Trusted TDI Mechanics - By State

dagawa

TDI
2006 VW Jetta TDI
vwrobert51 said:
MAUI VW DEALER CLOSED DOWN :eek:VWROBERT51 RELOCATED TO AUTO TECH MAUI, NEW SERVICE POINT FOR MAUI TDI OWNERS same great service but without the dealer. stop by and check us out!:):cool:
I'm glad you landed somewhere Robert. Hopefully someone will update the front page. If I hadn't known to look for a post by you, I'd be in trouble right now!

I'll be seeing you guys on Monday, Dec. 10th.

hevster1

Vendor
TDI
98 NB
My Resume if you will:
ASE L1 Re-certified Master
Former 3 Time Toyota MDT
25 years Professional Experience
50 k or so of misc tools
TDI t-belt tools
Strut/Spring compressor
20 Ton Press
Vag-com Pro
I only use quality parts and will not take a job on if i don't like the parts being used.
I warranty my work in writing for 12 months/12500 miles

I think I covered it all.

tlhfirelion

TDI
None
any mechanics in SPringfield MO? I tried the other ones in Missouri besides the one in KC and the numbers are bad. Thanks!

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Or Email Jim at dieselgeek.com

I kow there is a shop in the area that gets a ton of parts from him. he could tell you where they are.

BobZ

Veteran Member
TDI
05 Passat tdi, 15 Passat TDI SE auto, 06 Sierra 6.6 DMax
D.A.R.E.
Dave's Automotive Repair Ent.
West Chester, PA
www.dareauto.com
(610) 696-7153
Ask for Jon - Awesome shop - does timing belts at a fair price and does extra work to do the job right.

nacho1337

TDI
2006.5 jetta tdi
I see alot of tdi cars ob the road in Reading, PA, but have not found a a mechanic in this area that service. Does anyone want to share where they get theirs service.

JettaChic04

TDI
2004 Jetta Wagon Dark Blue Metallic, 2012 Touareg Luxe Silver, 2015 Golf 4D, 2013 Q7
Greenbrier VW in Chesapeake VA

I just had a great experience with Stuggie at Greenbrier in Chesapeake, Virginia. He knows his stuff.

brtdi1998

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Louisiana mechanic

Does anybody know of a good tdi mechanic in the bato rouge, louisisana area. The only places i can find that are willing to touch my car are the dealership and Moberlys

tdTDI

TDI
03 Jetta Wagon
If you're anywhere near Atlanta Georgia, I can't say enough about TNTKNC (Troy). He replaced a failed fuel injection pump head seal on our 03 Jetta and saved us some major cash. Not only that, when we couldn't get our hands on a dolly to get our car to him, he was nice enough to volunteer to drive to our house - a 2 1/2 hour drive!!! He was professional, had all the goodies (vagcom, etc.) and we have been so happy with the work and so appreciative of his great service. He not only charged a very, very fair price, he saved us lots of $$$ we would have spent on a rebuilt IP done by either the dealership (which would have taken weeks) or some mechanic who couldn't spell TDI, let alone have experience working on one. I would trust Troy with my TDI anytime and would definitely tow my car to him any time.

2004Nick

Veteran Member
TDI
2004 Jetta TDI Wagon
State by state Expertise!

Can't thank you enough, JW---helpful beyond expectation!
Have a great New Years! Nick in British Columbia.

NBnext

TDI
98 NB, 97 Passat
TornadoRed said:
Did you try calling him? You know, on a telephone?
Thats the same kind of response I would expect from Mr Harv........
No Thanks to that!!!

Ready to crank my baby up.....and yes I love the fact its a New Beetle...lookin all stock from the outside......

Still need to find the TDI performance guru in Southern Calif for the
following mods:

1. Cat Filter Kit
2. Install Bernt Gauge Pod,Prosport Gauges, Bernt Gauge Pod, EGT Probe from TDI vendor....also pickup the Scangauge II
3. Dawes boost valve
4. Switch(Vag-Com) to RC3
5. 2 1/2 downpipe and Straight back exhaust
6. Hybrid Turbo 17/22?
7. Stainless Brake Lines

jasonTDI

TDI GURU Vendor , w/Business number
TDI
20' RAM 3500 CCLB dually HO/Aisan. 2019 Cherokee 2.0T
Hey, I recognize that interior.....

ianSF

TDI
Jetta
Can someone recomment a TDI savvy mechanic south of San Francisco on the peninsula? I'm now in San Bruno.

