And they said it wouldn't happen?

artemm

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
Damn. Haldex AWD and 2.0T. That thing will be awesome.

The only reason why I didn't go with a GTI, tbh.. I hate overly powerful FWD cars.

kzod

TDI
None (yet)
Wonder if they will send it Canada this time where we can really benefit from the AWD system?

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
wake me when the GTD arrives with the haldex

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
The Golf R is quite the beast and I was glad to read on VWvortex that VWoA finally decided to bring it to the U.S. However, the pricing (and this is to be expected) is relatively high and there are a number of really nice used cars you can pick up for that amount of money that will handily show up the Golf R. A barely-used CPO BMW 135i comes to mind.

geektoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen
As a parent, I'll take the 4 doors and AWD over the BMW's 30 extra HP.

...Oh and not having to be a BMW owner ;)

shortysclimbin

Veteran Member
TDI
Kubvan, mk2 golf, mk6 golf
hmmm another parts car for us, nice! :) I will keep my eyes out in the salvage yards for the conversion parts ;) no gtd in the usa is fine with me, just means I will need to weld my own;)

Pelican18TQA4

Veteran Member
TDI
'13 Jetta Hybrid
As a parent, I'll take the 4 doors and AWD over the BMW's 30 extra HP.

...Oh and not having to be a BMW owner ;)
The only bad part of owning a BMW is that everyone else is jealous :p If you want four doors and AWD, why not a 335xi? More ponies and clydesdales, slightly better performance, and more space to boot :) Don't get me wrong, if I were in the market for a new car in that price range, there's no question I'd pick up a four-door Golf R. The problem is, the slightly-used car market provides some VERY tough, and many may argue much better, competition in that price range.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
It's great VW is bringing the Golf R, however the would've shredded open my wallet if they brought the Bluesport Roadster to market. An overweight AWD GTI doesn't really entice me. If I wanted AWD I'd go buy an Evo IX.

artemm

TDI
2011 Golf TDI 4DR 6MT
It's great VW is bringing the Golf R, however the would've shredded open my wallet if they brought the Bluesport Roadster to market. An overweight AWD GTI doesn't really entice me. If I wanted AWD I'd go buy an Evo IX.
Overweight? It's ~150 lbs heavier. That's like telling your girlfriend to get out.

And you mean evo x right?

geektoad

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Sportwagen
The only bad part of owning a BMW is that everyone else is jealous :p If you want four doors and AWD, why not a 335xi? More ponies and clydesdales, slightly better performance, and more space to boot :) Don't get me wrong, if I were in the market for a new car in that price range, there's no question I'd pick up a four-door Golf R. The problem is, the slightly-used car market provides some VERY tough, and many may argue much better, competition in that price range.
True, there's definitely good competition in that price range for new/used/CPO, but I just like the Golf R. I'm not into BMWs (That's not to say they aren't good cars, far from it, but just not my thing), my tastes in MB are far above that price range, even used, etc. The Golf R just calls to me. Though this is all just theoretical anyway, as I love my JSW, and it's not going anywhere for quite a while :)

Mark_Seis_JSW

TDI
MKVI JSW
I'm excited, of course on paper there are tons of options that are priced better or perform better. I'd love to see the people that say get an STI EVO X or 370Z actually see the interior of those cars and drive them and then say they'd pick them.

Ryephile

Veteran Member
TDI
MkVI Golf
Overweight? It's ~150 lbs heavier. That's like telling your girlfriend to get out.

And you mean evo x right?
No, I definitely meant Evo IX. The 9 is a significantly better drivers car versus the 10. That said, they're both a very different type of car from the R, which is less hardcore track/rally monster and more sporty luxo-hatch. There's not the slightest veneer of luxury in the Evo's.

That aside, I'm having a tough time getting excited with the Golf R. It's only 150 pounds heavier than the GTI? I'll believe that when I see it on the scales. I'm having flashbacks to the R32 when it was really tough to rationalize the big price increase over a chipped GTI. Perhaps if VW really improved the steering feel and visceral sensations of the R versus the GTI it might be enough added excitement to warrant the price bump. I'd like to drive one before I come to any sort of conclusion, but these are my initial reactions from the facts presented so far. I probably shouldn't even be posting in this thread! :eek:

I'll put it this way: The Golf R will be fantastic for those that want a proper sporty car with a great interior and very good performance but aren't willing to cave into something that looks too old-man like an Audi A5 or neo-redneck like a Mustang or a D-bag in a BMW 3-er or rice-rocket like an STI. For the understated aficionado. :)

Frogwalking

TDI
2011 candy white Golf
I hate to sound like an engineer, but I just can't help it. Both the 370 and the 1 and 3 series BMW get really poor reliability ratings from Consumer's Report. They give the GTI an average and the TDI an above average for reliability. Even with the fuel pump thing, their actual reliability ratings are still above average. Of course, some people do not care about such things. ;)

back2vw

Veteran Member
TDI
2010 Golf TDI, 2016 Jetta GLI SEL
Having owned a late Subaru, I would rather have the golf R over a Subaru anything. Comfort and quality of VW seems so much better. The Golf R doesn't look like it would attract as much of the wrong attention like an STI or something would. Although I would rather have a more conventional mechanical AWD than the Haldex system. Personally I would rather see this car with a version of the VR6 again too.

And to the person who said the GTI is overly powerful, really? Surely you don't mean in stock form? I drove a couple of GTIs, and A3s with the 2.0T and the term "overly powerful" never came to mind. :confused:

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
Let's hope they bring in a manual transmission this time. DSG doesn't cut it, at least not for me.

EDIT: Just saw 6 speed manual on the VW site. Good.

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
This Haldex is supposed to be far better than the '04, not have the delay that setup had. Might be nice, even though I've never been a fan of AWD. I'd love to do a few laps on a track with one.