Gen 2 Fix Approved

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
I chatted with a representative about this a month or so ago through the VW claims portal and the response I received is that VW has until May 1, 2018 to have an approved emissions modification. Then we as customers have until September 1, 2018 to submit a claim to receive the settlement benefits (either emissions fix or buyback). Your claim obviously doesn't have to be fulfilled by Sept 1st, but you have to have paperwork submitted for your intentions to claim the settlement by then otherwise you forfeit the opportunity to claim the settlement benefits.
Thanks for the info - sounds like I'll have my Passat for at least another year ;)

rmilchman

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
My son took my '14 on a 900 mile (round trip) journey. The computer said 45 MPG, before the fix I would have gotten closer to 50 or 51 depending on the leg of the drive (going south or north).

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat Highline TDI Candy White (SEL Premium) long gone 2002 Jetta TDI
I don't think in this case. If I always use the computer as a check point then my comparison is accurate unless they also changed the way they calculate mileage.
The only accurate Mpg figuring is by filling the tank to the same level each time and divide distance traveled by amount of fuel taken.

Since I use Imperial gallons for my calculation, subtract about 20% from my number. I don't usually hit 80Mph at anytime except twice a year on a Texas Toll road. Then my mileage drops and in my opinion that is why all these people here on this board who regularly drive 75 - 80 Mph and get in the mid to high 50 Mpg on a smaller gallon than my figuring, are full of ?

rmilchman

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
The only accurate Mpg figuring is by filling the tank to the same level each time and divide distance traveled by amount of fuel taken.

Since I use Imperial gallons for my calculation, subtract about 20% from my number. I don't usually hit 80Mph at anytime except twice a year on a Texas Toll road. Then my mileage drops and in my opinion that is why all these people here on this board who regularly drive 75 - 80 Mph and get in the mid to high 50 Mpg on a smaller gallon than my figuring, are full of ?
I totally understand the computer is not accurate and manual is the only accurate way to find the mileage. My point is that I'm showing less then I did before the fix. I would assume a manual calculation would differ by the same percentage, which seems to be roughly a 10% loss.

DASH

TDI
2005.5 Jetta TDI / 2012 Passat TDI SEL Premium
Just a quick update after a full tank of fuel post emissions fix.
My last tank MPG was 41.7 the first tank after was 38.8 for a loss of 2.9 MPG as tracked on Fuelly.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Just a quick update after a full tank of fuel post emissions fix.
My last tank MPG was 41.7 the first tank after was 38.8 for a loss of 2.9 MPG as tracked on Fuelly.
I did a quick check and since I had the Phase 1 (Software) done on June 19th my mileage has not changed, unless you want to quibble over a very minor per mile difference.
I fill my tank until not one more drop can be put in !!!!

My mileage before (NOT MFD) taken over 12 month converted to US gallons is 40.6.
Since June 19th Mpg is 40.04 (Almost 3 months) Imp gal. is 50.05 now.

Last edited:

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Unless they don't try again they have until May '18 to pass right?

johnjonfenomenon

TDI
2014 Passat TDI SEL
Decisions decision. I have a 2014 Passat I have initially wanted to do the buy back, but now I am contemplating the fix I don't owe that much more on the vehicle (about 12,000) and I have a 60 month 0%. Im going to take a look at a 2017 Passat TSI Premium today and see what type of deal I could get. But like I said not motivated yet to make a decision. Looking for more feedback.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat SE with nav (totaled)
get the fix, then fix the fix- 55mpg will be back and no regenerations :D

Kedwards005

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige
AdBlue/DEF, fix the fix, suspension longevity

Hello all, new to forum, 2.5 years with 2015 Passat TDI SEL Prem.

Have a few questions for you:

Had the first fix completed 9 weeks ago.
After 980 miles (post fix) the DEF tank warning light pops up advising to ad fluid, the fluid had been topped off 6,500 miles prior at last service. Anyone else experienced this? (added 2 gals. DEF)

member "jrm" wrote about fixing the fix, is this referencing the "tuning" packages available from different vendors?

