wny_pat

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2002 Jetta TDI
Ouch VW! But, I do like the way the VW handles and rides. Tight solid vehicle. If it had not been for the <font color="red">TDI </font> I may have not came back. It is much better than the Rabbit Diesels with the "blow-by". But the computer and electronics leaves much to be desired. Keep it simple!!!

MrMopar

Top Post Dawg
TDI
none
if the Audi A4 has diesel models, I might consider buying audi because it's diesel AND AWD, since I live with quite severe winter season
I don't have severe winter weather except maybe once every few years, but I still would like an AWD vehicle. I personally would like to see Subaru offer a diesel engine in many of their models. Subaru does great things with their flat 4 and flat 6 engines, and I think a diesel in either configuration (preferably both, for a choice in power levels) would do great for their sales.

Ernie Rogers

Veteran Member
TDI
Beetle, 2003, silver
Hi, I'm not sure this survey proves anything. We love the TDI engine. But, that engine was developed by VW. Where would we be without them? --Pretty scary. This shows how fragile history is. Anyone can change it by his actions or lack thereof.

Ernie

BeetleGo

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
5-door, 5-speed Golf GLS replaced BeetleGo.
Ernie, there are so many OTHER totally advanced turbodiesels running around the streets of Europe right this very minute - and they compete head on with the TDI - that there certainly isn't any reason to look to Volkswagen alone to fulfill your performance efficiency needs.

Alfa Romeo or a BMW, or a Mercedes, or a SAAB, or an Opel, or a Honda, or an Acura, or a Toyota, or a Nissan, or a Ford, or a Citroen, or a Renault, or a FIAT, or a Mazda, or a Mitsubishi, or a... (what?!) Jaguar pretty much all compete and compete WELL with VW abroad. The fact is, we are limited in North America to mid-to-late 90's designs that will run on rot gut high sulfur minimally processed petrodiesel. Until that changes later this decade the only affordable diesels are still all VW, so at some level you have a point - but the survey definitely suggests that current owners are way woo-able to other brands. And after '06 all bets are off. For all the people who choose 'diesel' there will most likely be alternatives when it comes time to trade, by competitors who have taken a very close look at how VW's look and feel.

I'm not knocking VW's particularly. I really LIKE mine. But VWoA has a history of making their user-base go through an awful lot of MAF, Relay109, ignition coil, windows falling, intake cloggging HELL before they (sometimes kicking and screaming) take care of the people who have already plunked down da moola.

That's not to say that the cars they produce are worthless. But customer satisfaction scores are EVERYTHING after the sale. Repeat ownership is seriously limited by the potential competition like - oh say Lexus, who get it right on the money with the 'ownership experience.'

I would have voted 'both' if there had been a choice. But it was an either/or proposition, so I picked 'diesel.'

<I shall now step down off my soapbox>

BeetleGo (sorry, kinda crabby)

03GolfTDI

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 JSW DSG and '11 JSW DSG
I am pro-VW, I was originally going to get a gasser. The TDI is just a side perk.

I am pro-VW just because the MKIV platform has great value. Feature content, interior quality, safety, warranty, etc. all were much better then cars costing what my Golf cost....same thing with the Jetta.

PlatinumGLS

Veteran Member
I would have to say that I am pro-diesel. The only VW gasser I'd buy would be the R32...but I'm trying to talk my girlfriend into buying that so I won't have to...I'll just drive hers

I don't usually like Asian cars but the Acura TSX (European Accord) would look really nice in my driveway...especially with Honda's wonderful diesel engine

progolfer_20

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sedan
I'm a Pro-Diesel, if there were some BMW or Audi diesels I would be driving one of those. I cant wait to get a BMW 330D. That car would be awesome to drive.

lofranco

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SEL TDI
I'm pro VW. I originaly wanted a 1.8 Golf gls 4dr. They only sold them for a year or so and impossible to find used. So I got the TDI. I've always loved the Golf. Ever since I saw a MkII GTI as a kid. This is my 2nd and not last VW. Although if VW doesn't sell the Toureg in the 2.5 I5TDI I'll go Jeep Liberty.
Matt

03_01_TDI

Banned
TDI
Na
I like the TDI engine. Though I have NOTHING else to compare it to. Since its basically the only diesel sold in the US.

