EPA Voids Approval Of Vehicles Imported From China

RNDDUDE

Veteran Member
TDI
2011 Jetta Sportwagen TDI
Does that mean the Chinese officials (gasp) lied? (gasp). I am shocked, shocked I tell you....

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
^ +1 ...

Whenever someone has asked me about various Chinese-brand motorcycles, I've always told them to spend the extra money and buy a Honda or Yamaha. It's just better that way.

edit: A quick Google search reveals that this is not the first time that this has happened, either.

Last edited:

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
No kidding. If China (collectively) starts recognizing that compliance with a standard means that you actually have to comply with the standard before affixing the mark or writing the document that says you comply with the standard, the rest of the world had better look out. But, I suspect that doing so would raise the prices of their products to the extent that they no longer have a competitive advantage.

I do equipment inspections (industrial stuff) for a living, and at the moment, it's not unusual for anything made in China to have to be stripped down and rewired - although, that has happened with US-made equipment, too, when someone makes the mistake of assuming that Canada is the same as the US ... notably (and to give but one example), 480-volt equipment doesn't like it when someone plugs it into a 600-volt supply; tends to make the smoke come out ...

EJS

Veteran Member
TDI
2009 Jetta
Does that mean the Chinese officials (gasp) lied? (gasp). I am shocked, shocked I tell you....
LMAO

I asked a Chinese woman I worked with (her life under Mao stories are also fascinating) about the lack of QA in China. Her reply was "they have no face" (unlike the Japanese).

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
China? Lied? No way. How could the same folks that brought us children's toys full of lead paint and tainted drywall full of mold spores possibly lie about a motorcycle? Surely this article is in error.

Lug_Nut

TDIClub Enthusiast, Pre-Forum Veteran Member
TDI
idi: 1988 Bolens DGT1700H, the other oil burner: 1967 Saab Sonett II two stroke
Deliberate copying and counterfeiting of protected designs, underage child workers in factories, no governmental safety requirements, dangerous food adulteration, .... These aren't Chinese issues, these are what made America great in the early 1800's.

Been there, done that.
At least we didn't have nukes as well as millions of excess males due to single child policies... now there's a chilling thought.

Judson

Veteran Member
TDI
2001 Jetta
Edited....

Comparing any modern country to something 200 years ago will always be a foolish exercise.

Last edited:

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
I remember when "made in Japan" was the joke of the day......;)
Japan was always and still does produce the best steel on the planet. No one makes a better knife IMO. Post war they where forced to produce some real crap but that was under westerners direction. I'd still take the first Honda or Toyota car made over the latest Chinese car made today. I've been in a few China cars and your better off eating lead then driving one.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
Japan was always and still does produce the best steel on the planet. No one makes a better knife IMO. Post war they where forced to produce some real crap but that was under westerners direction. I'd still take the first Honda or Toyota car made over the latest Chinese car made today. I've been in a few China cars and your better off eating lead then driving one.
I bought an new 1974 (or 5?) Civic when I moved to Detroit in the mid-70's. Nice little car and was the first year of the "big" Civic.

We were storing Japanese steel coils in our empty warehouse where I worked since we were next to the Detroit Harbor Terminal where they entered port. My father-in-law was working for Bethlehem Steel at the time and about to be laid off because of Japanese imports. I never did tell him about the car or any of the steel we were storing. So long U.S. steel industry.....:rolleyes:

Last edited:

oilhammer

TDI
My parents bought a '77 Accord brand new (second model year). It had fist-sized rust holes in it by '81, when it was traded for a solid, still new looking, 1975 Volkswagen Bus (which was still on the road in 1994 when I finally put it out to pasture).

Those Accords had awful problems with the body rusted away where the control arms mounted, often this would happen while the outside of the body still looked decent. It was a well assembled, good running car, made from the worst metals money could buy. Even my uncle's Fiat 128 purchased around the same time didn't rust as bad.

Amazing how far Honda has come. And sad that their newer cars have turned into bloated whales.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
I never did tell him about the car or any of the steel we were storing. So long U.S. steel industry.....:rolleyes:
I was the first one in my family to buy and park a Japanese Truck at the farm. I woke up the next morning with it sitting on blocks and the interior filled with rice:( Think it took me 4-5 hours to get all that damn rice out of the carpet and cracks.

Today most of them have at least one Japanese vehicle:rolleyes:

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
My parents bought a '77 Accord brand new (second model year). It had fist-sized rust holes in it by '81
fist sized rust holes in 4 years? I still see those late 70's Honda's running around here. I guess its amazing what frequent wash's and a garage will do for cars.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I was the first one in my family to buy and park a Japanese Truck at the farm. I woke up the next morning with it sitting on blocks and the interior filled with rice:( Think it took me 4-5 hours to get all that damn rice out of the carpet and cracks.

Today most of them have at least one Japanese vehicle:rolleyes:
That's funny!

