MK6 RSB Upgrade Caused Tire Wear?

jon-.-

TDI
Jetta
Hello everyone, a couple months ago I installed the Hotchkis RSB on my 2014 Jetta Sedan TDI & it was a noticeable improvement. I used the stiffest setting on the bar & I had to force the passenger side end link into the RSB, it didn't slide in like the driver side.

Well i rotated my tires last week & noticed that both of my rear tires had a scalloped (wavy) excessive wear on the inner edge. Now a week later, the front tires that I rotated to the rear have the beginnings of the same wear pattern.

I'm wondering if it's any way possible that the RSB could be causing this issue or is the rear just out of alignment?

Thanks for any input!

chaoscreature

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI Special Edition
Has anything else changed back there?
The fact that you had to force something on the sway bar sounds a little suspect to me.

Cupped or scalloped tires are often an indicator of worn suspension components and/or improper toe settings.

Post what you find!

redbarron55

Veteran Member
TDI
2012 Touareg TDI Executive
I think the scalloping is caused by excessive rear toe in. It is a common problem for the IRS rear.
Tires need to be rotated often to reduce this and also swapped side for side as well.
I would think that the sway bar would have little effect on the alignment, but who knows?
I have had issues with this scalloping on both my 2009 and 2013 JSWs.
It gets as bad as sounding like bad bearings and CV joints.
You don't say how many miles on the car.
My Michelin Defenders have close to 90,000 miles and were making an awful racket until I rotated them side to side. A real PITA to do, by the way.
My next set of tires I am buying 5 tires and putting the spare (I bought a matching alloy wheel for) into the rotation like the old bias ply tires used.

raider929

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Golf TDI
Did you do an alignment after the install? If you didn't it's likely just out of alignment. I've got an upgraded RSB with no excess tire wear but I did an alignment right after the install.