So I sold my car TWICE, and bought her back TWICE! My 04 PD Rebuild

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Edit: So you can see my Video Log of this TDI found here: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCtVVTrf944pbf4UFJk8DC0A

So I'm having trouble parting ways with my Jetta. It was my first car I purchased back in 2007 straight out of college with 55k miles. I've sold her 2 different times due to going out of country, the first time was to my older brother, the second time to a friend.

When I came home from overseas, the car had been sitting in an apartment parking lot for half a year, all the tires were flat, and the battery dead. Needless to say the car wouldnt start. My brother said he took it to a VW guru and the mechanic said it needed a new engine. My brother told me the bad news so I told him I'd buy it back from him when I arrived back in the U.S. I did just that, took her to the garage, and found out all she needed was an injector wiring harness. She started and ran like a champ!

Unfortunately, I sold the car again to a friend in need. She is a single mom and her car bit the dust. I set her up on a payment plan and tossed her the keys. I knew in the back of my mind I never wanted to see the car go but she needed help and my finances were suffering at the time. Fast forward a year, my friend started dating a guy who bought her a brand new car, so the car just sat. I was working out of Country again and came back to the news she no longer needed the car. I was elated! I knew I wanted the car back. What I came back too was disgusting!

The side mirror had fallen off, there was sticky goo everywhere, as if a fountain of Dr. Pepper was poured into the center console. The cloth seats were in poor shape and there was dog hair everywhere! The door panels cloth was sagging and no longer hanging onto the door card, the headliner was sagging down in your face, and the car had a slow oil leak coming from the pan. The exterior was just as bad. The passenger fender had the strangest dent I've ever seen, the bumpers lip had fallen off and there was a huge scuff mark on the side of the bumper, the chrome trim was missing on the drivers side, the tint was purple and bubbling from being left in the sun, and the car was riding on 4 steelies. Apparently she sold the VW rims.The car was running rough, the AC didnt blow cold anymore, and the transmission wouldn't shift to third.

I was sad to see my baby was suffering, but was so glad to be the sole owner once again. Here is the condition I got the car in when I puttered her back to the garage:

Last edited:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Excuse the bad pics, but here is the weird folding crease in the fender:

Here is the scuff on the bumper:

str8t six

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 GLS TDI
i just dont see how people treat vehicles like that!

hopefully you can bring her back to her former glory!

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
First thing first, I wanted to fix the oil leak. I found out they removed the Diesel Geek Panzer Plate to do a oil change (which inst necessary) and left it off. There was a small hairline crack in the pan causing it to lose a few drops of oil every hour. I ordered a hyrbid and replaced the pan.

Once I got that problem solved, I wanted to fix the A.C. issue. It was blowing foam and dust into my face every time I turned the AC on, I felt a LOT like this:

So after doing research online, I found out the foam mystery and did that HVAC tape mod on the mixing doors. BTW - its definitely haunted past those doors.

Next I found out the main fan wasnt working, and the fuse was blown. I grabbed a new fuse and a Main fan from a GTI. Tossed her in and now my A.C. is blowing ice cold, even at idle! Best the A.C. has ever performed since owning the car:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Next item to tackle was the interior. I must of found 16.54 in loose change in the door pockets. It also smelt like rotten dog angus. The interior was strewn around, and never put back into place. Also dog fur was everywhere! I decided to remove all the interior and carpet and vacuum the heck out of it.

Heres how I found it:

Door Panels:

As I was cleaning up and trying to vacuum the stains out the seats, I remembered seeing a parts vehicle in the salvage yard. It was half price day at pik-a-part and I got full leather interior from a jetta for $100 bob. Here is how my seats looked after replacing to full leather

Last edited:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Next it was time to replace the AC trim. There were some buttons missing and also the vents were broken:

After replacing:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
From being left out in the sun, the steering wheel was deteriorating on the top of the wheel, the tint was also purple and bubbling. I was lucky to find a 3 spoke wheel off a GTI, so I bought and replaced the old tired wheel on my car:

I also bought a hand held steamer from Wally World and removed all the tint from the car.

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Now I needed to tackle the poor running engine. First i replaced the lift pump because in 230k miles it never had been replaced:

Next I Cleaned the intercooler and installed a whitbread Doggie Collar:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
I also got the Headlights removed and cleaned, then removed the headliner and headboard. Im just waiting on material to come in from Jo-Anne's before I can pop the headliner back in:

Thankfully I was able to get the Panzer plate back, as she didnt know what it was nor did she trash it. Im amazed! This is going right back on.

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Instead of riding around on steelies, I found some cheap 17" Enkei's collecting dust in a friends back yard. Yeah, Im not a fan of cheap rims, but these will have to do before I get bags or coils and can properly stance the car with nice wheels:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
So here is how the car sits currently:

Non dented fender got from pik-a-part:

Non scuffed or dented bumper from pik-a-part also. I need to properly align the bumper but for now it will do. Also has the lip! Also the non-yellow headlights. I took off the plastic covers and buffed the yellow off. Next I'll get glass covers. Also got a new grill without the chrome trim, as a few of the chrome bars on the old grill had fallen off.

Last edited:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
No tint, with the wheels, with a few micro dings which I'll have removed soon:)

And whats that in the foreground?? Ohh its my other project, but it sure is nice having a daily driver now other than the Loti.

Last edited:

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Next on the list is to do the timing belt, upgrade the cam, full exhaust, and possibly upgrade the turbo and get a tune.. I'll keep the thread updated as I go.

Sbeghan

Veteran Member
TDI
03 Jetta Wagon 5spd 390k mi
Very impressive. Its really sad what people will do to their cars and not fix. A little bit at a time to keep the car like new isn't hard.

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Finished up headliner today since I received the material in the mail.

Installed:

2.2TDI

Veteran Member
⠀⠀
Am I missing something? In post #5 I see two pedals indicating you have an auto and post 7 and 17 I see 3 pedals and a manual...?

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Am I missing something? In post #5 I see two pedals indicating you have an auto and post 7 and 17 I see 3 pedals and a manual...?

Yeah, wrong pic. Uploading dozens of pics to photobucket. This was the auto I grabbed the mats out of. Too lazy to go back and change it.

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Just got my new key in the mail. More excited about this than anything else. No more manually having to lock and unlock doors. I'm on that 2015 time now

benIV

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 PG 5m Jetta GL Sedan, 2003 RS 5m Jetta GLS Wagon (Golf Variant)
where did you get the new key from?

FreshOntarioBeetle

TDI
2002 New Beetle ALH 01M
Great to see some passion!! Sad it was treated that way.. but is definitely in good hands now. Your friend was very very lucky with that hairline crack in the oil pan. We all know that could have been much worse.

This thread reminds me of yours NarfBlast!

Stealth TDI

Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
2017 GTI APR Stage 3 (395 hp/376 lb-ft)
The 1970's called. It wants that camera back! ;) Oddly-old looking color tones in those photos. But it's a great story! I need to put this kind of energy into my Mk3.

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
Well ordered side chrome trim from a member and tossed it on with 3m aerosol glue I had left over from the headliner.

Before:

After:

Lol, sorry about the 1970's camera. I'm having to use my camera phone and taking pics in a dimly lit storage unit at night don't mesh well.

Also I got the key fob from eBay for like 3$. Just swap over internals.

MartyMcfly

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta
In October I will be putting on a timing belt, new maf, and a few performance mods...stay tuned :)