To OH: I drove the Civic about 40,000 miles until I was hit head on in Connecticut Christmas Eve 1977. I spent three weeks in the hospital with a bunch of broken bones, etc. I never did get to see the car rust away, but I am sure it became a parts car after I owned it.

oilhammer

TDI
fist sized rust holes in 4 years? I still see those late 70's Honda's running around here. I guess its amazing what frequent wash's and a garage will do for cars.
And lack of freeze/thaw road salt. You won't find many old Hondas around here, and even fewer in the Michigan area. Of course, I'm in CO once a year at least, can't say I've seen any there either, so I'm gonna call BS on that one.

I've not seen a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen Accord on the road here in a LONG time. Used to service quite a few of the 3rd gen ones... ugh, I still remember the carburetors :rolleyes: I think Honda still had a carb'd Accord in '91, even though the injected SE-i version came out on the 2nd gen way back in '85.

Of course, you'll counter anything I say anyways, my TDIless friend, as always. ;)

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
And lack of freeze/thaw road salt. You won't find many old Hondas around here, and even fewer in the Michigan area. Of course, I'm in CO once a year at least, can't say I've seen any there either, so I'm gonna call BS on that one.

I've not seen a 1st, 2nd, 3rd or 4th gen Accord on the road here in a LONG time. Used to service quite a few of the 3rd gen ones... ugh, I still remember the carburetors :rolleyes: I think Honda still had a carb'd Accord in '91, even though the injected SE-i version came out on the 2nd gen way back in '85.
We Coloradan's never see any freezing or road salts:rolleyes: The big difference between Misery and Colorado is humidity.

LoL.....I'd take some pictures but i doubt it would change anything in your closed mind.

I have a 90 Acura with fuel injection and dual overhead cams. My old 92 Accord commuter which also had fuel injection is still running. Both were rust free but the accord rear fenders are now rusting out but i doubt my niece has ever washed it in the last 4-years. Want pictures of either vehicle;)? The Acura is flipping mint with original paint.

BTW carburetors on Accords ended with the 2nd gen, fuel injection was introduced here in 85 so you had the option in the 2nd gen models. None of the US Accords in the 3rd Gen had carburetors, the vigor 1.6L shipped elsewhere did.

You cant swing a dead cat here without hitting a 4th Gen Accord

Just a 4min browse in crookslist, all pretty damn rust free considering their 20+ years old.

http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3730766420.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3721278926.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/ctd/3730101969.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3696572405.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3729831748.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3729551153.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3729246524.html
http://denver.craigslist.org/cto/3728535225.html

Your area
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/3730761522.html
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/ctd/3723147587.html
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3728607783.html
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3727981181.html
http://stlouis.craigslist.org/cto/3724514274.html
zzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzzz

oilhammer

TDI
The 3rd gen Accord had a carburetor on some trim levels. (the one with the flip-down headlamps). I work on cars for a living, chief. 1989 2.0L SOHC 2bbl made by Keihin. Worked on loads of them. I am certain I forgotten more about Honda automobiles than most will ever know, including YOU. The '85 SE-i got EFI, and that was an OPTIONAL trim package. Civics still had carbs in '87, then the dual-point PGMFI came out (upper and lower injected TBI) in '88 as standard... there were optional EFI Civics before that. CF, DX, HX, Si, I've worked on 'em all.

It is truly laughable you try and school me on my Hondas, LMAO!!! :p

I've probably bought and sold some 50+ Hondas over the years. Early EFI Hondas had an 'i' on their backsides. You'd think someone that has spent so much time washing them would know that, eh?

Did they boot you out of a Honda forum yet? You know Colorado is not considered a rust belt state, right? And believe it or not, there are actually humans that live outside of your little world... heck, some of us even drive (*GASP*) Volkswagens... EVERY DAY!!! The THOUGHT of it! Oh noes!!!! And we live only 600 FEET above sea level! OMG!!!! We have different experiences!

Oh, and the VERY FIRST link in my area of cars for sale shows a GIANT RUST HOLE in the side of the body! DURRRRR!!!! Now even YOU can see that, can't you? That is rust free? Not to mention the general lack of paint on 90% of the horizontal panels. Well clearly you and I have a very different opinion on what is a rust hole and what isn't. And guess what? I've seen what the UNDERSIDE of those crap bombs look like!

Last edited:

Lee_Taylor

Veteran Member
TDI
Audi A3 1.4 COD
Not sure I entirely agree with you on the quality of Japanese steel, particularly stainless steel. Their swords were/are first class but I have a set of "stainless" steel cutlery from Japan that is now quite rusty and I had a "stainless" steel exhaust on a Honda VFR 750 that rotted out. Fortunately there are still some real stainless steel manufacturers in Sheffield who do know how to make stainless steel. That said I go out of my way to avoid anything Chinese . Made in Japan when I was a kid and made in Hong Kong meant crap. These days I would have no hesitation in buying Japanese stuff, but I still wont by Chinese if it can be avoided.

aja8888

Top Post Dawg
TDI
Out of TDI's
I remember the old Japanese stuff like this (1959 - 1962 by Eye Candy);

Made in Japan.

