Loose feeling front end when driving???

mcarlito

Veteran Member
TDI
'03 Jetta wagon TDI
Hello, 2003 tdi jetta wagon, original owner, 270,000 miles. My front end seems to have a loose feel when I'm driving. 231,000 did koni Front struts and rear arm bushings, 223,000 koni rear shocks, 244,000 left and right inner CV joints, and 268,000 front axle bearings both sides. What can I do to tighten up the front end??
thank you

I'm never giving this car up. The best car I've owned so far.:D:D

Tdijarhead

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 TDI Jetta Daughters Car, 2001 TDI Beetle, Wife’s car, 2005 Golf TDI Mine, all 5 spds
Jack it up. Put your hands at the 12 and 6 o'clock position and wiggle the tire. Does it move? Is so, that is probably a wheel bearing. Hands at 3 and 9 position wiggle again. Does it move this time? If so probably a tie rod, usually the outer tie rod end. Careful you don't mistake steering wheel movement for a bad tie rod. Have a helper hold the steering wheel.

Get a small pry bar, place between lower control arm and steering knuckle right next to the ball joint being careful of the ball joint dust boot. If you pry up or down do you have any movement? If so probably a ball joint. Your tires on a properly maintained front end should have no side to side or up and down movement of any kind.

How does the strut top look where it protrudes into xthe engine compartment? Is the gap between the car strut tower top and the strut bearing cap more that a quarter to a half an inch? Does you front end pop a little bit when you turn the wheel? If so strut bearings need replacing. Does it look like this?

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=416531
Check your front end thoroughly the rubber bushings are also a source of wear and can make for a loose front end. Visually inspect and wiggle if you can.

mark8812

TDI
2000 jetta, 2004 jetta wagon
On my 2000 replacing the front LCA bushings with TT bushing really helped out before changing them if I would make a slight steering adjustment the front of the car would seem to float side to side

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using Tapatalk