Looked at the reviews of the dealerships online and they're almost all bad. Need work on the serpentine belt (i think).

lupin..the..3rd

Veteran Member
TDI
Passat B4 1996
Just want to put in a plug for United Diesel in Alexandria, VA. I recently had them install some injector nozzles and pop test. Top notch service, very good quality. They completely disassembled the injectors and cleaned the bodies before re-assembling with new nozzles and shimming up to the correct pop pressure. Great price too.

Also, very euro-diesel knowledgable and they were eager to chat about upcoming VW common-rail, BMW 335d, and audi R8 TDI.

Highly recommend for all injector or IP type of work!! :)

Drivbiwire

Zehntes Jahr der Veteran
TDI
2013 Passat TDI, Newmar Ventana 8.3L ISC 3945, 2016 E250 BT, 2000 Jetta TDI

Just got my EPS 100 Injector tester!

-Version with volume correction and higher accuracy, as per ISO 8984 standard:
-For testing P, R, S and T size nozzle
-2-spring nozzle holders
I will be charging $100.00 (plus shipping) for tear down, ultrasonic cleaning of all internal components, installation of nozzles (if done at the time), testing (Break pressure, leak check, spray pattern quality evaluation).

Turn time is one day.

DB

Last edited:

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, 234K miles(SOLD)
Kentucky Guru(Paramedick) {Plug}

Paramedick(Bruce) near Lexington KY, did a great job at a reasonable price on my timing belt and intake cleaning(exchange). I won't hesitate to take the car back to him for anything else that might come up. The car is running much better and starting easier.

RD

herc269

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Timing belt change

What would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay for changing the timing belt including the . Does anyone now of a reliable mechanic in the Philadelphia area?

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2003 Jetta TDI wagon, silver; 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, indigo blue; 2003 Golf GL 5-spd, red (PARTED); 2003 Golf GLS 5-spd, indigo blue (SOLD); 2003 Jetta TDI wagon, Candy White (SOLD)
herc269 said:
What would be a reasonable amount to expect to pay for changing the timing belt including the . Does anyone now of a reliable mechanic in the Philadelphia area?
Several tdiclub-registered vendors offer deluxe timing belt kits for about $285-330, with slight variations in the number of extra bolts offered, and with different waterpump brands included.

As for labor, that depends on the person doing the work. There are some fine TDI mechanics who don't run a commercial operation -- they work out of their own garages (barns, driveways, your garage, etc.), on an appointment schedule, and they don't charge as much as...

...the other category, the guys who work on TDIs full-time, and have overhead expenses that must be paid. So they tend to charge a little more.

No one charges as much as VW dealerships.

What you look for in a TDI mechanic is: 1) experience, 2) the proper tools, and 3) an attitude that is professional and inquiring.

herc269

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
timing belt change

Thanks TornadoRed for the info, that's what I thought. I had gotten an estimate from a garage of $1000 dollars to do the change. I thought that was a little steep, to the point where I thought I might do it my self.

There wouldn't happen to be one of those fine TDI mechanics who don't run a commercial operation -- that work out of their own garages (barns, driveways, your garage, etc.), on an appointment schedule, and they don't charge as much, in the Philadelphia are on the forum that would be willing to do some work. I'd be willing to drive an hour.

TDIJetta99

Top Post Dawg
TDI
03... Faster than yours =]
You might have to go more than an hour.. Hevster1 is up in Columbia, NJ... He'll do the job right the first time. He's about an hour and a half from you. I'm a little farther away, about 2.5 hours if he doesn't have the time or can't do it for whatever reason.. I'm not sure what his labor rate is compared to mine, but we're both quite a bit under what the dealers get, plust it'll get done properly.

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
herc269 said:
There wouldn't happen to be one of those fine TDI mechanics who don't run a commercial operation -- that work out of their own garages (barns, driveways, your garage, etc.), on an appointment schedule, and they don't charge as much, in the Philadelphia are on the forum that would be willing to do some work. I'd be willing to drive an hour.
I've driven 100 miles to have the job done right, and I would have traveled further if necessary. TDIJetta99 and Hevster are both within driving range -- don't trust some local guy just because he's closer. FWIW, there are guys in southern New England who drive up to Maine to let HermTDI (Herm Tasker) work on their cars -- despite the fact that there are other TDI pros who are closer.