I have 39K miles on this machine, really enjoy driving it.
How long will the stock OEM suspension last? (Not driving aggressively, but do a lot of mountain road miles.)

Great insights gained from this forum, trolled site for months before purchasing, hopefully one day I might be able to contribute to the wealth of knowledge here.

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
After 980 miles (post fix) the DEF tank warning light pops up advising to ad fluid, the fluid had been topped off 6,500 miles prior at last service. Anyone else experienced this? (added 2 gals. DEF)
Who added the DEF fluid ???

If you did, there is a certain sequence to be followed.
Fill the DEF tank, close it and then turn on the ignition but do not start the car. wait about 30 seconds or so and then it's OK to start.

If not done it may cause problems such as you are experiencing.

Kedwards005

TDI
2015 Passat TDI SEL Premium, 2013 Audi Q7 TDI Prestige
Jetta Pilot - Yes I added the DEF, when I turned the ignition I did wait about 45 seconds or so thinking the fluid gauge would need to register the additional fluid, glad I did.

Not having any issues following the addition of fluid, was curious if that is going to be the normal from now on, having to add DEF between service intervals. I remember reading somewhere on the VW TDI settlement site that there was a "possibility" the DEF usage would go up. Evidently in my case it did, so I will just keep additional fluid handy when the odometer gets close to the 6K mile mark of the service interval.

Thanks for the heads up, did not know other issues could follow the DEF replenishment.

Last edited:

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
1st car passes
2nd car fails by 0.001grams
they bring in a 3rd car and it fails by 0.005grams
crazy.
Soooooooooo........................what's that mean? Small enough that another little tweak should get it across the finish line or VW tried, and since we're only 2% of the total TDIs they're "over it" and we're going to have to do the buyback?

unixb0y

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat Comfortline 6MT Nav
Soooooooooo........................what's that mean? Small enough that another little tweak should get it across the finish line or VW tried, and since we're only 2% of the total TDIs they're "over it" and we're going to have to do the buyback?

-----
September 8, 2017

Dear Dealer Partners,

I wanted to let you know the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) have determined to disapprove our initial proposed emissions modification for approximately 7,100 Generation Two 2.0L TDI Model Year 2012-14 Passat vehicles with manual transmissions, the majority of which have already been removed from the road.

Volkswagen is still pursuing an approved emissions modification for these vehicles and intends to submit a proposed emissions modification within 90 days that we believe will address the regulators' concerns. We will update you as soon as there are additional details to share.

With your assistance, Volkswagen has been able to offer our customers an approved emissions modification for more than 98 percent of eligible 2.0L TDI vehicles in the United States. Our goal remains to make the settlement process as seamless as possible for you and our customers, and your ongoing support remains critical to its success. As always, I am enormously grateful for your hard work and support.

Best Regards,

Hinrich J. Woebcken
President & CEO, VWGoA

RandomGuy

TDI
2014 Passat SE Manual
-----
September 8, 2017
Dear Dealer Partners,
I wanted to let you know the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and California Air Resources Board (CARB) have determined to disapprove our initial proposed emissions modification for approximately 7,100 Generation Two 2.0L TDI Model Year 2012-14 Passat vehicles with manual transmissions, the majority of which have already been removed from the road.
Volkswagen is still pursuing an approved emissions modification for these vehicles and intends to submit a proposed emissions modification within 90 days that we believe will address the regulators' concerns. We will update you as soon as there are additional details to share.
With your assistance, Volkswagen has been able to offer our customers an approved emissions modification for more than 98 percent of eligible 2.0L TDI vehicles in the United States. Our goal remains to make the settlement process as seamless as possible for you and our customers, and your ongoing support remains critical to its success. As always, I am enormously grateful for your hard work and support.
Best Regards,
Hinrich J. Woebcken
President & CEO, VWGoA
Thanks!

