VW Longlife III 507.00 shelf life

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
Just FYI. Part # GVWO52195M2

On the back of the bottle it states that for best results oil should be used within three (3) years from the production date marked on the neck. (My "born on" date is Jul '07)

I picked up two cases since the dealers here just started carrying it. Looks like I may have to sell 1/2 a case or so at a gtg or something.

Just thought someone would like to know in case they're planning on stocking up.

-Chris

zanzabar

Vendor
TDI
2004 Jetta BEW 5spd (dual duty track car and daily driver beater)
Just picked up 6L from my dealer (Williams VW Lansing, MI) for $6.96 each. Not a bad price!

got_diesel?

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (Package 1)
robbinsresort said:
Yep...exceeds it.

Plenty of info out there.
Unless it was approved within the last 2 weeks and there is a new TSB, this oil does not meet the 505.01 requirement...

Some people have been able to obtain a letter from thier VW Service department to prevent Warranty void concerns and if you decide to use it I'd suggest strongly doing the same. If the bottle doesn't have VW505.01 on it then I'd be hesitant to use it without some other validation that it does in fact meet the requirement.

I have 8 Litres that I'm hanging onto until it gets approved but I've been using the Castrol SLX until then..

For specific validation see last links posted within the thread below:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=197144&page=2

Last edited:

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
The updated Bentley shows for 2006 TDI 1.9 BRM

TDI - PD Use only oil meeting VW oil quality standard VW 504.00 / 507.00 low ash oil.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I only see the above listing for the Toureg page, not the Jetta. I just updated mine and can't find that listed for the Jetta under Fluids and capacities at all. Matter of fact it only lists the 502 spec, whereas in 2005 and 2007 (Canada) it spells out 505.01 still on the Jetta page.

wjdell

Top Post Dawg
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG PKG 1 17" VV Campy White/Beige
Ok let me clarify - I did not get a update - VP of Bentley sent me a brand new 3.1 DVD set this week. Unlike the previous disk this one works very well no more code problems.

I put my serial number in and it identifies my car - which the previous version did not. I go to 2006 BRM and I open the Fluids table - yes all gas must use 502.00; TDI - PD Use only oil meeting VW oil quality standard VW 504.00 / 507.00 low ash oil.

Now under 2005 is still shows 505.01 but 2006 and 2007 show verbatim what I posted. Not every place in the manual has been updated, but many parts have.

My Bentley the offical guide for VW clearly states under 2006 fluids table this

TDI - PD Use only oil meeting VW oil quality standard VW 504.00 / 507.00 low ash oil.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
That is cool! I was looking for a TSB to come down about this, but just updating the charts is good too! Quite a coincidence too as I am installing a bypass filter, VW Longlife III 507.00 oil, and a trailer hitch Friday afternoon.

robbinsresort

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI, 85 Golf n/a Diesel
got_diesel? said:
Unless it was approved within the last 2 weeks and there is a new TSB, this oil does not meet the 505.01 requirement...

Some people have been able to obtain a letter from thier VW Service department to prevent Warranty void concerns and if you decide to use it I'd suggest strongly doing the same. If the bottle doesn't have VW505.01 on it then I'd be hesitant to use it without some other validation that it does in fact meet the requirement.

I have 8 Litres that I'm hanging onto until it gets approved but I've been using the Castrol SLX until then..

For specific validation see last links posted within the thread below:
http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=197144&page=2
To each his own. This is good enough for me...

Lightflyer1 said:
That is cool! I was looking for a TSB to come down about this, but just updating the charts is good too! Quite a coincidence too as I am installing a bypass filter, VW Longlife III 507.00 oil, and a trailer hitch Friday afternoon.
You gonna be the dieselgeek brm bypass filter guinea pig?

got_diesel?

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI (Package 1)
robbinsresort said:
To each his own. This is good enough for me...
Nice Work! My question is why they don't stamp it on the bottles and make it public knowledge through a TSB. I just don't get it!

Wished I had a letter addressed to me with my VIN Number appearing in the header! :rolleyes: