1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Last edited:

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
MT demise in the Cruze

Thanks for posting the correct link.
With the increasing scarcity and maybe even the demise of the MT (manual tranny,) will up and coming mechanics still be schooled in how to service them?
Recently at the dentist I asked about the price differential b/t an amalgam (silver) and composite (white) restoration. The price difference ($20) and tooth location (#32 lower right, back of the mouth) made the amalgam option my choice. Apparently the (younger) dentist had little experience w/ amalgams as the (older) hygienist talked her through the process. I was bemused, and felt a little put off by the experience. (Should I have requested a warranty on the work? :rolleyes:)
I wonder if working on MT will become a lost art?

IndigoBlueWagon

TDIClub Enthusiast, Principal IDParts, Vendor , w/
TDI
'97 Passat, '99.5 Golf, '02 Jetta Wagon, '15 GSW
First, I think there will be mechanics around for the forseeable future that can replace clutches. Transmission internal work isn't really that feasible these days, it's often cheaper to replace the transmission.

And why would you want a silver filling?

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
They are far less likely to shatter and fall out? I have broken twocomposite/ceramic crowns . . . the gold ones they were replaced with just rock on . . . not quite the same, but the best thing about the composite is the color . . . and not much else!

Art van Law

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 JSW
And why would you want a silver filling?
My decision based purely on price. I am unaware of any difference beside cosmetic. Fill me in if there are others...
The office billed Delta Dental $174 of which I was told to pay $74. (Would have been $94 had I gone w/ the composite restoration.)

truman

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'05 Passat Variant, Still miss the 03JW
Mercury(primary ingredient in a silver filling) in my tooth makes about as much sense as lead plumbing. I have read that up to 13% of the mercury contamination in our rivers comes from dental offices. The EPA and state agencies are starting to require amalgam traps on dental office waste water. Mercury is a problem in the sewer, but not in your tooth?
Mercury fillings are cheaper and more durable, but the hidden cost may be a concern.
Amalgam is an alloy, not a compound. There is constant minute release of mercury over time.

tadawson

Veteran Member
TDI
2013 Passat TDI SEL, 2015 Passat TDI SEL
It's a part of the alloy, and thus captive, and a total non-problem . . . Much like the lead weights on your wheels or asbestos insulation contained in a wall . . . Just because something can be toxic in some cases does not mean it always is . . .

Last edited:

BKmetz

Administrator, Member #10
Staff member
TDI
2015 Passat, titanium beige, 6MT
It's a part of the alloy, and thus captive, and a total non-problem . . . Much like the lead weights on your wheels or asbestos insulation contained in a wall . . . Just because something can be toxic in some cases does not mean it always is . . .
Ok, this is absolutely the last post about fillings. One more off-topic post and ALL the off topic posts get deleted.

Fair warning.

:rolleyes:

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
Are there any new cruze diesel stickshifts still on dealer lots?

If so they might be 'red-tagged', 25% or 30% below MSRP, maybe nice price for some readers here. The MSRP for these new cruze diesels is about the same as for a 2006 Jetta TDI .

I paid MSRP for my 06 Jetta TDI, about $26000 ;
11 years later, paying about $9000 less for the arguably-superior (!) cruze diesel seems like quite a bargain .

oilhammer

Certified Volkswagen Nut & Vendor
TDI
There are just too many to list....
The guy I bought my latest Golf from bought a new(ish) Cruze with a lifetime gearbox. 2018. May be one of the last ones, he had to travel to get it, too.

KLXD

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'98, '2 Jettas
Was bored one evening so I filled out the quote request on three Chevy dealers for a Cruze, Diesel, manual.

Two contacted me for "more information", only one provided a quote. It was for an auto. About 17k. She kindly provided another for comparison. I was thinking hot dog! That's not bad. Then I realized it didn't mention Diesel.

After more back and forth she said she didn't have a stick, and would have to do some looking but would I be open to an auto. My reply was "NO! Not an auto, not a Camaro, not a Toyota".

I subsequently found, using the Chevy corporate site, that a nearby dealer had three with sticks. But they were around $23

Maybe they don't sell sticks because they don't order them. Then when I guy comes in looking for one they don't have it so they talk the schmuck into buying what they have.

vwestlife

Veteran Member
TDI
1997 B4 Passat TDI sedan (sold)
Try this:

https://www.chevrolet.com/search-inventory

There's only one diesel Cruze in stock in my area, an automatic sedan with a sticker price of $29,680! :eek: It must be loaded with every possible option.

But it is the norm for Chevy dealers to give huge discounts ($4-5k) off of the sticker price, to make it look like you're getting a great deal. It is rumored that GM purposely inflates the MSRP of their vehicles to allow this to happen routinely.

eli

Veteran Member
TDI
2017 Cruze stickshift 2019 Terrain
last week I found 24 new cruze diesels nationwide, various body styles & transmissions.. sedan is the value-leader. hatchback always costs thousands extra. As for facts about chevy dealers & pricing, probably that's not an expertise area here on tdiclub as much as 'rumors about gm'. in fact, any new chevy can become available for 25% or 30% off MSRP if it sits on dealer lot long enough, which diesels tend to do. expand search radius and sort by low-price and any 'stale' red-tagged new diesel cruzes will pop to the top on the search sites.