My vote - pro diesel.

The new Honda will draw alot of new diesel fans. I just hope that Honda trains its techs before they start to service the car. After having owned an Insight the dealership are way behind on tech service.

Philip

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta Wagon, 2004, Grey
i want a toyota or honda diesel

VW is nice but not very reliable and $$$ to fix, and generally $$$. they are abit over priced.

toyota where are the diesels???????

thruxton900

TDI
03 GLS wagon + 04 GLS sedan
We had a house full of Mercedes-Benz diesels for the past 20 years, but after the last one got totalled I switched to VW.

reflextdi

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 Jetta GL TDI - reflex silver
Had to vote "pro VW". Much more fun to drive than the Sherman-Tank-on-bedsprings I used to have (Ford Explorer). In 23k, never needed anything except a new CD player which was bad when I got it. Can't say the same for most other cars I've had!

koshkadrook

VW better pay attention to that survey, 80% really just
want the diesel and they don't have loyalty to VW.

I have never owned a VW. I'd be willing to, although
they seem kind of high-maintenance or too intricate.
For example why not simplify the diesel so it does not
require a turbo. A lot of the cloth on the interior of
a VW seems thin and therefore vulnerable to damage.
It generally seems like a car that will deteriorate quicker
than others.

Toyota cars seem to have a great longevity to them. Toyota
is careful to use all the best materials for each part.
Example, my '92 Corolla is still running on all original
coolant hoses. Try that with a Buick, ha !

I don't like styling of cars anymore, it is dull and boring.
However, VW styling I like. THEREFORE I want a Toyota car
that looks like a VW, with a VW diesel under the hood,
and gets 60 mpg !!

Generally I want higher mpg than what's in the present
VW product line. To heck with 46 mpg, whats so great about
that if you can have 60 mpg.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
I would have voted both, but voted pro Diesel. I want a longer jetta Wagon (6 inches more rear leg room and 6 inches more cargo area please), not a passat. I really like the styling of the Jetta wagon though. My first car was a Scirocco and was great concidering the abuse it went through. I like VW for sure, but if someone came out with a small sized Diesel pickup (80's ranger size) with 4 wheel drive I would be really interested in it.

-Jack

shalwechat

Veteran Member
TDI
havent decided to buy a 04 golf, 04 jetta, or a 04 passat! but i cant bring myself to making car payments!
wow, a nice wide selection of new tdi engines. i really hope that these will make it to north american market.

i am more pro-diesel than pro vw. i think that vw are overall wel built cars, they seem to have a few annoying bugs though.

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
I would have voted both if I could. I've never owned a car not made by VW, Audi, or Porsche. My current B4 TDI is my seventh car. I don't have a reason to buy any other brand.

My first car was an '86 GTI. I bought it with about 285k miles on it. I drove it like a madman as all punk 17 year old males probably would have. Regularly revved it to redline before shifting, did burnouts, upgraded the suspension and flew through the turns. That car would top out at 114 miles per hour on a flat road with no hills.

Anyhow, I sold that GTI with 330k miles on it. It never had any sort of major problem despite my abusive driving and it's high milage. Sure, door handles went bad, and other little quirks, but nothing that a minimum-wage 17 year old couldn't deal with.

Properly maintained, I'm convinced these cars will last forever. My current B4 TDI is my first diesel. I now have a job where I drive about 35k miles per year, and I was paying several hundred bucks a month for gas. That's when I discovered the beauty of the TDI. I would jump on an Audi A4 Avant TDI quattro with a six speed manual (Audi? Are you listening??). Until that's available in the US though, I'll stick with my VW's.

Volkswagen? or Diesel?

I say Both.

Toronto_Vento

Top Post Dawg
TDI
01 Baltic Green Bora
I agree that I would vote a little of both, but I voted diesel over VW. First, I agree that there are many loyal VW owners out there, but it also seems that as time goes on, VWs are pricing themselves out of the 'people's car' market, and their quality isn't on par with a lot of other companies.

