MK4 R32 AZV GTB2260 RTDI build

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
I drove to TX and trailered the car back. The car is a wreck. The engine and trans are mounted as well as the turbo and downpipe. The "new" engine ended up have 70k+ on it. The trans is supposed to be an OEM Euro 02M 4motion with TDI gearing. The car was stripped and all the parts crammed into the interior. The body was in perfect condition. I dont know *** happened to it that it needed all this bondo work. He dropped something on the roof and made a dent and broke the window. He left the windows open for years it seems because the entire interior is coated with thick grimed up dust.

I want to build it myself now, but Im a little worried that Ill have trouble passing the NY title inspection with a TX salvage title and Euro engine #'s once its done. Does anyone know if Ill have a problem?

I guess Ill start by finding the ECU and engine harness. I should have a modded cluster and matching keys, too.

Does anyone have any info on where to get wiring diagrams/pin outs for the AZV?

The radiator mount I have is supposed to be Euro and able to fit an S3 I/C behind the bumper. Unfortunately he sold parts of the car off and I didnt get a bumper. UHG :mad:

Man there is a lot to do! Im going to need some help from the forum with this one!

Pics:

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yb1teopda7fyyju/AAAfC7y3pqzrJhAiKTFinL9ia?dl=0

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
That there is a BKD. Pretty different from an ASZ.

Isn't this the R32 Steve in Fort Worth was selling a few years ago? Did you buy it?

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
I dont know what an ASZ is. My understanding is that the BKD/AZV were the same 16 valve engine but with different stock power outputs. Yes, steve

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
I dont know what an ASZ is. My understanding is that the BKD/AZV were the same 16 valve engine but with different stock power outputs. Yes, steve
ASZ is an 8V head...very similar to the BEW we get stateside. It is also a 1.9L whereas yours is a 2L.

To answer your question...you'll need to obtain the wiring diagram. From there I can share the BJS (3.2 VR6) pinout and you'll have to match up to what you find for the BKD. Hopefully it is similar to the 8V PD which I'll share matched up to the BJS - there were very minimal modifications to wire the 8v EDC16 PD engine into the R32 for ELEMENTs car. Again, hopefully the BKD is just as easy...I have no experience with that engine so maybe others will comment.

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
ASZ is an 8V head...very similar to the BEW we get stateside. It is also a 1.9L whereas yours is a 2L.

To answer your question...you'll need to obtain the wiring diagram. From there I can share the BJS (3.2 VR6) pinout and you'll have to match up to what you find for the BKD. Hopefully it is similar to the 8V PD which I'll share matched up to the BJS - there were very minimal modifications to wire the 8v EDC16 PD engine into the R32 for ELEMENTs car. Again, hopefully the BKD is just as easy...I have no experience with that engine so maybe others will comment.

Well, I found the ECU, cluster, and keys. The turbo to exhaust manifold is missing a bolt. The engine is a little askew. Should I pull the motor and do anything like a pd170 crank or arp head studs? Now is the time...

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
04 Jetta GLS TDI, 04 RTDI
Well, I found the ECU, cluster, and keys. The turbo to exhaust manifold is missing a bolt. The engine is a little askew. Should I pull the motor and do anything like a pd170 crank or arp head studs? Now is the time...
It's great to see you're making some progress on the car. It sucks that Steve tore the car apart with no real rhyme or reason...like why were the seats removed along with certain panels and then to dent the car, which caused the glass to break is careless on his part. :mad:
If only you had been able to pull the car from his clutches sooner, it wouldn't be in as rough shape as it is at the moment. Sadly all 3 of us had to learn the hard way that Steve never intended to follow through on these builds.:(

Anywho...I'm looking forward to seeing what you have planned for the car and with the right supporting mods you will have one fast car on your hands, heck, it might even be faster than mine by the time you're all said and done. ;)

For the engine build... use this thread as your guide. http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=403431
I believe that ryanp has a fast BKD based car on here too.

Good luck with your build and when you get it finished you can bring it to Road America for a track day and see how it compares to my car. :D

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
Nope, I've basically given up on that. I've pretty much decided to put my built 1.8T engine in it. It's so much easier and more power. I have a 3.0L Ecodiesel Ram 1500 that seems to be satisfying my diesel wants. I did compounds on it. It's faster than the RTDI would ever be, too.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Did you end up selling the BKD engine to someone?

A high horsepower 1.8T/2.0T stroker engine would make for a fun car. Install one of these and you'd be all set. ;)
https://www.ecodetuning.com/ie-sport-stroker-long-block-1-8t-20v-engine-transverse-06a-vvt-hybrid-oil-pan-w-o-sensor-awp-valve-cover-.html

Either way, sucks to see that the car didn't get completed, but it sounds like you've moved onto bigger and better things.