The Japanese took a lot of their styling cues from American automobiles of the late 50's - early 60's era. Note the beautiful gold shield shaped grille. The top is reverse painted plastic in gold with a silver chevron for the station tuning window. These reverse paint transistors are highly prized amongst collectors because of their jewel or candy like appearance when viewed at an angle in the light.

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
It is truly laughable you try and school me on my Hondas, LMAO!!! :p

Oh, and the VERY FIRST link in my area of cars for sale shows a GIANT RUST HOLE in the side of the body! DURRRRR!!!! Now even YOU can see that, can't you? That is rust free? Not to mention the general lack of paint on 90% of the horizontal panels. Well clearly you and I have a very different opinion on what is a rust hole and what isn't. And guess what? I've seen what the UNDERSIDE of those crap bombs look like!
LoL your ego never lets me down:D

You claimed the Accord still had carburetors in 91 and it did not. The A20A1 ended in 89 on the DX and LX. I had a 87 with the A20A3 yes the one with the flip up headlights. I did forget they still offered the A1 in the Gen 3 era which was carbonated (quick burn me at the stake).

You also claimed "I have not seen 1-4th Gen's" in my parts in a long time. The links where simply showing that your eyesight might not be as spectacular as you think. They are 20+ years old and likely not treated great, but again i was questioning your rust holes the size of a fist happening in 4 years not 20+ years.

FYI; Misery isn't the rust belt either but all your Honda's apparently think they are in it.

oilhammer

TDI
Yeah, I guess that giant rust hole I see in that pic must be my cataracts... I guess all the recalls and complaints Honda has had about major structural rust must be my vivid imagination, too.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...ion-honda-accords-for-rust-issue-in-sub-frame

See that picture? THAT is what we see from the BOTTOM side.

The 2nd gens were under a goodwill campaign for giant rust holes around the fuel filler door. Yes, even in "Misery". And yes, even in as little as 4 years. Of course, I may have been imagining that, too. :rolleyes:

Go hang out on a Honda forum, this is old news. Honda has had rust problems since Honda has been selling vehicles with 4 wheels.

Sorry I forgot the exact year for the carb Accords, like I said, I have not serviced any of those in some 15 years... they've all rusted away. Japanese steel indeed.

Last edited:

BadMonKey

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Focus ST
Yeah, I guess that giant rust hole I see in that pic must be my cataracts... I guess all the recalls and complaints Honda has had about major structural rust must be my vivid imagination, too.

http://www.newsnet5.com/dpp/news/lo...ion-honda-accords-for-rust-issue-in-sub-frame

See that picture? THAT is what we see from the BOTTOM side.

Sorry I forgot the exact year for the carb Accords, like I said, I have not serviced any of those in some 15 years... they've all rusted away. Japanese steel indeed.

"The National Highway Traffic Safety Administration confirms it has received 11 complaints since 2009 of sub-frame rust that owners say has left their vehicles unsafe to operate."

WOW; 11 hole complaints! Must be a new record:rolleyes:

Next time your here in Colorado shoot me a PM. I'd gladly put my 23 year old rust bucket up on the rack for inspection. I'm cheating though as I have been under it recently.

I remember Toyota recalling my Tacoma for frame rust and it was good too. I guess with proper care its preventable?

oilhammer

TDI
There is an active recall on those Accords now, that is an old article.

Taco and Tundra frames rust through here, too. Toyota just installed a brand new frame under my friend's 2002 4dr Tacoma. Had it for 3 days.

Like I said, Colorado is FAR from a salty area. I know lots of people who have moved from there, and have friends there now that I frequently see. Stuff just doesn't rust there like it does here.

oilhammer

TDI
Oh, sorry, it is a warranty extension, NOT a recall. I know how you are about the details... :)

Windex

Top Post Dawg
TDI
05 B5V 01E FRF
Ooohh this thread brings me back - I owned an 83 civic sedan with faded red (pink) paint, complete with the 1.5L cvcc engine complete with a 3 barrel keihin carb.

Pain in the ass to set up, but once there, returned decent fuel economy.

Had the float in the primary bowl sink on my one day on the way home - wouldn't stay running unless I almost floored it, and went through about 3/4 of a tank of fuel in 50 kilometers. :D

Did my first ever clutch on that car... le sigh.

And yes, it was rusty.

leicaman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Golf TDI SE, 2005 TDI GLS, RIP
Amazing how far Honda has come. And sad that their newer cars have turned into bloated whales.
I can't believe how monster-like the current year Accord is. Automakers and their making things bigger, bigger, bigger, drives me nuts, really.

GoFaster

Moderator at Large
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI
I remember Toyota recalling my Tacoma for frame rust and it was good too. I guess with proper care its preventable?
You're in Colorado, and aren't in a position to discuss rust, compared to those east of you.

The first-generation Tacoma was recalled for inspection followed by either frame replacement or buy-out and scrapping, but it seems that their problems did not end there:

http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/2n...a-2nd-gen-terminal-frame-rot-rust-cancer.html

Sequoias and Tundras are affected, too.