ALH from 98 bug into 96 Audi S6

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
96 A6 Avant TDI Quattro, 04 Jetta Wagon
Took her on her longest journey yet, down to Toronto for the WT-audi monthly meet. I didn't even bring tools! So far I've used 3/4 of a tank and gone 650km, which is not representative of actual fe since I've done hours worth of idle and diagnostics and quite a bit of hoonage and other than the Toronto trip, 100% short trip town driving. Still better than any tank I've done in an S4/S6 :)

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
First tank fuel economy report!

69.4L, 817km. Or about 8.5l/100km

Not what I would consider GREAT, but considering the tank/weather etc. not too bad! I remember when I got my first 800km tank on the beetle, which was down 1000lb on this car. I'd like to bring that number down to 6L/100km, which I think is entirely doable. And I'd love to see 4.5-5 on a long road trip in the spring, but that might be a bit optimistic :)

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Oh, also ordered some nice badges for the rear :) One that is the period-correct TDI with red I badge, and another that says quattro. Should look factory.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I did have a little video but unfortunately lost it, card corruption. Oh well. The exhaust note on this car is excellent, I'll get some video soon. It is perfectly tolerable inside the car but from outside sounds awesome.

One thing I've noticed is that I've got less smoke. If anything I would have thought I'd have more as I now have a lift pump. Other than the lift pump, no hardware changes to the engine. I think the reason why is the "cold air intake" setup I've got.

Let me explain. While I agree that the stock filter is not a restriction, I 100% believe that the intake routing path is restrictive, or at least not optimal. By removing all those bends and curves and indents and pipe size changes I think I've improved the overall flow of the intake. Not to mention the length of the intake is now about 12" vs... 6 or 7 feet?

The car still smokes, but not like it did in the Beetle, and certainly not like dad's A6. It feels very good despite the 1000lb weight difference. Actually, don't think the car is that much heavier as I saved quite a bit of weight with the straight exhaust and the engine being lighter as well. I would guess the S6 is around 3650lb now.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Just a small update...

My resonator fell off a little while ago. Apparently two tacks weren't good enough to hold it. I also wasn't really that happy with placement, so I heated up and bent the exhaust so it hung higher. Lastly I cut the exhaust back a bit because the big chromed AR25 was pretty gaudy (while it lasted). So I put a new AR25 on and it sounds much better. It seems to kill the turbo whistle, which is unfortunate, but also kills the brutal BWAAAAAA drone on full throttle and some cruise points.

I love driving this car. There absolutely needs to be a factory AWD TDI available here. I get worse MPG but it is so much fun to drive, and it's SO comfy on the highway. 100% the ultimate highway cruiser.

Oh, and I also badged it! Period correct TDI/quattro badges eh! Looks awesome IMO

onlyn8v

Veteran Member
I put a 3" Dynomax "race bullet" muffler - (really nothing more than a cherry bomb) on my old MK3 It killed the drone and still let the car sound like a Garbage truck. I would do it again.

As for needing a stock AWD TDI- I totally with you on that. If I dont make the Jeep TDI happen thats right where Im going to

scubagli

Veteran Member
TDI
1986 audi 4000Q ALH SWAP in progress...
I know it's a large expense, but you should put an 01e Tdi trans in it...get the mileage back.

Sent from crazy town.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Scuba, it's got the 01e and I put a diesel 6th in it. It's more the weight, snow, and Quattro that are hurting mpg.

I'll see if I can get a pic of the mounts soon.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Haha... yeah, Mexico! Can't catch me there!!! :)

I've been compiling a small to-do list since getting it on the road. I need to write it down so I stop thinking of the same things over and over.