True, the ride is better than a number of domestic and import cars, etc...but I am sure diesel will pick up if people like Honda and Toyota would bring out their own diesel vehicles. Then people will be able to drive a brand that they trust, and have the benefits of diesel.

ujaku

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 VW GTI, no more TDI for me
for now, more pro-Diesel than pro-VW...not that I have anything against VW (only their dealerships!), but you can't help getting caught up in the "grass is always greener" cliche when you read stuff about Honda's Diesel, the new Benz CDI, etc. and all the cool Diesel engines they get overseas.

I'm more excited about what new Diesels that hopefully will be offered in a few years here in the states. BMW? Audi? hell, I'd even buy one of the gas-powered 3-cylinder Smart roadster/coupes if they would bring the damn things over! wahhhhh!

cage

Top Post Dawg
BOTH! I heard that VW was comming out with a New Beetle and went crazy and had to have one. I ordered it before they were available and before I ever saw one in person. When I heard that they would be available in diesel I became interested. EVERYONE said "you don't want a diesel" I always heard that German diesels lasted forever and since I wanted this car to last forever I test drove a Jetta. I thought is was completely "livable" as I only drove it and listened to noise and saw that yeah the engine pulls the car. Now that I have owned my TDI Beetle for 6 years I am totally in love with both the car and the engine. Is either "perfect" no but then I drive in other peoples cars and realize again why I love mine so much. It is the perfect balance of everything I need. Power, economy, comfort, quiet, handling, room, and style. It works better as a complete package than any other car I can think of.

Drewser

Veteran Member
TDI
'04 Jetta TDI Wagon, '04 Passat TDI, '03 Jetta TDI Wagon, several more in past
I've gotta go pro-diesel. I drove a little diesel Renault in France a month or two ago and it felt a whole lot like my '02 Jetta TDI...liked it a lot. As a sidenote, I was a big fan of the credit-card style ignition key, too. It was fun to see the huge variety of diesel's over in Europe...As much as I love my Jetta, I would definitely shop around if more diesels were available here in the US.

Kiwi_ME

Veteran Member
TDI
'18 Kona EV, ex '03 Golf TDI, '82 Rabbit Diesel
Certainly the VW has a lot of personality aside from good styling, but from a design and production engineering point of view I think they are lagging. The soft handling and soft seats are out of balance with what I've always expected from German cars. The symphony of rattles in my Golf is not acceptable for a 2003 car, and the generally intrusive engine noise is louder than an Opel diesel I drove in the early 90's in the UK. And lastly the spastic automatic transmission shifting makes me think they had the summer engineering intern design the firmware.
Certainly the individual components of the VW are of high quality, it's just that in my view the overall vehicle does not equate to more than the sum of those.

debensey

Veteran Member
VW better pay attention to that survey, 80% really just
want the diesel and they don't have loyalty to VW.

I have never owned a VW. I'd be willing to, although
they seem kind of high-maintenance or too intricate.
For example why not simplify the diesel so it does not
require a turbo. A lot of the cloth on the interior of
a VW seems thin and therefore vulnerable to damage.
It generally seems like a car that will deteriorate quicker
than others.

Toyota cars seem to have a great longevity to them. Toyota
is careful to use all the best materials for each part.
Example, my '92 Corolla is still running on all original
coolant hoses. Try that with a Buick, ha !

I don't like styling of cars anymore, it is dull and boring.
However, VW styling I like. THEREFORE I want a Toyota car
that looks like a VW, with a VW diesel under the hood,
and gets 60 mpg !!

Generally I want higher mpg than what's in the present
VW product line. To heck with 46 mpg, whats so great about
that if you can have 60 mpg.

I started this thing, but I haven't yet expressed my opinion. One thing should be said. If you want a small or medium sized car with a diesel, you're going to need a turbo unless you don't mind sluggish performance. The only alternative is to have a really big engine. When Toyoto's diesel cars come to NA, they will have turbos.