700 Mile club Who's in?

Nevada_TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta TDI
I failed to do the math sooner...a few years ago with the cruise set at 75 MPH (really 72 MPH) I got 52 MPG at every fill up from Reno to Tulsa, Ok., and back. I actually got over 800 miles per tank.
I was running an 18 PSI tune with .205 nozzles from Franko6, I guess I need to have Franko6 set up my .216's for my current 24 PSI tune. I drive easy and my FE really sucks, high 30's to maybe 40 once in a while, but 95% of my driving is in town.

Sting

Well, I'm 3 months into my ALH TDI ownership and loving it. I use the ACar app on my phone to track fill ups.

My 3 month average has been 4.853 L/100 km (48.46 MPG US). I fill it to the brim every time. I've covered over 17,000 km so far. I've done one oil change and just recently changed air filter and fuel filter. Happy as a clam with it's performance... 17 years old and over 540K km (just shy of 325K miles).

Last edited:

NewTdi

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Bora, Reflex Silver
I have been getting well over 700 miles per tank for a while; I just learned how to keep my foot off the throttle and installed a taller 5th gear. On a recent trip TO/FROM Arizona I averaged 54mph with about 1000lbs load in the car. I don’t want to find out how big the tank is on the wagon but I was told 16 gallons which in theory should get me to +/-825 miles.

Turbo_Dan

TDI
2000 Jetta, 2010 Golf & 2012 Golf
A few years ago three of us drove my 2010 Golf TDI from just North of D.C. to Chicago, 714 miles before I filled up. It cost about $37 to get three of us to Chicago.

DivineChaos

Top Post Dawg
TDI
mk6 jetta sportwagen tdi
I just got 506 and put on 14.2 gal. Right up to the spout. Last fill I didn't. So I probably only used 13.9gal. but for a mk6 jsw with a dpf and stage 2. In the winter.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
850.4 miles on 15.64 gallons and due to a either on/off high volume pump nozzle it was difficult to top off completely but I could see fuel a few inches from the fill neck so maybe could have gotten another couple tenths of a gallon in there.
Low fuel light came on at 840 miles so I could have gone a bit further (900 miles possible) but there was no other fuel stops past the point of no return.
Rural two lane work commute about 80 miles one way. Mostly 60 mph cruise set and a week of virtually no traffic or winds. Below freezing temps mostly but nothing below 0F (yet).

013_TDI

TDI
(2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0 - Sold) 2014 Audi A6 3.0 TDI Premium Plus Sport Edition
736.9 miles/1,185.93 km on one tank of fuel per MFI. My commute is driven mostly at 55 mph/88.51 kph 5 days a week and some errands and trips to the local gym.

2013 Passat TDI SE 2.0 stock, no tunes or performance upgrades. Fuel light was on and the needle was at zero. 17.3 gallons/65.49 liters of fuel was added to the tank. Tires are at 32 psi per the sticker on the door. Software update was Volkswagens emissions fix for my vehicle.

Last edited:

derek5120

Veteran Member
TDI
2003 jetta GLS
Best I’ve ever got was 1184km or 735miles this was with a car full of people bombing down to Ottawa and back from Waterloo. Funny part is I wasn’t driving fuel efficient for the majority of the trip, but it was all highway so I guess I got away with it. Never could do better because I alway towed a boat down there after that.

TurboABA

Top Post Dawg
TDI
RIP-2010 Jetta 6spd 2014 Touareg Execline
I've done as much as 1100 km on my 2010 CR all highway, so I would think that you guys with older, lighter, DPF-less vehicles (or larger wagon\Passat tanks) should be able to get into this "club" quite easily......

taleAwaggin

Veteran Member
TDI
rollin in my two point oh, panoramic back so my hair can blow
What I want to know is who did it with the smallest tank.. out of 64 pages of posts.

I have done this in my van but the tank is twice the size of my car.

jettawreck

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2001 Jetta and 2003 Jetta
What I want to know is who did it with the smallest tank.. out of 64 pages of posts.

I have done this in my van but the tank is twice the size of my car.
Since it's in a VW TDI forum, it's a pretty safe bet all the referenced examples are/should be as such. Yeah, I can do 700 miles in my Suburban, but it's 40 gallons instead of 15.
700 miles is no challenge to even get to the low fuel light with the Jetta(s). 800 miles is common. 900 is a bit rare but doable with my old MklV ALH engines.

