WILL there be an EPA approved fix?

Gravedigger

TDI
2013 Jetta
Will there be an EPA approved fix for 2013 Jetta?

I really want to keep the car and use the money to fix my truck. Times have been very tough the last several years for our family and the money will be a help. We bought the car used just one month before it hit the fan.

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
No matter how tough your situation, NO ONE can tell you for sure right now whether or not there will be a fix. There has been a lot of speculation, and many, if not most people think there will be a fix for the later model Dieselgatemobiles, and particularly the ones with the SCR system. But as of this writing, anyone who tells you they know for sure is yanking your chain. And VW has nearly a year (Oct. 2017) to generate one, so there's no particular reason to hope for anything soon.

pknopp

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Jetta Sportwagen
Probably. Rico is right in the big picture but now that the EPA said that they will accept a relaxing of the standard (after VW writes them a big check) there probably will be an approved fix.

The EPA is going to know that there will be some people wanting to keep their cars while most will turn them in and it's not going to be worth dragging this out for what amounts to not that many cars in the big picture.

meerschm

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2009 Jetta wagon DSG 08/08 205k buyback 1/8/18; replaced with 2017 Golf Wagon 4mo 1.8l CXBB
so keep this in mind.

VW described a fix for the gen one cars (would include your 2013) to EPA in January. This is reflected in the partial consent decree we saw in June.

https://www.justice.gov/opa/file/871306/download

the proposed gen one fix is consistent with parts shown in a recently posted dealer training video

the schedule has VW providing the final details of a proposed gen one fix expected date of November 11th, and no later than the end of January 2017 (see page 110 of 225 in the doc linked to above)

there is a short evaluation period after this final fix is proposed, before the official approval of a fix.

my bet would be that a fix and payment will be available at local dealers in the spring sometime.

Last edited:

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
I would say in the Gen 2 and 3 cars - unequivably -yes ! Gen 1 2013 Jetta - to the relaxed standards, yes.

Even if they don't have a fix - you can still keep driving your car - for as long as it still passes the OBDII existing checks (which it should). No fix = no $$$, but you could still keep the car and keep driving it.

See, that wasn't so hard !

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
And if the OP is hurting financially, why not go with the buyback? Should get the money much sooner and should realize enough profit to fix the truck and still have a nice chunk of cash left.

scooperhsd

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, RED(5 Speed conversion) 2015 Golf SE
And if the OP is hurting financially, why not go with the buyback? Should get the money much sooner and should realize enough profit to fix the truck and still have a nice chunk of cash left.

The flip side to doing the buyback is that the OP might need to buy a replacement vehicle (not necessarily new) .

Airpizz6

Veteran Member
TDI
Now TDI-free, but there now is a 15 MB E250 BT in the driveway
The flip side to doing the buyback is that the OP might need to buy a replacement vehicle (not necessarily new) .
Maybe I wasn't clear. If one is financially strapped, choices have to be made. One vehicle (the truck) should be less cost to operate, register, insure and maintain than two vehicles. Is owning more than one vehicle absolutely necessary?

Rico567

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL Premium (Turned in 7/7/18)
<snip> Is owning more than one vehicle absolutely necessary?
This is another one of these questions that may just be rhetorical. When my wife and I were both working, given the differences in geography, obligations after working hours, etc., the answer was, unequivocally, "YES." I retired 14 years ago, and at that time the answer moved to "Well, not absolutely, but given where we lived and other considerations, it would have been extremely time-consuming on several days of the week, taking someone to work / picking them up, etc." When she, too, retired 5 years ago, the answer changed again. "Not necessary, but pretty inconvenient." This year we moved, and we're face to face with urban living, excellent public transportation, and an answer of "Not really."
So— even for the same individual, those questions have a way of generating different answers over time. And we're not even considering things that could be discussed indefinitely, such as very strong cultural predilections that favor driving, even when it's an idiotic choice.....

k1xv

Veteran Member
TDI
09 TDI sedan, sold back 12/16. Present cars 2013 BMW X5 diesel, 2015 Corvette convertible
If you go fix, you won't get any cash from VW until the car is actually fixed. Which could take a long, long time, if ever. So if your need for cash is near immediate, go for buyback, and replace it with a cheaper car.