900 Mile Club

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
I know the Passat people won't be impressed, but I went 903.6 miles on a tank of fuel on the way to TDIFEST. That was 65 mph with no a/c and windows wide open. Stock chip.
Those last few miles are a bit nerve racking.

------------------
Yellow 2000 Beetle

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
'00 Golf GLS, '03 Wagon GL
Alright, Karl, way to go! So that's stock chip, windows down, CC@65mph... did you end up hooking the EGR back up, or is it still disconnected?

I just read where The Tazz is getting something like 60mpg with an Upsolute chip @ 75mph...is that for real?! So Karl, is that next on your list after the TDIFest? 'Sure sounds like you guys had a great time down there.

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
It was great.
I looked at my boost gauge when I turned on the ac and it went up 1 psi. When I turned it off and rolled the windows all the way down, nothing. I have a NB, but I wonder if this can be verified by someone else.
Was that what the post about Tazz said? I'll have to reread it.
You heard I got Upsoluted too? It's the way to go.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
Ack! Now you're starting to make my head spin, Karl

I hadn't read that you'd gotten Upsoluted,...oh, wait, yeah, there was that one thread where you and Howard(?) were at Valois' bright and early...OK, yeah, I did read it then... So wait a sec, you first post is only half correct then...you only went half way w/ the stock chip, and you well know that a true mileage run involves a round trip! Could you repeat your last run this coming weekend and let us know how the mileage is w/ the Upsolute on a full RT?

Autopilot

Veteran Member
TDI
Y2K Jetta 5 spd Canyon Red, 2013 JSW 6MT
Karl,
Do you recall how many miles you went after the fuel light came on?

Also, was the needle sitting on the empty line for a while?

Karl Roenick

Top Post Dawg
Norman, Norman, Norman.
Of COURSE I've already done that.
Going down: 57.76 mpg.
Coming back, Upsoluted: 57.56
The light came on at an incredible 832 miles. So that means....72 miles.
I was thinking that vw said 1.5 gallons reserve, but somebody else said 1.8 gallons. I had no container of diesel with me so it was a little nerve wracking. The needle was hovering near the bottom a lot. Whether it could have gone down some more, I don't know. I didn't look at it too much!
I had some hills for a pretty good portion of the trip.
I might have been able to go 900 on the way back too, but I'm not going to press my luck.

Powder Hound

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'00 Golf 4dr White 5sp, '02 Jettachero 5sp, Wife's '03 NB Platinum Gray auto(!)
I ran mine dry once ('00 Golf) to see what it would do. 124 miles after the light. That was 60-65 mph, no air, 90% freeway. I figured 2.5 gallons on the reserve.

The only problem I can see is that it might be possible that the actual reserve varies from vehicle to vehicle: I don't know how carefully calibrated the placement of the fuel level sender would be in each tank.

------------------
Always interested in steep & deep.
Ski resorts closed! Break out the cameras and fly rod ...

ertzog

Veteran Member
TDI
2K Golf, 05 Sprinter 118
Way to go! You are my hero.

No reserve tank? .... Nerves of Steel!!!

Windows down? it seems there is still mileage to be had - is the ultimate goal 1000 miles/tank?

------------------
Blk/Blk Debadged 2000 Golf GL TDI

[This message has been edited by ertzog (edited September 05, 2000).]

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
If it takes 60mpg to achieve 1000mi/tank, then I expect the Tazz to report that he's set that mark, after he wakes up from his trip back from the TDI Fest. And if he does make it, I think it'd be more of a white knuckle affair than Karl's trip down to the GTG.

Bill Kriese

Veteran Member
TDI
Jetta,2000,White
Excellent job Karl, on my first tank of diesel I drove 775 miles and thought that was not too bad. My low fuel light went on at about 730 miles, I was going to try and make 800, but didn't know how far I could go on reserve.

Joe Romas

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Jetta Sprotswagen
On my 96 Passat, I found it possible to put 24 gallons of fuel in a 18 gallon tank. I routinely ran 800 miles per tank and did top 1000 per tank once. That's when I really filled it up. It was on a trip. My Passat averaged 45.4 over 107,000 miles. My 99.5 Jetta at 44,000 miles has averaged 50.6 MPG and on a trip this past summer from Florida to Ohio I got 53, 73, 74, 52, MPG the middle two were at 70 to 75 mph with the ac on.

Norman

Veteran Member
TDI
How the heck do you guys get 60+mpg cruising at 70+mph w/ the A/C on?! Are y'all going downhill with a massive tailwind or something??