• bleed brakes
  • fix power steering (start by replacing pump)
  • reconnect AC - get Audi hoses to work with ALH compressor
  • get rad fan working/setup on some sort of thermo trigger/switch
  • re-install MFTS (multifunction temperature switch) from original harness and put it in the coolant plumbing somewhere
  • fix suspension - rear springs both broke so I installed lowering springs. Now it looks like I have the dead hooker trunk problem.
  • install sound dampening material. WHOOEEE the engine is loud in the cabin, especially in the passenger's side footwell area. I probably need to cover the whole firewall. I wish I would have thought of this while the engine was out. Oh well.
  • perhaps, eventually, re-think my engine mounts. Not the brackets I made, but the mounts themselves. The gasser mounts are A LOT stiffer than diesel mounts and while I love how "connected" the setup is, it's a little... rumbly :)

Last edited:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Power steering fixed! All it needed was a new pump. I also learned that there's a sequence for bleeding the Porsche big reds. So I'll have to try that out and see if it fixes the squishy.

I have a little fuel economy update, on the last tank I did 6.49l/100km. Not too bad, but not great. BUT getting there!

Also unrelated but perhaps someone knows something about this - when I first start the car, it has a "feature" where the first press of the throttle will rev, and then come down and level out. In order to get past it I have to take my foot off the throttle and reapply. Then it's fine until the car is restarted. It's not really a big deal but more of a curiosity.

Last edited:

Jayg

Veteran Member
TDI
'12 Jetta 6MT-VW bought back as a lemon
Love the midset on this build. Nice big comfy car, capable in winter and DIESEL. Perfect.

Tdi Kick

Veteran Member
TDI
91 Sidekick AHU, '05 Passat Variant BHW, '03 Passat Variant BHW 4MO
I have a little fuel economy update, on the last tank I did 6.49l/100km. Not too bad, but not great. BUT getting there!

Also unrelated but perhaps someone knows something about this - when I first start the car, it has a "feature" where the first press of the throttle will rev, and then come down and level out. In order to get past it I have to take my foot off the throttle and reapply. Then it's fine until the car is restarted. It's not really a big deal but more of a curiosity.
I had the exact same problem on the 'Kick. First throttle app on EVERY startup, then fine after that.

Check your brake/clutch switches and wiring. The ECM wants to see them, and will limit the intial throttle application if it doesn't. I actually lived with mine for a couple months, as I hadn't installed the switches, initially. Put 'em in and Voila. Solved.

Great fuel economy numbers! I'm sure they'll only get better, it being winter and getting things dialed in over time.

I so appreciate that car... My next swap needs to be family sized:D

TDIMeister

Phd of TDIClub Enthusiast, Moderator at Large
TDI
TDI
The solenoid valve in the injection pump needs to be replaced. It will likely also trigger an error code. Replace and all will be good. BTDT.

Wait, maybe this is something different. When starting my TDIs I NEVER touch the go-pedal and you never need to either. If there's a momentary spike in RPM right after start-up, the fix is as I described above. But on second read is sounds like it's something else.

Last edited:

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
I had the exact same problem on the 'Kick. First throttle app on EVERY startup, then fine after that.

Check your brake/clutch switches and wiring. The ECM wants to see them, and will limit the intial throttle application if it doesn't. I actually lived with mine for a couple months, as I hadn't installed the switches, initially. Put 'em in and Voila. Solved.

Great fuel economy numbers! I'm sure they'll only get better, it being winter and getting things dialed in over time.

I so appreciate that car... My next swap needs to be family sized:D
Hmm that sounds like that's what it is. I do not have those switches in, didn't think I needed them because it's a 98 ECU without immo. I'll have to see if they're still on the donor vehicle (not in my hands but still accessible).

jjordan11

Veteran Member
TDI
1988 Audi 80 quattro PD130, 1982 Westfalia TDI
Yep, that's what it is. I don't have them hooked up on my Westfalia with it's 97 ECU and it does the same thing. More the brake pedal than the clutch pedal.

chaloux

Veteran Member
TDI
Just as an update - two years ago the crank broke in this beast. About 3000km after I finished the swap. I finally took the engine out of the car last summer and to my surprise the crank broke at one of the rod ends! Not the main like I had thought.

And it also looked as though the rod fasteners had come loose. I DID change the rod bearings while the engine was out - perhaps I did not torque one of the rod caps properly. I'll never know!