Audi A4 B7 TDI Clutch Dampening Springs Wore-out

Braddman

TDI
2006 Audi A4 BHW 2.0 TDI, 2005 Toyota Tacoma BHW TDI Swap
I have a 2006 Audi A4 that I bought with a BHW swapped into it. I have been working on finishing all the little details. This car is a 6 speed manual awd and I get 6.5L/100km on average so it make for a cheap and fun commuter car as I drive 1000km per week. The clutch has about 25,000km on it, its about a year old but today one of the clutch dampening springs wore out of the housing and got jammed between the clutch disc and the pressure plate fingers. I have been pulling trailers which weigh about 1000lbs total for about 5000 of those kilometers if that makes much difference. The flywheel is a Whitbread Performance 240mm SMF with a clutch masters FX250 clutch. I am wondering what to buy for a replacement clutch because I want to get close to half a million kilometers out of that car. I thought I should be able to get atleast 100,000km out of a clutch. I do mostly highway driving. I'm running a GTB2056 with stock injectors so I'm thinking the clutch will have to handle atleast 300ft/lbs.

Last edited:

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
I see youre running a single mass flywheel. I would say go back to a stock dmf and use a solid Sachs SRE clutch disc, should handle the torque of your gtb turbo...

Braddman

TDI
I’ve been doing some research on Passat 6 speed swaps and it looks like people are having great luck with the DMF kits so I might have to get one along with the transmission spacer and possibly a different starter.

Last edited:

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
Try a complete kit with stock DMF and SRE clutchkit from Darkside or directly from Sachs Racing website. It will hold everything you can achieve with current setup, but pedal is considerably harder than stock. If you don't live in a very crowded area, it will be ok. I had it for 2 months and after few days with more than 2h driving in the city, I had pain in my leg. I changed it for a reinforced BRD (PD170) kit. You need to source the spacer.
Can you detail the turbo installation, some pictures and what transmision code you have?

A second option is to get another clutch kit for your setup but I hope it is built for a diesel, not 2.0TFSI. It should have stronger hub and springs matched for high torque.

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
I can vouch for the SRE organic clutch disk (unsprung) with the 240mm DMF. I got mine from Frans. It holds all the power my car makes (around 200hp) and drives great. I tried two other clutch and flywheel setups before settling on this one.

Braddman

TDI
I’m going to order a starter, DMF, and clutch from Frans. What do you guys think about spring or unsprung clutch discs.

I’m using a GTB2056 from a 2015 VW Touareg 3.0tdi the turbo had both flanges cutoff and one welded back on. The exhaust manifold is custom, welded from 1/8” stainless but the exhaust head flange is mild steel and the manifold keeps cracking. So I will be making a new manifold from 1/8” ELS all mild steel and possibly having the manifold ceramic coated to prevent rusting. The turbo actuator is an electronic actuator from the Touareg with a different circuit board to allow for one wire control. The car is currently tuned for 28psi on stock injectors and almost smokeless tune. I love the turbo spool sound. I can build 5psi in neutral at 3000rpm.

[486]

Top Post Dawg
TDI
02 golf ALH
ripping the hub out of a dampened disc is a very common failure mode, there's a good reason most heavy truck clutches are solid hub
with the sprung hub you have some windup before the springs reach the end of their travel, like an impact wrench, where the solid hub will just rely on your engine mounts to cushion any jerking in the driveline

if you can get a similar disc with a solid hub from a DMF application and use it on your SMF you'll notice very little difference in how it feels from the driver's seat, but you eliminate the failure point. Even gear rollover noise is the same in my experience, the only thing I noticed is that the engine flopping back and forth in the mushy stock engine mounts is a little more pronounced. I ended up filling mine with window weld to stiffen them up, you might be able to do something similar.

Last edited:

arazvan2002

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A4 B6 1.9TDI AVF quattro
I don't know who is the real producer of the clutch plate from your kit but it should hold your torque.
You can try next time with a 3.0TDI/RS4 clutch plate 059141031P. It has 6 double springs and is built for 450Nm engine (3.0tdi BMK). On it's hub you can pur ceramic or whatever friction material you want.

Last edited:

vtpsd

Veteran Member
TDI
03 jsw TDI, audi 90 AHU swap
If you are running a DMF you do not need a sprung hub. I have the unsprung organic SRE disk on the 240mm DMF and it drives like an OEM clutch. Its awesome, and it can be launched with all 4 wheels spinning in second gear (not that I make a habit of it, but this setup can do it on my car)

adamss24

Veteran Member
TDI
audi a4 2.5 tdi 98 quatrro 6speed
Sprung clutch is a luxury, it might not hold all the torque in the world but its a sure way towards smooth changes ! I had solid hubs and they are a bit hard on take-off... All quattro models have DMF and a sprung clutch disc !

deaster

Veteran Member
TDI
02 Golf TDI Variant - 80 Caddy Diesel - 04 WDI Passat Variant
Sorry to bother you again @Braddman. Please reply to my PM when you have time. :)