Found my Passat Replacement

rustycat

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 passat sel
Only time will tell if buying a 2015 is a mistake or not. It all depends on vehicle reliability and how competently Volkswagen handles any necessary warranty repairs. Based on their track record over the past couple of decades, I don't have high expectations.

Time will tell, but I think taking a look-back over the last 2 decades is looking in the wrong time frame. Remember in 2013 when VW USA established a $1 million dollar fund to reimburse owners that had been felt wronged or incurred unexpected expenses due to mechanical failure. I believe that sense of accomodation is still very much in play with VW, as they try and claw back from the scandal. I don't think I'm mis-stating things to say their policy of warranty repairs exceeding 3 hours need to have a replacement courtesy car available, and remember the wording in the 11 year 162K mile warranty that if a customer feels and item should be covered and VW does not, VW must accomodate the dispute and side with the owner's claim.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Time will tell, but I think taking a look-back over the last 2 decades is looking in the wrong time frame. <snip>
I like your optimism, really I do. But it will take more than this to put us into another VW when we turn our Passat in next year. But— we've still got a year and a half, and a lot can happen.

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
RIP 2012 Passat SE 6 spd MT
In my quest for a Passat replacement, I was down to either a Fusion hybrid or a Mazda6, leaning towards the later. The dealer was nice enough to let me drive the Mazda for a day. I put 100 miles on it and also I had my wife test ride/drive it. Unlike the first test drive, we took it on some rough freeway pavement at 80 mph. The noise and ride became a significant negative at that point, worse than the Passat and much worse than the Fusion. She and I both thought the seats became a little uncomfortable after 40-50 miles. Also, not nearly the rear seat leg room as the Passat, and a little less than the Fusion. I did get high 30's for mileage on a freeway trip varying from 55 - 70mph. That part was impressive.

I told her whatever we get, I wanted to make sure she was totally good about jumping in it for our longer trips. She said she could live with the Mazda if I really wanted it, but she liked the Fusion much better. She said the Mazda felt a lot like riding in my (the shame) 2005 Corrola, which I just sold. I have to agree somewhat with her on that. I did like the Bose stereo better than the Fusion's Sony, and the Audi-like master control knob in front of the center armrest is awesome, but in the end I put a pretty high priority on a quiet, firm-but-not harsh ride, and the Fusion struck the right balance for me during the 350 miles we put on the rental. One takeaway - put a lot of miles on your next ride before you decide.

A last comment on the Mazda. I have a freeway cloverleaf where I had routinely pushed the Passat hard. Passat had 110,000 miles with newer Blisten OEM-grade shocks, all else totally stock. The Mazda had only 13,000 miles. NO COMPARISON!! The Passat literally AMAZED me with the lack of lean, steady tracking, and feeling of control. The Mazda... I had to do a jerky steering correction immediately, and the tires squealed lightly as I pushed it. Based on that, I believe the reported "great handling" of the Mazda is overrated at the extremes. Never pushed the Fusion that hard, so not sure how it will stack up. I am guessing it won't match the Passat.

So, Fusion hybrid it is. I have one last TDI (a flipper) to turn in on August 1, and then I'm afraid that is it for me with VW, diesels, and most likely with this forum. The Fusion forum seems lame... sniff.

Last edited:

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Sportwagen (boughtback); 2014 Passat TDI SEL (boughtback)
Trade Wind: You want "lame"? Visit the Avalon Hybrid forum. Admittedly, not a huge number of vehicles, and fewer still enthusiasts. The site can go weeks w/o a single posting or update. Why? Hmm...maybe simply because the cars just don't have any issues to discuss. Also, most here would say, "lame car owned by lame drivers." HAHA!

For anyone interested in the first leg of my 4k mile summer road trip, DFW-Wash. DC:

Tank 1: 43.4mpg
Tank 2: 42.1mpg

...cruise control set at 72mph, fully loaded trunk and back seat, driver only. Several sustained full-throttle bursts on/off highway, passing.

FYI, both my 2012 and 2014 NMS Passat TDISELs, same highways, returned 45-47MPGs. range.

Now, about the porpoising suspension...still working on finding a solution for that, although the softer suspension makes concrete expansions much more tolerable.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Trade Wind: You want "lame"? Visit the Avalon Hybrid forum. Admittedly, not a huge number of vehicles, and fewer still enthusiasts. The site can go weeks w/o a single posting or update. Why? Hmm...maybe simply because the cars just don't have any issues to discuss. Also, most here would say, "lame car owned by lame drivers." HAHA!
Ha! Perhaps similar to Volvo forums measuring maintenance and repairs by number of trips to Starbucks.

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
Price is a very big deal, true. That being said, it's not clear whether we can be happy in a gas Passat. We'll test drive both the 1.8 TSI and the VR6, since I'm not sure the 1.8 can deliver the performance we're used to in the TDI.
Keep in mind rumor of EA888 2.0TSI coming to 2018 Passat, with mild increase in HP, torque, MPG. This puts me on the fence for a 2017, but time to investigate the Fusion hybrid.

