Timing Belt questions - anyone done this service yet?

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Wondering if anyone on the forum here has completed the timing belt replacement, if so what route did you go - DIY or Dealer?

If you went the DIY route, any insight or lessons learned?

If you went the dealer route, what did you end up paying?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
several with Passats and EA288 have done it, just a bit more of a pain on the MK7 due to less space.

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
There is a third option: having a non-dealer professional do it. ;) Perhaps a portly fellow who loves Volkswagens and drives one every day himself.

Just sayin'....

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
I didn't replace mine, but have put on a CP3 fuel pump which requires belt loosening and retensioning. The crank lock from previous CRs works just fine, the cam lock pin works just the same, as does the pump pin from previous CR, and lastly the tensioner tool works just the same.
Unlike the CKRA in the Passat, the motor mount does have to come off to get the belt off/on so you'll need new bolts there and a way to suspend the engine safely.

kevdean

TDI
2015 Sportwagon manual
Just posted a similar thread about starting my Timing belt job for my 2015 sportwagon. Could you clarify if there are any tools that are not compatible from my 2009 sportwagon timing tool kit?? I don't want to get it torn apart and realize i don't have the right tool!! Also any pointers, video's? Much different then the old common rail? Though that was many miles back and i don't remember much about the job. Thanks!!

15TDICommuter

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW
Any kits that you can buy that include the lock and other necessary bits?

I could DIY it, but due to the fact that this is my commuter, I wonder if its just easier to have someone do it and if that is the route i go, what to expect for a bill.