Jetta_Pilot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Jetta Pilot - Yes I added the DEF, when I turned the ignition I did wait about 45 seconds or so thinking the fluid gauge would need to register the additional fluid, glad I did.
I believe my DEF usage has gone up by about 30%, but I have to wait a bit longer to get the exact usage.
I fill the tank about every 3-4 months so I have never seen the warning light come on yet.

Get a brand new 2 gallon gas can ONLY for DEF fluid use and go to a truck-stop to buy the DEF fluid for about $ 2.30 per gallon. Some guy here just sticks the DEF nozzle in, but I wouldn't want to see the inside of his trunk! I'm very careful adding it but even then a few drops seem to go astray, that's why I line the area around the DEF fill and the trunk floor with a black garbage bag.

Last edited:

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
I still buy the wall mart stuff $7.88 for 2.5 gallons, I have picked up 5 gallons at a truck stop in one of my gas cans- but wasn't worth the hassle as my usage is still pretty low- prob only need to buy 2-3 more of those before my def usage drops to zero

Flyboy777

TDI
2012 VW Passat TDI W DSG
Ok I just checked my mileage and it really hasn't changed at all post fix. 4.94 litres per 100km for range of about 1320km on a full tank. I am pleased. I'll report on my def usage in a couple of months it used to be about 9-12 litres over 15,000 km so a little under 1 litre every 1,000 km.

jrm

Veteran Member
TDI
mine has dropped a bit, but the MFI seems more accurate thus freaking people (me included)

Nebelwerfer

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat TDI
So, it's been a few months since the release of the fix. I'm still on the fence of walking away unfixed or getting the fix for the extended warranty for my 2012 Comfortline.

Any feedback on mileage/ changes to drive ability would be welcomed.

Regards

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
I got this email today:

As part of Volkswagen's Court-approved settlements with the United States Department of Justice (DOJ), Environmental Protection Agency (EPA), the California Air Resources Board (CARB), the California Attorney General’s Office (CAAG), the Federal Trade Commission (FTC) and class plaintiffs represented by the Court-appointed Class Counsel, we are informing you that Volkswagen has withdrawn the application for an emissions modification for 2012- 2014 model year 2.0L TDI (GEN 2) Volkswagen Passat vehicles with manual transmissions.

Our records show that have a claim for a vehicle affected by this action. The purpose of this email is to inform you of that withdrawal and let you know that we have reset your claim so that you can select an alternative remedy. At your convenience, click here to log back into the claims portal and continue with your claim. Upon log in you will be taken to the “Ownership Details” step at which point you can edit the information as needed.

If you have any questions or need further assistance, please contact our Settlement Support Team at 1-844-98-CLAIM.

I haven’t had time to log in and see what the options are, but it’s a disappointing outcome.

I will post more details once I have a chance to see what the options are.

nachomax

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6MT
Jared,

I just received that letter in the mail. A bit disappointed that VW is excluding the manual transmission cars. Wanted to keep this car for a long time, but guess I won't be buying another VW product anytime soon. Time to shop for a new car.

BroncoAZ

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Touareg Lux, 2015 Passat 6MT, 2009 Jetta (long gone), 2011 Touareg (bought back 02/18)
Makes me glad I purchased the fixed 2015 manual car last month, with this news I’m sure the 2015 manuals will be even harder to find.

nachomax

TDI
2012 Passat SE 6MT
I was counting on the fix. Anyone who got the buyback make a case to get their sales tax refunded from the original purchase? Seems fair, doesn't it?

jaredaggie

TDI
2000 ALH, Black, 5M; 2013 Passat TDI 2.0 6MT
It does seem fair.

I was really hoping for a fix also, a real bummer. Not sure if I will keep it or not. To clarify, at this point if we keep them there is no extended warranty, only the restitution payment of 5ish k?