Anyone ever gone down to a 10mm pump on an auto?

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
I have the opportunity to get a 10mm pump for a really good price and on short notice...I however have an automatic. Anyone see any difficulty with this?

I do also have .205's on my car. Would this:
1. Give better milage slightly reduced power than now.
2. Reduce fueling so much I can't drive properly.

I need opinions and thoughts from people who may have thought this through more thoroughly than myself.

Thanks.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2014 Audi A6 TDI, 2014 Touareg TDI
It will certainly reduce power. Why would you want to bother changing it?

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...
Re: Anyone ever gone down to a 10mm pump on an aut

Because my IP is dead and I am a looking for alternatives. I can get a 10mm (58000km) for a really good price or an 11mm (history unknown) for 600CDN, or a 12mm with 15,000km on the conversion from a wrecked car through someone for not much more. If the concensus is "this is too little fuel to drive/bad" then I'll just go the larger of the two routes and smoke till I get a chip.

I was just thinking that if a 5spd can get away nicely with .205's and a 10mm, (I know I'll make less due to the tranny) then why can't I make it work and get some better milage while I am at it.

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

It will certainly work but you will have less power. Do you know what is dead in yours? Smog is pretty good at rebuilding pumps.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...

Smog just emailed me back and he is SOL right now too with no IP's available

Radman

Top Post Dawg
TDI

Yes I know both his TDI's are down right now. I would go with the 11mm if possible.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI

It will reduce power (will still make more than stock due to the bigger injectors) and not affect fuel consumption. Depending on the money and urgency, I don't see a problem with it.

10mm pump with the original teeny injectors would be bad news, but since you already have bigger ones, it will work fine.

Slave2school

Top Post Dawg
TDI
99.5 used to at least...

Thanks for the info guys. You have sort of helped me make up my mind. Now I am strongly leaning toward the high end of the scale, I don't think I would want a whole lot less than I have power wise, and if there is no added benefit of reduced consumption, I might as well go all the way and make it an "upgrade/fix" all in one. (I don't know if you'd call the abillity to overfuel that grossly an upgrade, but I can suffer with a little bit of smoke til I can afford to get a proper chip). My car already shoots up to the 19psi sustained area so smoke shouldn't be as bad as some may think, and I have a pseudo OMI on the car too that greatly reduced smoke after I got my .205's on there. I am probably a bit insane, but to me that seems to be the way to go, overkill with the opportunity to make a really fast car when the $$$ permit...

Ynot

Veteran Member
TDI
Golf, 2K GLS, Black

You should go for the best you can afford. Hindsight being what it is, you sure do not want to go back and have to do the work again. Try and stay with the 11 mm if you can. If you buy the 10mm you could get an upgrade kit later to put onto that. Tough place to be in when $ dictate what you can do.

Ynot