just got my Kerma DSG tune!!!

assaultwagen

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
I just matched my kerma tune with their DSG tune. This is a definite must! The process was very simple. Much like using the Qpro, you connect the supplied connecter to your transmission data port under your air intake box and download the factory info from the transmission and upload it. The software is sent to you in a link along with easy to fallow instructions. Then simply email it to kerma tuning and in a few hours, or less, you will have your performance tune. Uploading is simple, you can now upload it via the obdII port.

The new tune is great. In D, it keeps your rpm's in peak performance range to help you get better mpg, increases available torque (you can really feel it), and firms up the shifts. The sport mode is a whole different beast. It keeps your rpm's at peak torque and snaps the rpm gauge when you get on it. It also holds rpm's better and decelerates like a dsg should. The shifts are much more firm without feeling too rough while still pushing you back into the seat. It now performs like running in manual mode without the lag or sloppy slow shifts.

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Intriguing. Sure would like to try before I buy.
I would guess you're out of warranty, too?

Kinda got lost among your uses of "it" above.

Supplied connector connects transmission to... what? Where is the connector supplied from?
Download stock factory info from the transmission and upload "it". What "it" and upload to where?
"The Tune"? SW is sent to you in an email link. Doesn't come with the "supplied connector"?
Then simply email "it" to Kerma... What am I emailing to Kerma and why?
After I upload whatever to Kerma, my performance tune in a couple hours. What's happening during that time?

frank

swcrow17

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Golf TDI DSG
Agreed...interested to know more, but gotta throw in more details. What software are you using to "rip" the stock transmission info? Does it save it as a certain type of file?

What are you using to upload the new tune to your transmission? Coming from a passat, I had to send my TCU away for GIAC to program it, but then again, it was an 02 model...no port.

assaultwagen

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Sorry, I can give a more technical how to.

At the moment you must still use a kess v2 tuner to program dsg transmissions. Kerma is nice that they do not rent the tool, but do require a deposit on the kess unit. Once you receive the kess tuner in the mail, you will also receive an email from kerma with the free kstudio software and how to instructions on getting to the transmission data port. The kess unit comes with a special cable that will plug into the dsg data port located under the air intake box. The plug has 4 parts. The data plug you plug into the dsg data port (cannon plug), a on off switch to send power to the trans, power leads to the battery, and the end plug that goes into the kess unit (black box). Hook the data plug into the transmission, power cords to the battery, then the data plug into the kess. The kess unit will then plug into a computer via a usb cable. You will then open kstudio and fallow the instructions given by kerma to download the stock transmission info. It will save it as a file. Email the file to kerma with the supplied email address. Within a few hours they will email you the new dsg tune. Save the file to your pc. Now you reassemble your car as you no longer need under the hood. Take the obdII cord supplied and connect it to the data port on the kess unit. Then the usb to your computer. Fallon the instructions on the screen and open the new tune file. It will automatically write the new tune with the ignition in the on position. It takes about 15 minutes to write the new file. Unhook and your done. I made some crappy videos on you tube if you want a visual. My handle is "not so slim jim"

fxk

Veteran Member
TDI
2014 Sportwagen TDI
Thanks, that clarifies quite a bit.
Sounds like Kerma requires the specific individual transmission base file to modify. (rather than a generic DSG tran file)
Seems odd that to download the new transmission code one does not use the data port for the tran, but the OBD port.
I'll check the videos.

Seems convoluted, but nothing a carmaker does to reprogram anything is anything but straightforward.

Thanks for sharing, and the clarification.

So I guess if one wanted to revert to the stock tune (for warranty reasons) one would have to come up with a Kess unit to do so.

Still would love to drive one first...
frank

assaultwagen

TDI
2012 jetta sportwagen
Yes, that is an unfortunate drawback to the dsg tune. I have spoke with people from kerma, malone, and alienware, all are working on a way to use the newer uploader to download and upload dsg tunes via obdII port. I would buy a kess v2 slave myself, but the $2,000 price tag is a bit much for my one car. Hopefully they will crack the coding soon so we can use the Qpro to upload.

Last edited:

Face76

Veteran Member
TDI
12 JSW TDI
I believe Malone uses a similar method to upgrade the DSG tune. I need to get on their wait list...