Out of the cocoon! New 2015 Golf owner: White TDI SEL

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
So as some might have seen in the MK5 section my wife safely made it out of an accident with an International 4300 and while she is still getting checked out, she is for the most part 100%.

We had planned on getting either a forester, civic, or golf and decided on this golf this time around. The TDI SE with DSG was our top choice but my wife has short legs and the seat in the SE was just too long for her, so we bumped up to the SEL and gained some eye candy, comfort in the seats, but lost the Xenon headlights which is fine because these halogens are sufficient.
If we had the choice we would have gotten the lighting package and driver assistance package but we just didnt have the time.

As of day 2, we love the car and keep finding more and more goodies that we missed during the 2 minute test drive (paddle shifters for one are kinda neat).

!!!There is one con!!! It came with an iPOD cable and I am an android guy. No USB plug in either? This is silly considering now we need to use one of the 12v plugs for the phone. Yeah yeah some will say that is not important but with all the other features this was sorely overlooked by VW.

PICS!
http://imgur.com/a/b4Axy#0

Last edited:

pillboxhat

TDI
15' Golf (Formerly owned 240D, 00 Beetle, 06 Jetta
Congratulations.
Great pictures.
I have the black SEL.
I too love it.

I too have an awesome dog.

RIP TDI

Top Post Dawg
TDI
'15 GSW SE 6MT...... '01 Golf GLS 5MT.... '96 Passat Variant....
The TDI SE with DSG was our top choice but my wife has short legs and the seat in the SE was just too long for her, so we bumped up to the SEL and gained some eye candy, comfort in the seats
I'm curious about the difference between the "comfort sport" seats in your SEL and the SE's seats which didn't work for your wife. I'm guessing the main difference is the amount of power adjustments but your comment suggests there are padding differences too.

obababoy

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf TDI,
Well the SEL for lack of a better term has ribbed cusioning which seems to be slightly softer but it was more the length of the bottom cushion on the SEL that seemed slightly shorter as well as the ability to adjust lumbar which pushes her forward a bit more. We were content on the SE but we did want the black interior and the one they had in white did not have black.

I will say the SEL bolsters you a bit better but id be concerned for wider framed men and women in the SEL

The SE we drove had the pull out storage drawer under the driver seat which this SEL did not have...If it fits in the SEL I might get one. That was pretty neat for driver storage.

Another note, the car is definitely wider/roomier because the arm rest on the door and center console are farther away than on the 06.

Arturo

TDI
2014 Beetle Convertible TDI
Congratulations! Post some fuel mileage figures asap, Im curious how that new EA288 engine does.

srs5694

Veteran Member
TDI
2015 Golf SE TDI, MT
FWIW, there are aftermarket products that provide at least some of what the Driver Assistance package provides. Mobileye, for instance, does lane-drift warnings (which Driver Assistance does not do, at least in the US) and collision warnings, but not parking assistance. I've seen similar products on eBay for much less, but I don't think I trust the cheaper ones, which look like modified dash-cams; they probably lack the CPU power to do a good job at what they claim to do.

omahamike

TDI
2015 SEL
Me too!

So as some might have seen in the MK5 section my wife safely made it out of an accident with an International 4300 and while she is still getting checked out, she is for the most part 100%.
We had planned on getting either a forester, civic, or golf and decided on this golf this time around. The TDI SE with DSG was our top choice but my wife has short legs and the seat in the SE was just too long for her, so we bumped up to the SEL and gained some eye candy, comfort in the seats, but lost the Xenon headlights which is fine because these halogens are sufficient.
If we had the choice we would have gotten the lighting package and driver assistance package but we just didnt have the time.
As of day 2, we love the car and keep finding more and more goodies that we missed during the 2 minute test drive (paddle shifters for one are kinda neat).
!!!There is one con!!! It came with an iPOD cable and I am an android guy. No USB plug in either? This is silly considering now we need to use one of the 12v plugs for the phone. Yeah yeah some will say that is not important but with all the other features this was sorely overlooked by VW.
PICS!
http://imgur.com/a/b4Axy#0
I have a 2015 Golf TDI SEL, and the first thing I bought was a cable that plugs into that plug behind the shiny black door under the radio/Navigation unit that gives me a USB female end to plug in those flash drives (up to 32Gb) full of MY music! VW has the cable for about $75.00, but I bought mine from China for less than $8 because I was in no particular hurry to get it! It works well, but when stopping and starting your car, like when shopping, the system will often times forget that it's there, and you have to unplug and re-insert the flash drive. I don't know if it's the cable or the flash drive, but for the money I have invested in it, I just tolerate it!! Maybe the one from VW works better, but I highly doubt it! And there is an app so you can use your non-Apple phone (called "Android now" or "Android +") Check Google play for the app.

1854sailor

Resident Curmudgeon
TDI
2015 Golf SE SportWagen, 2015 Golf SE Hatch Back.
This solved the USB problem for me. Sits nice and flush over the 12v outlet in front of the center armrest...
I believe that the OP was asking about a USB input for the head unit, not just a charger. And that was 4 years ago... :D

740GLE

Top Post Dawg
TDI
2015 Passat SEL, 2017 Alltrack SE; BB 2010 Sedan Man; 2012 Passat,
Also the under seat drawer won't work on SEL due to the full power seats, but alas this is news for a 4 year old thread.