Turbo Steve

Top Post Dawg
Norman:

Karl had a blue Bug behind 'em with a lot of hot air that was pushing him along - if you catch my drift!

flair.14

Veteran Member
TDI
02 black Bora
When the fuel light first comes on the 2002 Jetta, how much fuel should be left in the tank? Would be nice to know how much further I can go when that darn light comes up

garrettp

Former Chip-Monk
TDI
2000 JEDI
well, now that i have my 15" steel wheels on (took of the heavy 17"'s for winter) i am back to near 800 per tank.

i was planning on making an experimental trip with a friend on a weekend. this would be driving at 45mph till the thing ran out. i know that 1,000 miles would be possible but take 24 hours or so
sure would be cool though

maybe in spring when it warms up a bit

pharmerman

Veteran Member
TDI
1996 Passat, maroon (gone but not forgotten), 2002 Passat GLX v-6 Manual
how the heck are you other Passat owners getting above 900 miles per tank at highway speed? My best was 816 miles. I just started with the B20 and a fresh tune-up so I'll pass a few tankfuls to clean the system and then push the envelope once more I guess.

BoraTdi

Veteran Member
somebody is calculating wrong, or else taking an hour and a half to vent their tank. I vent prodigiously and on either TDI, regardless of how I drive, I've never ONCE achieved more than 550 miles. What gives?

Oberkanone

Top Post Dawg
TDI
13 Jetta TDI Premium manual "gone"
The capacity of the fuel tank is 18.5 gallons on Passat and 14.5 gallons on Golf and Jetta. I know I can get at least 16 gallons into my Golf when venting. How much can fit into a Passat?
My Golf is an auto and I once hit 700 miles on one tank and then chickened out and filled the tank. I can routinely get over 600 miles per tank. Have not put my Jetta Wagon with 5 spd to the long distance test yet so I do not know if I could get into the 900 mpg club.
BoraTDI-you must be driving your car fast and furious because 550 miles is only 34 mpg with 16 gallons in the tank. How much fuel are you squeezing into your tank?

MORE_MPG

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat Wagon, 1996, Grey
pharmerman,
- The last 2 fill-ups in my Passat wagon were at 1042 and 1030 miles (1st tank had 400 miles of highway, 2nd was all commuting, very mixed). I have heard that there is extra capacity in the wagon's tank. I have patience to vent-trick for a while (I routinely put 22-23 US gals. in it), I have not yet been able to wait to actually see the fuel in the filler neck just sitting there.
- 22.5 gals. x 45 MPG = 1012.5 Miles/Tank.
- If you are putting 17 gals. in and not doing the vent-trick you would have to been careful to push much past 800 in normal driving (maybe ok on a trip). I ran out at something like 810 before vent-tricking.
- 1012.5 MPT / 17 Gals = 59.5 MPG Don't count on getting 60MPG very often in a Passat. Fifty-somthing is a good goal I think.
- BTW, I really want another digit on my trip odometer (_###.#)! It sucks to see 999.9 roll to 0! OK, not really that bad

TDIBill

Veteran Member
TDI
97Passat, 96 Passat Variant
MORE_MPG Filled up our new Passat wagon the other day gage said approx 16gal left. Put 10.7gal in.508.9mi. Avg 47.4mpg

96Wagon

Veteran Member
TDI
96 Passat, 06 Golf
I drive mostly city but you could easily call it a 50/50 combined as I live 6 km (4 miles) from town. With venting I can get 1600km (1000 miles) without any problems. This is with putting somewhere around 80 litres (21 usgal) on a fillup. My average over 4 years has been 5 l/100km (47us mpg) with a high of 4 l/100km (59us mpg) driving strictly highway at 100kmh (62 mph)

dzljet

Veteran Member
TDI
00 Jetta
Originally posted by BoraTdi:
somebody is calculating wrong, or else taking an hour and a half to vent their tank. I vent prodigiously and on either TDI, regardless of how I drive, I've never ONCE achieved more than 550 miles. What gives?
<font size="2" face="Verdana, Helvetica, sans-serif">Bora,

Their not calculating wrong, it's a matter of discipline to stay off the pedal.
Around town or semi mixed driving, where I have a habit of driving my TDI like it was still my Z-28 I, have found 530-550 to be about my worst mpg.

On a trip around the heart of Texas with an old college professor leading the way, (never going over 65mph) we drove 300 miles and I figured we could of gone 900 miles on that tank easily. I had 2 Japanese foreign exchange students with me that probably weighed 200 lbs together. We used the A/C for a very short time, otherwise windows were closed or slightly cracked.
I had prepared for the trip by changing the oil the day before, inflating my V rated tires to 40psi and filling to the top of the neck (vent) and I was using a tuning box with a descreened intake pipe and a K&N filter.

I firmly believe 900+ or even 1000 is possible, but not without mods and some effort.
The only problem with it is, no one seems to believe it.
It's like having a TDI that beats a Mustang GT in the 1/8 mile. The only one's who accept it as truth are the one's who see it.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I got 902 miles on a tank going to the gtg at Hondo's. Car is a Beetle, driven at 65 mph. Some stop and go at the end when driving around trying to get over 900 miles. 56.8 mpg.