Newbie here... Info on aftermarket clutch master/slave cylinder on 02 Jetta TDI

iamanicegi

TDI
2004 Passat TDI wagon & 2002 Jetta TDI
So I just bought a 2002 Jetta TDI. The guy tells me it needs a clutch and I reluctantly believe him because I know that the slave cylinder and or the clutch master is bad, but I buy a nice Luk clutch setup along with everything else that I needed for the hydraulics... I bought everything on rock auto and without really knowing about the car, I didn't realize what a pain in the neck the original design is with the bleeder on the slave cylinder. I bought the standard centric slave cylinder and standard centric clutch master cylinder. I drove the car home without using the clutch. I started it in first gear and carefully powershifted it all the way home so to me that was nothing really wrong with the clutch but I'll tell by driving it more after I get the hydraulic part sorted out, so I got the hydraulic system fixed first. They are both pieces of crap! Do not buy Centric, lol... After getting everything all bled, 3 pumps and the rod for the clutch master snapped in 2... it's possible because there was no pressure inside it, along with the fact it kind of Wiggles around it may have not been on center, but I've never seen that before... the way they do the original bleeder is terrible; even though that appears that the original is like that, I have ordered Beck Arnley because it looks like they have kind of like a pushrod end instead, along with a metal bleeder... I also ordered a Beck Arnley clutch master because if I lift up on the clutch pedal, the push rod comes out of the clutch master cylinder! So to me something is not right... I had the hydraulic line cut and then had a piece of braided line put in its place because I wasn't sure if it was leaking but I couldn't get it to stop leaking out of the clutch master cylinder. Ends up being I didn't realize is there is a cup seal on the clutch master cylinder side where the little doohickey is plastic. I went to the dealer and they give you two of each, 2 o rings and two cups seals in which you only need one of each, but of course they wanted $35! So it's probably best just to buy a brand new line because I believe that they come with them... I don't know what I just went through with centric Parts is known or not to everyone here so that's why I'm posting... I did have a choice to buy the premium ones and I guess I'd rather have done that but I really wonder about the way it's made so I will let everybody know about how good the beck/arnley parts are...

Last edited:

iamanicegi

TDI
Yeah, I don't mind using them, but when they break instantly, especially on German cars, I go to Beck/Arnley then. My parts should come in by 1pm...

iamanicegi

TDI
So great quality is Beck Arnley... Made of metal... Installed everything and the snap ring inverted and blew out of the slave cylinder... So, there must be something wrong with the pressure plate. The fingers must be frozen or the clutch fork is jammed... Time to do the clutch now...