anyone rocking diesel geek short shifter???

whiterabbit7

Veteran Member
TDI
2000 Golf GLS 201k miles
I love it! The throws are much shorter and more precise. When I drive my friends w/o it, I hate it. The stock part is one of the weakest links of the whole car in my opinion.
It does give a very mechanical feel that some people dont like. If you are looking for glassy smooth shifting this is not it.
But if you want a more positive feeling shifter that makes the driving experience better than this is a must buy.
I would recomend this to just about everyone.

jackbombay

Top Post Dawg
TDI
A4 Jetta
By no means is the DG SS kit bad, it just was not for me. If the throw is shortened and the amount of work being done (engaging a gear) remains the same, more pressure is required on the shift knob. For me the absence of the counter weight was not a good thing. With the stock shifter I can "row my boat" with a nice even rythm through the gears, I think in part due to the counter weight. When the car and tranny were warm the SS kit was great, when the car was cold 1st and 2nd were a little harder to get into than I wanted, I adjusted both linkages in and out one thread at a time, adjustment was correct. My shifts took longer with the SS kit than without because I only push lightly on the shift knob, I would push with X amount of force waiting for the gear to engage and it wouldn't so I would have to push a little harder, all this made the shift take longer than stock sometimes, not all the time. I am fully aware that that the SS kit is not a fast shift kit and I did not buy it for that purpose.

I bought mine, ran it for a few weeks and sold it for a loss of $20 bucks within a day or two of putting it up for sale here, which was fine by me.

There are times when I miss it, overall it was not for me however.

-JAck

Dieselgeek

TDIClub Enthusiast, Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
2016 Golf TDI
There are hundreds here who have them. Some more people should be able to give reviews soon.

I have a new set of cable ends that I am writing install manuals for this very week. The front to back cable end is billet aluminum with a Heim joint and the side to side gets a pair of hard bushings to get all of the rubber out of the linkage. It really makes for a great shifter! Rubber is the enemy of feel. I should have the new upgrade parts and a version of the Race shifter which includes these parts on the website by next week.

VelvetFoot

Top Post Dawg
TDI
NB, 2000, Yellow
I love mine too, and I've had it several years. I can have my arm on the arm rest and shift with my wrist.

jaydhall

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Passat SE, 1999 NB, 1999.5 Jetta GLS, 2004 Jetta
I think I like it more than my chip!
It has been flawless! When I drive one without the SS, I like it even more! It was SO easy to forget how bad it was. Thanks for a great product!

Ed's TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Bora and 2016 Touareg
I'm the guy who bought Jack's SS kit and, along with my Spec Stage II clutch, am quite happy with the over-all feel, although as Jack mentioned, sometimes a bit more effort is required to shift with this kit than stock. I'm also quite sure that it's got to do with the lack of a counter-weight. I personally like the "snick-snick" feeling of shifting over the "mush-mush" of the OEM setup, but to each their own.