If you do swap a 1.8T/2.0T into the R32 shell, please start a build thread over on VWVortex and if you could post the link to that thread it would be much appreciated. :)

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
Ok, I will start a thread but it's been done before. I didn't sell the AZV engine. My 1.8T trans died and I'm not sure if I'll use the AZV trans for the R18. I need to look at the ratios vs a gasser 02M. Meanwhile, my other R32 is almost done with EFR 8374 which ate all the money like ****ing pacman! I'm almost ready to swap the 1.8T which I will do myself. It doesn't seem difficult. How's your car?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
Depending on how much power you're planning on getting out of your 1.8T or 2.0T if you build a stroker motor out of a 1.8T, it's definitely a possibility to use the AZV trans.

I can only imagine how expensive it is to turbo a R32 the right way and still have it reliable enough to drive it on the street during the week and then take it to the track on the weekend for some fun. :eek:
Do have a build thread for this R32, since it would be awesome to see what you've done to this car!

Good luck with swapping the 1.8T into the other R32 shell. Like you mentioned, it's been done before, so I'm sure you can get some help along the way if you get stuck on something.

My car has been doing pretty good. Late November/early December we took the car to Road Atlanta for a couple track days, which was a lot of fun! :D There are some pictures and video in my build thread if you wanna check it out.
Otherwise, we need to do some typical maintenance items that come from tracking a car, like bleed the brakes, rotate the tires, check all of the fluids, and nut n' bolt the car to make sure everything is tight.

I'm looking forward to the next season here, that's coming up pretty soon. :cool:

Good luck with your cars and I'm looking forward to seeing how they turn out. :)

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
Anyone want to buy this project? I want to sell it but I cant figure out how to F*cking post a pic.

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
To post a picture you can either upload it to the TDIClub photo gallery and then link that picture in your post. Your other option is to open an account on an image hosting site like... imgur.com or imgbb.com or imgbox.com
After you upload your photos to the image hosting site, copy the forums link they have as an option and then paste it here.
I know that there's a tutorial posted somewhere on here that walks you through every step if you need more help.

It's unfortunate to hear that you're selling your car, but sometimes we have to move on from our project cars.
You could post it for sale on Facebook and see if you can find someone interested in buying it. Otherwise post it in the vehicle classifieds on here as well.
Good luck with selling it.
Out of curiosity, how much are you asking for it?

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
I posted it on VWVortex for $10k and everyone made fun of me, lol. How much do you think its worth?

3L3M3NT

Veteran Member
TDI
I'm honestly not sure. What is the current state of the car? Post up some pictures when you get a chance, since that'll help to see what kinda condition the car is in.

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
about what I'd expect from vortex:.

burpod

teh stallionz!!1
TDI
82 rabbit vnt ahu, 98 jetta vnt ahu, 05 parts car, 88 scirocco.. :/
lol, looks like a mess of a car.. i don't think you're gonna get anywhere close to what you think it's "worth". i mean, who knows how many owners, salvage title, body and interior all gone to hell, how much it's been molested and what sort of condition any of the expensive euro goodies are that make it even worthwhile to glance at. looks more like a $1k car for someone that wants to give themselves a huge headache of a project

greengeeker

Vendor
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS
Sad to say it though, you have to consider the cost to finish the car. Sounds like it needs a bunch of mechanical work, body work and a full respray, a front bumper, interior work, wiring?, and who knows what else.

To me, the value in the car is:
  • the BKD
  • euro AWD transmission
  • clutch?
  • R32 AWD swap bits
  • Aristos
  • Other (I don't know the full build sheet)
I'm sorry, I know you have a lot into this and I can only imagine what you must be going through to throw in the towel at this point. I think the "tdiclub trusted" mechanic that hosed you should be refunding you some $.

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32
Sadly, i agree. I would rather not sell it on ebay? Anyone want to buy the chassis for like $2500? Anyone interested in the BKD engine/trans/tubular manifold/ and matching RTDI gauges/ECU? PM me. Its too difficult to post pics on TDI club these days. Rear seats are great condition. Front seats need new leather. My dream of RTDI is over 😥

thor001

TDI
MK4 GL TDI / MK4 R32

jimbote

Certified Volkswagen Nut
TDI
Tacoma 4x4 converted to TDI
Honestly, you're going to do better parting it out but I don't think you're going to get anywhere near 10K even doing it that way. It's a real bummer the car got neglected like that by the mechanic.