Cooling fan

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf Sportwagen 6 speed manual. B5 died at 302k miles.
I am on my 3rd day of using the car. Is it normal for the cooling fan to stay on for about 3-5 minutes after the engine is turned off? It was used in stop and go traffic for about 7 out of the 14 mile commute. Ambient temperature was about 60F. The last 7 miles of the commute was on sections that allowed for cruising at 60 MPH. Coolant is right at the "min" mark.
Fiddling with the dashboard controls, I came upon "Oil temperature" Mine was about 200-205. The highest I have seen so far was on an extended freeway run at 75 MPH for about 50 miles and the reading got to 212. Hope these readings are about normal. My late B5 stayed at 190 all the time, but I did not have a digital readout, just and analog dial.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
Your oil temps are fine, seen mine into the 230-240 range which is fine. If the car was in a raised idle state, at about 1k rpm the fan staying on is normal. That is usually indicative of a regen happening. Or in the cases of when it is hot with the a/c going and fans and what not, it is because it senses a larger electrical load so it spins the motor a little faster to keep the alternator going.

It is not uncommon to smell a different kind of smell from your car with its at this raised idle state in a regen cycle. It’s burning things off. It’s normal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
If I read correctly depends on city vs highway driving, but maybe ever 300 miles? More often with city driving vs less often with highway driving. Mine seem to be every 400 miles or so if I catch them at all.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
The more I read about DPF's and regens, the more I am convinced that car manufacturers are making features up that are supposed to be good for the environment when they really aren't. So regeneration burns off the gook in the DPF. All that gook gets blown into the atmosphere, and the heat generated cannot possibly be good for "global warming"

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Soot gets burned off and turns to ash which is caught and collected in the dpf. At some point it gets full and has to be replaced. It isn't released into the environment. Matter of fact the exhaust is one of the cleanest out there of any IC engine. The small amount of heat produced is negligible in the grand scheme of things. No need to inject issues that don't exist. If you are that worried about "Global warming" you should park your car and walk or use a bicycle. You could be doing so much worse driving almost any other car than the one you are.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
The more I read about DPF's and regens, the more I am convinced that car manufacturers are making features up that are supposed to be good for the environment when they really aren't. So regeneration burns off the gook in the DPF. All that gook gets blown into the atmosphere, and the heat generated cannot possibly be good for "global warming"

Also, the heat out off by diesels is less than gas motors. EGTs from what I read are a couple hundred degrees less on our diesels than their gas turbo powered counterparts.

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also, the heat out off by diesels is less than gas motors. EGTs from what I read are a couple hundred degrees less on our diesels than their gas turbo powered counterparts.

depends on operating conditions, but cruising 65 on the highway side by side yeah the diesel will have lower EGTs, but that's also due to crazy high EGR.

GreenLantern_TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GOLF SEL
Regens on my 2015 golf with 2a emissions fix are every 225-260 miles with 90% highway miles. Average egt is 900ish upstream and 700ish downstream. Under regen both are 1000-1300.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
Car manufacturers were forced into the emissions improvements by the government, not by choice. They are good for the environment in that they reduce the emissions from the car. These cars are still one of the cleanest running, emissions wise, out there.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
I read (but cannot verify) that EGT during regeneration goes to 1100F or 1400F. If that isn't heat I don't know what is.
VW got hosed by the EPA with dieselgate, in my opinion. I think VW was getting to fat with car sales in the US and someone decided to "teach " them a lesson.

ProfBrown

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 GSW SE DSG
I read (but cannot verify) that EGT during regeneration goes to 1100F or 1400F. If that isn't heat I don't know what is.
VW got hosed by the EPA with dieselgate, in my opinion. I think VW was getting to fat with car sales in the US and someone decided to "teach " them a lesson.

From what I heard egts on gasser cars can be well above 1400 degrees. Could be wrong.

There very well could be some truth to the last part of this post. I had heard that Harley Davidson was also cheating emissions standards and testing on a weak sauce tune, and then when the dealers picked them up they put a hot tune in them before they sold em. I dont know if this is true, but being an American company it makes sense that they would shaft the import to hide the American issue.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
From what I heard egts on gasser cars can be well above 1400 degrees. Could be wrong.

There very well could be some truth to the last part of this post. I had heard that Harley Davidson was also cheating emissions standards and testing on a weak sauce tune, and then when the dealers picked them up they put a hot tune in them before they sold em. I dont know if this is true, but being an American company it makes sense that they would shaft the import to hide the American issue.

Did you want to bail out Detroit another time? Always believed that is VW's entire European line WITH diesel option would wipe out competition with Detroit, and hurt Japanese brands. Buick and Oldsmobile diehards are there but they are getting thinned out.

Lightflyer1

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Beetle tdi dsg
I have the tools to monitor and have done so on my 2013 Passat tdi and my current 2015 Beetle tdi. Both reach temps when in regen of 1300F or so. But only for about ten minutes. This happens every 200+ miles or so. In the big scheme of things this contributes nothing to global warming at all.

I also think VW got shafted in the dieselgate fiasco. But only in the punishment phase not the wrongdoing. They were made an example of to stop others. VW has never ever been close to taking over the US car market. They just wish they were. Your views are really strange as they don't match reality at all.

whizznbyu

Veteran Member
TDI
I have the tools to monitor and have done so on my 2013 Passat tdi and my current 2015 Beetle tdi. Both reach temps when in regen of 1300F or so. But only for about ten minutes. This happens every 200+ miles or so. In the big scheme of things this contributes nothing to global warming at all.

I also think VW got shafted in the dieselgate fiasco. But only in the punishment phase not the wrongdoing. They were made an example of to stop others. VW has never ever been close to taking over the US car market. They just wish they were. Your views are really strange as they don't match reality at all.
I better go back and take my medications then.

adjat84th

Veteran Member
TDI
'01 Jetta TDI/'15 Golf TDI
The GTD series turbos on these '15 TDIs are safe to run at 935C which is ~1700F
Pretty easy to do with or without DPF and a tune and your foot to the floor :)