"Cheap" "fix(?)" for MKV air bag faults

aheng

TDI
2006 1.9 Jetta Wolfsburg Sedan
$0.25 resistors can get your wrecked Jetta back on the road again.

I bought a Jetta from Copart with rear end damage. (I like Copart.) the impact was cleanly on the center of the rear end, with apparently no damage to the Jetta other than the body damage. 2006-2007 Jetta Wolfsburg with the HXU transmission.

Anyway three of the seat belt igniters did blow and did record faults. But strangely 2 of the rear seat airbags did not blow, but did record codes in the ECU. I carefully removed, inspected, and replaced the seat airbags.

I do not understand why the seat airbags did not blow, but did record codes?

I talked at length with B&R, and a couple of their people suggested I replace the ECU ($80.00) to get rid of the permanent accident code, and possibly clear the other airbag faults.

(The vehicle is branded salvage by the way. The Jetta has 150K on it, and I would like to own it to at least 240K, if not 300K.)

However, it seems that the Volkswagen Airbag ECU's are very sensitive to the resistance values in the electrical circuits, and that it is common for the faults to remain even with replacement equipment. The scanner or VCDS will show the circuit as low or high.

I purchased replacement seat belt retractors with igniters.

To stop the fault codes, I purchased a wide variety of resistor values from Alphatronics electronics in Tukwila WA (I like them also). I purchased over 2 dozen resistor values from 1 ohm to 5 ohm resistance in 0.200 ohm increments. And then I just swapped them in until all my airbag lights are now out. And I bought a VAG 401 for routine maintenance as well.

A mechanic at Auburn Volkswagen inspected the car and checked its alignment.

And now I get to drive the 1.9 liter TDI I have wanted for several years. 42 mpg and NO HYBRID complexity.