(source: http://blog.caranddriver.com/b-squad-volkswagen-tiguan-passat-and-beetle-welcome-new-base-engine/)

Last edited:

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
I decided I want the highest level of trim in the Fusion, so that limits me to either the 2.0 eco-boost or the hybrid (the manual is tempting... but it's probably time to have a car my wife and daughter will drive). The math, over the 160,000 miles which I expect to keep the car, says it's about a $5000 fuel savings - hybrid to 2.0. The premium on a used 2014 or 2015 hybrid is about $2000, so seems like I would have some money left over for hybrid repairs and probably still come out ahead. So I am leaning heavily towards the Hybrid. Thoughts?

Oh by the way I heard stay away from the 2013 Fusion. First year of redesign and some problems. Consumer reports says don't buy any 2013 Fusion. Fusion forum says a lot of 2013 problems.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
Keep in mind rumor of EA888 2.0TSI coming to 2018 Passat, with mild increase in HP, torque, MPG. This puts me on the fence for a 2017, but time to investigate the Fusion hybrid.

(source: http://blog.caranddriver.com/b-squad-volkswagen-tiguan-passat-and-beetle-welcome-new-base-engine/)
Thanks for the link; this is certainly good news, as a new gas Passat will certainly be in the running when we turn in this TDI Passat next year. The Fusion will almost certainly get a drive, too. A neighbor is really hot on the Volvos, but as the s90 or v90 would be the only contenders size-wise, I doubt we would be able to stomach the price tags.

dbias

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Passat SE w sunroof buyback 3/18/17
My replacement for my Tdi is an 2017 Audi A4 Quattro that has the EA888 GEN 3 engine and I absolutely love it. For a 4 cylinder engine it is pretty impressive and has both direct and port injection. 252 hp and 273 torque and even though Audi says 31 mpg highway I get 34 to 35 hand calculated tanks in tank out with about 75/25 highway/city. To get up and go like it does and handle so well I find myself finding ways to get in it and drive and I haven't felt that way about a vehicle since the late 80's.
http://www.caranddriver.com/reviews/2017-audi-a4-in-depth-model-review

Last edited:

MyAvocation

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2017 Passat SEL TSI
My replacement for my Tdi is an 2017 Audi A4 Quattro that has the EA888 GEN 3 engine and I absolutely love it. For a 4 cylinder engine it is pretty impressive and has both direct and port injection. 252 hp and 273 torque...
Per the article, no hp rating yet, but assumption is same as Tiguan (only 184 hp).

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Update: (2014 Avalon Limited Hybrid, straight-up purchase [with 12k miles] with the 2014 NMS Passat buyback money)

Just put 5500 miles on the car, Fort Worth-DC-FW, 2200 of the miles up and down the Blue Ridge Mountains in Wintergreen (in residence at the Wintergreen Music Festival). 36.9mpg. NMS Passat last summer, similar trip, ambient temps, 40.1mpg. (return trip from Wintergreen, 1400miles, 43.1mpg)

However, with the Avalon, I have LED headlights that show me the killer deer BEFORE they hit my bumper, auto-dim hi-beams, rain-sensing wipers that WORK, Homelink that works, ventilated seats, super quiet cabin, instant-on back-up camera, almost non-existent brake dust (at 41k, ft.pads 8mm, rear 10mm), etc. etc, everything you'd expect from a $45k retail car!

Blackstone says oil can go to 15k miles, just changed it at 41k (12k on the oil) never needed to add oil.

Oh, by the way, passing with this car is effortless. It responds well, noisier than I'd like, and the "motorboat" CVT still annoys on occasion...full throttle to pass gives you lots of engine noise momentarily before the drivetrain actually responds...much like a motorboat propeller.

I no longer miss my TDIs, except for being on the outside of the TDIClub fraternity.

Last edited:

Trade Wind

Veteran Member
TDI
Two weeks, 2 tanks of gas and 1,000 miles into owning the 2014 Fusion hybrid. I really enjoy driving it. Adaptive cruise is pretty amazing. Quieter on road than the 2012 Passat. Good stereo and creature comforts. 42 mpg average after 2 tanks, hand calculated, regular gas. When I get up to 80 mph, mileage drops to around 40 mpg, actually not bad. I miss the Passat's manual transmission a little, but I could never shift fast enough to match the CVT in this car. Overall I am very happy with it.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup

Bought my replacement today! 2014 370z touring with only 17k miles! It's in new condition! Leather, heated and air conditioned seats, climate control, heated mirrors. It's awesome. My car has been getting long in the tooth. 145000 to the floor miles while tuned. The dmf is rattling, it's leaking coolant from somewhere deep, the brake rotors are shot and tired are bald. Time to take the money and run! Hopefully the buyback goes smoothly as I already bought the Z on my credit card lol! It's been fun here but I've had enough of this car.

tdiatlast

Top Post Dawg
TDI
My thoughts exactly. TDIClub server was down (for me, at least) yesterday, that big car took up so much space.

Hmm...not really a Passat replacement, either, but a nice car nonetheless.

jdyno718

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 VW Passat SE Manual
I have my heart set on one, but haven't found the one. I am looking at the Mazdaspeed 6. Just test drove one and it was a blast. It was smoker car with lots of interior damage, so it's a no go. keep looking I guess.

767wrench

Veteran Member
TDI
1981 Rabbit Pickup
Lol I'm not sure why it did that lol im not the greatest with computer stuff. Definitely not a Passat replacement but I drive less than I used to and can drive other vehicles in bad weather now. It's definitely a lot of fun! This car feels like it has warp drive compared to my tuned Passat!