Since you gave some thought to doing it yourself... it would be very helpful to watch a few TB changes performed by someone else, before you tackle it yourself. Many of the gurus listed in this thread let you watch, ask questions, and turn the procedure into a real learning experience. You get to see what parts have to be moved or removed to access the TB area... you get to see how the special tools are used to lock the cam and injection pump, set the tensioner, turn over the engine without using the starter, etc.

So don't look at this as an unnecessarily long drive -- think of it as an educational opportunity, comparable to a museum visit or a trip to a sports hall of fame.

herc269

TDI
1998 Jetta TDI
Thank you for the advise, and you are absolutely correct about driving any reasonable distance to have the vehicle serviced by someone reliable especially if it's going to turn out to be an education. Which I'm sure it would be.
I just contacted the previous owner of the vehicle and found out that the timing belt was changed around 120,000 miles. It currently has 144,000 miles on it, so it appears that I probably don't have to change the TB at least another 40,000 miles.
However I am having another problem which I would require the assistance of one of the "Gurus" that are on the forum. I've been searching the forum for as much info as possible and found a wealth of knowledge, but i will need someone with a VAG-COM to help me solve. I've already contacted some people off of the VAG-COM list for help.
The problem I'm having, which seems to be common, is that I don't seem to be getting much acceleration. It seems to me that I'm not getting much booste from the Turbo at all.

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
herc269 said:
I just contacted the previous owner of the vehicle and found out that the timing belt was changed around 120,000 miles. It currently has 144,000 miles on it, so it appears that I probably don't have to change the TB at least another 40,000 miles.
When I bought my TDI 3years ago it had 104k miles on it. I checked vehicle records from dealer and found out that dealer replaced TB at 102k miles but I didn't know what exactly been replaced and if they used correct tools. Later about 30k or less I bought dieselgeek TB kit and replaced just for the safety of it. Atleast now I know that TB was done right, and don't have to worry about. I would recommend get it checked by guru and replaced to be safe.

CTD&TDI

Veteran Member
TDI
2006 Jetta TDI DSG Pkg?
Whose trustworthy in cincy? Sorry paramedick, im n.e. of cincy and versailles it too long of a haul. Ive been using Dubwerx, and they seem good but i think they're more gasser knowledgable than tdi...

Last edited:

TornadoRed

Top Post Dawg
TDI
CTD&TDI said:
Whose trustworthy in cincy? Sorry paramedick, im n.e. of cincy and versailles it too long of a haul. Ive been using Dubwerx, and they seem good but i think they're more gasser knowledgable than tdi...
http://www.cincitdi.com/

Motor7

Veteran Member
TDI
99.5 Jetta, 234K miles(SOLD)
Herc,
Be carefull with that dealership change. Paramedick found 2 things wrong with mine:
-the supposedly 100K belt was a 60K.
-the tensioner & one roller likely had never been changed and were both sloppy enough to feel in you hand when turning/spinning.

Either one of these could have failed and "lunched" the top end. For $300-400 in labor you can remove alot of assumption worry. Besides you get 100K miles out of a new TB job, well worht it!
RD

BinTHEgrove

TDI
03 GLS TDI
MN mechanic

I've read through the post and saw only a couple listings for MN trusted mechanics. One, deafbug who's site isn't available and then a few others but they looked like generic posts with no input backing the mechanics. Anyone pleased with a TDI mechanic near St.Paul, MN. I'm nearing my timing belt change.

Thanks much!

Losha

Veteran Member
TDI
06 Jetta TDI DSG, 2001 Golf TDI, Audi S6, A8, Toureg
BinTHEgrove said:
I've read through the post and saw only a couple listings for MN trusted mechanics. One, deafbug who's site isn't available and then a few others but they looked like generic posts with no input backing the mechanics. Anyone pleased with a TDI mechanic near St.Paul, MN. I'm nearing my timing belt change.

Thanks much!
Try to contact DeafBug and he will recommend you who to contact to get your TB;) . I personally know only DeafBug in MN and another tdiclub member.