Last edited:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
I think, but am not sure, I've seen someone get a 700 mile tank on a 2015 Golf or GSW, which has a 13.2 gallon tank. That would require getting 55 MPG or more, which would be impressive.

Metta

TDI
2001 Jetta
700 Mile club Who\'s in?
I am in. 2001 TDi with regular 610- 620. 35 psi. 65 mph mostly highway. I am 850 miles from turning 300K. The car looks a little haggard but runs really nice. I have checked mpg just about every time I fill up: 49- 51, with roof racks.
I know, roof racks?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I filled last Sunday on a drive to NY. 732 miles. Low fuel light wasn't on, but prices on the road I was on were all over the place so I stopped at a station that had a low price. Took 15 gallons. 48.8 MPG. I was trying to stick to 75 on the highway (OK, 80 some of the time). I think it helped.

gmenounos

Vendor
TDI
'99.5 Golf GLS, '01 Jetta GLX Wagon (TDI conversion)
I filled last Sunday on a drive to NY. 732 miles. Low fuel light wasn't on, but prices on the road I was on were all over the place so I stopped at a station that had a low price. Took 15 gallons. 48.8 MPG. I was trying to stick to 75 on the highway (OK, 80 some of the time). I think it helped.
Just wondering how much you run your AC on a trip like that. I only got about 44 MPG on a long highway trip to Atlanta earlier this year. I do have 16" wheels and a roof rack, so that explains some of it, though I was driving slower than you. But I do have Climatronic, which unless you have it set to Econ (I didn't), will run the compressor whenever it feels like it.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
I probably ran the A/C for about half that tank. It was also a mix of highway, commuting, and some suburban stop-and-go driving. I have new tires, 215 width, which I think are negatively affecting my FE. And I think my alignment is a bit off, going to have it checked next week. With the 195 series tires and good alignment I would expect 50 MPG in similar driving.

rhino89523

TDI
1997 Passat
I got 832 on a recent run from reno to LA then down to the Salton Sea to pick up a dog. It took 17.5 gallons to fill it back up so I was really low on fuel in a 1997 Passat....18G tank but you can pop another 1/2 gallon or so in the neck. So that drive I averaged 47mpg....I did worse coming home because I cranked the AC until I got back into the mountains. I drive poor and don't hypermile, on the way there I probably averaged around 80mph and floored it up every hill.

Aztraveler

Veteran Member
TDI
Sold 2014 Jetta back to VW in 2016. In Oct 2020 Bought 2015 Passat TDI SE CPO
It has been a few years ago. My best tank was in my previous 2014 Jetta TDI manual. 662 miles, from my brother's home in Warren MI, to mine in Charlotte NC. 53 MPG. It had a 14.5 gallon tank, car took about 12.5 gallons to fill, once I got home. Kept speed generally 65 mph or less. Should have easily gone over 700 on that tank.

No longer have the Jetta, bought back by VW.

Now have a 2015 Passat TDI SE

IndigoBlueWagon

TDI
Filled my Wagon today, almost identical to the one a few posts above, 726 miles, 15 gallons. Looked at Fuelly and this was my 301st fill since I started keeping track, a little over 215K miles. Average is 716 miles per tank.

Rob Mayercik

Veteran Member
TDI
2002 Jetta GLS, Baltic Green/Beige
What is "venting"?
The MKIV cars have a little button in the top of the filler neck (about the 9 o'clock position if you're looking into the thing) that actuates a vent to let air into/out of the tank. This is normally depressed (vent open) when the cap is on so the engine doesn't pull a vacuum on it while pulling fuel to run, causing either fuel starvation or the tank to crush itself from the vacuum.

"Venting" means pressing that button with the pump nozzle while filling/topping off the tank, so that you can get another 1.5-2 gallons in by filling right to the brim of the filler neck. This would cause a gas car problems because of their evaporative emissions systems, but diesels don't have that stuff. A lot of the long-time MKIV owners actually have removed the button altogether, making the vent permanently open (for how to do this, search for "ventectomy"), so we don't have to fuss with the vent button while fueling.

The other benefit of "venting" is that by always filling to the same level, your MPG calculations (miles traveled divided by gallons added) becomes more accurate/consistent because the number of gallons has much less variability in it (using the pump's auto-shutoff point leads to inaccuracy because of tolerances in the pump mechanism, foaming of the fuel, and so forth).